Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Homemade Iced Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato

This is my very favorite iced coffee drink.  I stumbled upon it by accident at Starbucks - aka they gave me the wrong drink, but I didn't realize that until after the fact, and I figured hey, why not and gave it a try.  It is my go to when craving a cold coffee drink.  

I also stumbled upon the idea of making it at home when I saw an episode of The Pioneer Woman - she was making her spicy cowgirl coffee that is sold at The Mercantile, at home.  My biggest thing was I didn't know how to make coffee.  I don't have a coffee maker and I had always heard that making cold coffee is much different than making regular coffee and just putting it in the fridge or adding in some ice cubes.  However, she shared a super easy way of making cold brew at home, and once I saw what the coconut milk mocha macchiato ingredients were, I figured I could do it myself!

Before sharing the recipe, I want to note that this is a bit of a two part recipe.  I always let the coffee sit over night, then proceed with the actual drink the next day.  More on that below!



Homemade Iced Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato
1/2 cup ground espresso
2 quarts water
Coconut milk
Chocolate syrup
Ice


(I forgot to include the espresso canister in the picture, but I found ground espresso in the coffee aisle at my local grocery store.)

First, make the coffee (recipe for this found here from The Pioneer Woman).  To do that, you will want to take 1/2 cup of ground espresso and mix with 2 quarts of water.  I have a big measuring bowl from Pamper Chef in which I do this in.  I mix the two together, cover it up, and then let it sit out on the counter overnight.

In the morning, I strain the coffee by taking paper towels, a strainer and a big bowl.  I place the bowl in the sink, put the strainer that has paper towels in it on top of the bowl, then pour the coffee onto the papers towels / strainer.  I then wash my original container, and put the coffee back in.  The coffee then goes into the fridge.  The Pioneer Woman says that this can last up to a month in an airtight container, which is what I go by.

To make the actual drink coconut milk mocha macchiato, I take a medium size mason jar, ice, coffee (fill about 3/4 of the way), add in the coconut milk (probably ends up being about 1/8 cup), then top off with some chocolate syrup.  I put the lid back on the mason jar, then shake it up.  I add some ice to a tumbler or glass, then, using the flat lid part of the mason jar to keep the ice in it, I pour the coffee drink into my cup.  Then, enjoy!

As I am writing this out, it kind of seems like a bit of a process, but I promise you, it really is not complicated at all.  And obviously, you can mess with how much of each ingredient you add into the drink, depending on your tastes.  The hardest part is probably making the coffee since you have to strain it, but once you have it done, then you have loads of coffee to make drinks with!    

After trying my hand at this, next I really want to attempt the cinnamon almond milk macchiato - my favorite warm drink!

What is your favorite coffee drink?  Do you make it at home, or grab it from your favorite coffee shop?

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.

12 comments:

  1. Anytime you can make a delicious drink at home and save money but not compromise on taste is a win!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This sounds delish! I've never had coconut milk before, I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol about how you "discovered" the drink at Starbucks 😂☕️ I've never tried cold brewing at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, Emily! I love this idea and I'm definitely saving it for later. Starbucks has the best drinks but it's even better when you can recreate them at home and save all of that money! Enjoy your day at work today!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy and saving starbucks money is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!!! Going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally going to try this. I love fancy iced drinks but they're pricey at the store so an at home alternative is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I've never tried coconut milk but sounds delish even to use as a coffee creamer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! I'd always told myself that making iced coffee drinks at home was too complicated, but your recipe sounds really doable. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious! I've never made cold brew at home. This would be a great first recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't tried this one but it sounds really good! I can't wait for the cinnamon almond milk macchiato recipe!!!! I had one this morning and they are just soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I've been wanting to try making cold brew coffee at home since last summer and never got around to it- I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete