Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Pesto 4 Ways

I have recently discovered my love for pesto.  My boss gave me a few tomatoes from his garden, and I instantly thought of caprese salad, and I knew that sometimes people added pesto in there, too.  I found some at the grocery store, and it has been one of my favorite things since!  I feel like you can eat it so many ways, and I wanted to share the different ways I have been loving it lately.

BUITONI®  Pesto with Basil  (7 oz.)

1.  Caprese Pesto Salad.  I sliced a tomato and some fresh mozzarella cheese, then layered as follows: tomato, pesto and cheese.  Repeat.  I plated this, then over top drizzled some olive oil and ground black pepper.  SO GOOD.  This is the perfect app for a party, or in my opinion, a light meal.

2.  Caprese Pesto Burger.  This isn't really any different from number one, because all you do is add a burger to the mix, but it was super good, so I thought I would separate the two.  I wasn't quite full from the salad, so I was trying to figure out what else to have.  I had a burger patty I had grilled up earlier in the week, so I just warmed it up, then topped with tomato, pesto and mozz cheese.  I ate it with a fork and knife and oh my word, was it good!

3.  Tomato, Avocado, Pesto Salad.  I don't know if you would call this a salad, or a dip or a topping, or what, but combining all three of these things is delicious!  So light and refreshing.  I just cut the tomato and avocado in smallish chunks, then combined with some pesto.  I did add a little bit of ground black pepper and salt, but just a minimal amount.  I paired mine with a veggie burger, some of which I ate by itself, some of which I ate on top of the veggie burger and some of which I ate on top of a crostini.  Again, all very good!  I think this would also pair really well with grill chicken, or like I mentioned a crustini / toasted bread.

4.  Pesto Pasta.  The obvious way to use pesto - with pasta!  I boiled rigatoni noodles, then after I drained them, I plated the pasta, then added a good amount of pesto to mix in.  Note, I did not heat up the pesto at all - it was just room temp when I combined. 

One way I have not tried, but plan on doing so at some point, is mixing pesto with sweet potatoes and roasting.  My mom raved about these sweet potatoes that my sister in law made, using pesto, and she isn't even really a sweet potato fan!

I'd love to hear if you are a pesto fan and if so, your favorite way to use it!        

Linking up with Lindsay and Whitney.

12 comments:

  1. Seriously....give me all the pesto! And this is my favorite brand. If you have never made Shay's baked chicken pesto tacos get on that pronto. So delish! I make a pasta salad with this stuff and the buitoni tortellini and it is amazing and always a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am totally trying all of these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, now I am craving this and it's only 8am! Have you ever made your own pesto? It's pretty easy and you can pack in a lot of nutritious things like kale, spinach, broccoli etc. I could slather it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your pesto combinations sound delicious! Pesto caprese grilled cheese and baked pesto chicken are two of my go-tos. I have found so many good pesto recipes on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, the next time I go to the grocery store I am SO finding some pesto. All of these recipes sound so good. Especially the Caprese Pesto Salad. These are all so perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love Pesto and these recipes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never get enough pesto either! It's just so good! That Caprese Pesto Burger sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love pesto pasta, pesto on paninis and pesto chicken salad. You just can't go wrong with it and it's so easy to add into any dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PESTO! We just ate some chicken pesto pasta last night- i cook spaghetti and put it in a 9x13 dish. Then pour pesto on top of noodles. Add raw chicken, tomatoes, and mozzerella cheese and then some more pesto! Bake for about 45 minutes! YUM! You have some good ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great ideas for how to use pesto! I think I've commented before that I'm a huge fan! I love it the most on a sandwich as a spread. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay a caprese burger sounds SO GOOD. Perfect for summer! Pesto is the best-I love all of the ideas you have for preparing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuum! These are all great ways to use pesto! I never think to buy it, but now I'm going to!

    ReplyDelete