My Annual Birthday Post: A Day in the Life

This week has been interesting to say the least.  The markets, the coronavirus, the impacts of the coronavirus...if feels like it's a whole new world we are living in!

But, today I am attempting to ignore all that, because today is my 33rd birthday!  I've done various birthday posts over the years...

Twenty-Nine where I share 29 facts about me.  Not much has changed, except I do like coffee now!

My Birth Story which is actually a post my mom wrote!  I will forever cherish having this story recorded.

31 Things For My 31st Birthday is another 'facts about me' post.  Looking back at that one, it seems all pretty current, although I give myself 5 extra minutes to sleep in the morning, haha.  And while I still enjoy pinot noir, my current red wine favorite is the Shiraz from Trader Joe's!

32...These are a few of my favorite things...covers a range of my favorite things, from cookbooks to shoes, to mascara, and of course, my family!

...and today I thought I would do one of my very favorite posts - a day in the life.  

I absolutely love reading these posts, and enjoy looking back on them myself.  My days aren't all that crazy and exciting (especially this past Wednesday, which is what I documented), but those low key days are some of my favorites.

I woke up around 4:00, and had a tough time going back to sleep, knowing I would be up again in a half hour.  I always wonder if it would be better just to get up in those cases, Wednesday was not the day I was going to try that, though, haha.  My alarm went off at 4:30, and I struggled for about 10 minutes to actually get out of bed.  It was so warm and comfy!  But, alas, it was time to get up, so I put in my contacts and threw on my workout clothes before heading downstairs.  I filled up a glass of water and plopped in my chair to read my devotional and write in my gratitude journal.  It's been really a great way to start the day.  And since I started doing my gratitude journal in the mornings (fill in things from the previous day), I have been so consistent with it, and I really feel like it's had a favorable effect on me overall.  I scroll through instagram for a minute, then make my way to my Peloton.

I shoot to get on my Peloton around 5 or shortly thereafter.  Since I knew I would be having a really hard workout the following day in my training session, I opted for a low impact ride with Robin - she is my very favorite instructor.  Even though the ride was low impact, I still feel like I got in a nice workout to start the day. 

I grabbed my computer, fixed up a few things on my blog, read another blog, and then made my way to the kitchen.

For some reason, I was really beat the night before and did pretty much nothing to prepare for the following day, so I had to get my lunch together that morning, as well as tidy the kitchen up a bit.  Luckily that didn't take very long, but I still was kicking myself for not getting to it the night before.

The rest of the morning before work was spent getting ready, and as always, making my bed.  I have always been pretty consistent about making my bed, but my mom told me once that making your bed in the morning makes you happier.  I think she saw it on one of the morning shows.  I totally buy into that, because even if the rest of my room is a mess, it still feels somewhat put together as long as the bed is made.  And you get that sense of accomplishment, too, to help start the day.

I grabbed my things, and headed off to work.  I swear, sometimes the amount of stuff I take with me to work, or my car for later makes me feel like a pack mule!  Today was a lighter load, but sometimes there is a gym bag added in there, a bag of library books to go back, and occasionally a return or two.  Or some baked goods to go to work.

My work schedule is pretty nice.  I get in a bit earlier, so I don't have to work until the traditional 5:00.  I usually get done 4:00, or shortly thereafter.  I know it's pretty common these days for companies to have more flexible start/stop times, but it still feels like a really nice perk.  And even though it's just an hour, I feel like it makes a huge difference.

As with most, my company has been continuing to increase precautions to ensure that employees stay healthy, and things can run business as usual.  We got some news this day about additional precautions that are expected to be implemented the following week.  While expected, it still was a lot to think about, especially with quarter end busyness just a few weeks away.  I know everything will be fine and it will all work out, but these really are just interesting times!

I had a return to make after work at Michaels.  I grabbed a garland from there over the weekend that I contemplated using on my mantle, but ended up going a different route.

On my way home, I gave my parents a call to catch them up on what's been going on around here with the virus.  I email my mom almost every week day, but sometimes it's nice to talk on the phone.  Especially when my dad is there, too.

I had no evening plans, so my pjs went on right after I got home.  I opened the curtains/shades to let the light in, fixed myself a snack, lit a candle, and sat down for a bit.

When I was putting away my plate, I went through the mail quickly and had a birthday card from my aunt and uncle.  Definitely made for a happy mail day!  

