Thursday, February 16, 2017

Guest Post: Sarah @ Meet the Shaneyfelts

Hey y'all!  I'm so happy that Emily is allowing me to write on her space today!  We've been blog friends for a long time now and just realized that we've never guest posted on each other's blogs, so we're fixing that today!

So allow me to introduce myself to y'all!  I'm Sarah and I blog at Meet the Shaneyfelts, where I blog about everything ranging from eating healthy, fashion, books I read, and just life in general.

Since I'm on a journey to lose the weight I gained during graduate school (and to become healthier overall), I wanted to share a few things that help me when I lack motivation for eating healthy or exercising.  Because trust me when I say I wish I had the metabolism where I could eat all the pizza and cookie cake I wanted and not have to worry about working out.  But that's not real life.

1. Have someone to keep you accountable.
Since the new year has started, this has been the biggest blessing for me.  I have two friends who are in a group text and we keep each other accountable with eating healthy.  So when I feel like I could eat a cookie, I remember that I have to text them ha!  It works!  If you don't have someone that you can depend on for that accountability, have a notebook that you keep with you where you write down everything you eat.  I read that Carrie Underwood did that to help her lose weight because she didn't want to have to write down the fattening foods.  I also have a coworker who helps to keep me accountable because she's into a healthy lifestyle and working out, so we get each other and the daily struggles.

2. Plan out your meals for the week.
Meal planning is the best way to ensure that you will eat healthy.  You'll have the ingredients on hand and you'll know when you need to defrost meat for that night's meal.

3. Plan out your workouts for the week.
When I started training for my first half marathon, I ran 4 days a week--Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and then Saturday was for a long run.  I strive to follow that same schedule for working out.  I try to be flexible and allow myself grace when I miss a day.  But I try to keep it at 3 workouts a week minimum.  Sometimes it's best to pencil them into your planner so you are able to prioritize those and plan around your workouts.

4. Switch up your workouts.
I'm at a place now where I'm tired of running.  It was a solo workout for me, and now I'm tired of working out alone.  When you get tired of going to the gym, then look on Youtube for a workout.  Youtube has a great variety of workouts for every level, so you really don't even need a gym membership.  Popsugar and Fitness Blender are two of my favorite channels to choose workouts from.

5. Read blogs or magazines that inspire you to be healthier.
When you are striving to be healthy, then I fully believe in surrounding yourself with people who are healthy.  I love reading Shape or Women's Health mag, and I love finding new blogs to read that promote a healthy and active lifestyle.  My most recent fav: Living Loving Paleo.  I'm not a paleo person but I'm starting to cook a few paleo recipes.

Sarah, thanks so much for sharing your tips.  Having someone to keep you accountable is so true.  I can totally attest to that!  One day last week I had zero desire or motivation, but you totally helped me overcome that and I got my workout in!  Thanks again!

Do you all have any other tips that help to keep you motivated when you are struggling with your healthy eating habits and getting your workout done?  

Linking up with Annie.

9 comments:

  1. These are all great tips. And so fun to switch blogs for the day!! So glad I've met y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun post! I totally agree with writing everything you eat down, I've been doing that for a month and I can see a difference. I also love the workouts you can find on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great tips! Writing/posting what you are eating absolutely keeps you more accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COOOOKIE CAAAAKE! We all know how much I like that!!!! Haha. But seriously, I agree with all of these tips 100%. Having someone to help you stay accountable is HUGE and sadly I don't have anyone. :o( I need so badly to find a work out buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came over from Sarah's blog and I've gone a binge reading past posts of yours and I'm hooked! I'm so glad y'all guest posted for each other :)

    xoxo, SS

    Southern And Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! Writing everything down is key while you are forming a habit. Then, it becomes second nature. Even working in fitness, I still write down our meal plan for the week to hold me accountable for following through instead of ordering take out in a moment of weakness.

    The Lovely Latte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im a firm believer in meal planning and workout planning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Sarah's tips! Being accountable and planning..food and workouts is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice!! I can tell a big difference when I'm documenting and talking to others about my workout routine. I stick with it much better when I'm accountable to someone else.

    ReplyDelete