I have really enjoyed how it's staying lighter later these days, but it does kind of throw me for a loop.  I tend to lose track of time without the marker of it getting darker out, and ended up starting on dinner a little later than normal.  I made the sour cream chicken enchiladas from the Magnolia Table cookbook.  These are so darn good, and I always split a recipe into two pans, one to eat now and one to freeze for later.

While they were baking and I was cleaning things up from the prep, I also got my lunch together for the next day.  I find it easiest to do either right when I get home, or while I am making dinner.  Others have said they do it when they clean up after dinner, which I think is another great idea, too, because not all meals have hands off time.

I have been intermittent fasting so I usually try to eat between 11:00 and 7:00 each day, but since I got a later start on dinner, I sat down to eat just a bit after that.  It was soooo darn good.

I had a few things I had planned on getting done, but after dinner I wasn't necessarily feeling all that productive, so I settled on the couch and watched a few shows.  I feel like I am so used to fast forwarding through shows, but letting the commercials actually play has been helpful in making sure I get the kitchen cleaned up earlier, etc.

Before I headed to bed for the evening, I put the pillows back on the couch.  Kind of like with having a clean kitchen, it's always nice to do that before the end of the night, so when I go downstairs in the morning, I am not greeted with a little mess.

I washed up and read a little bit more of my current book, Undercover by Danielle Steel.  I think this is my first book of hers, at least that I can remember, and while it took me a bit to get used to her writing style, I have really started to enjoy it!

I thought I grabbed a screenshot when I called it a night, but it's not in my camera roll, so apparently I didn't, but I was out and most likely asleep right before 10.

And that was one of my last days as a 32 year old!

All in all, I feel like 32 was pretty good to me.  While life looks quite a bit different than I would have expected years ago, it's had some pretty high highs.  So cheers to that - hopefully 33 will bring even more of those!  

Linking up with Erika and Andrea. 


  1. Happy belated birthday my beauty! Your living room looks so cozy. I hope you have a sweet weekend and stay healthy!

  2. I love these posts too! Happy birthday to you and I hope that it's a wonderful time for you!! Side note, I really want to test out the pelaton! xo, Biana-BlovedBoston

  3. Happy belated birthday, I hope it was a lovely one! It's nice that you have these posts to look back on, I'd love to do something similar xo

    Makeup Muddle

  4. Happy belated birthday, Emily! Cheers to a wonderful 33 for you! Hoping this COVID nonsense is gone soon so 2020 can get back to greatness!

  5. I so enjoyed reading about your ordinary day. Happy Birthday, Emily. I hope year 33 is the best yet!

  6. Happy Birthday, Emily! (Yes, I am late but still wish you a special NEW year!) I am hopeful that you will be able to get all of your work done from home and I am seriously considering jumping on the peloton bandwagon ... just need to budget for it and figure out where in the world I'd put it in my small apartment! What's your plans for the bday weekend, if anything?

    1. Thank you! I had some fun celebrations this weekend - a few dinners and a brunch! It was a really great weekend and the perfect way to spend the time before hunkering down here at home. FYI - Peloton is offering a free 90 trial for their app. Might be worth checking!!

  7. I haven't read a Danielle Steel book in forever. Happy Belated Birthday. I love reading day in the life of posts.

  8. I've thought about intermittent fasting so many times but I just can't give up my evening frozen yogurt! And happy happy birthday again!!

  9. after 4 years of suffering . my husband left me and my kids hated me for no reason, i got sacked at work without any genuine reasons, i shared tears daily living a lonely life but i was determined to know what is the cost of my predicament, one day as i was going through some articles on the internet i saw a testimony of mrs Vanessa testifying how she got her life revived by dr ojieabu the honest man and i quickly contacted him VIA ( ) and i explained my situation to him and he told me my ex who i broke up with to marry my husband was responsible for my misfortune and he vows to frustrate my life because i didn't marry him.
    dr Ojieabu ask me what i wanted him to do to my ex who is after my life i told him to cast a dead spell on him because as long as he is alive he will never allow me a moment of peace , which he did and within 3 days he was dead and since his death my life have been so transformed, my kids now love me and my husband is back to me i latter got a call to return to work that the sack was a mistake , wow what a miracle .. thanks allot dr Ojieabu. you can contact dr Ojieabu via call or whatsapp +2347087681025 or through his email