Wednesday, January 11, 2017

2017 New Year's Resolutions

I love the start of a new year.  It always feels like a fresh start, and goes hand in hand with setting new goals - my favorite.  Last year, I went with 3 main resolutions for the year, while setting smaller goals each month (see my January 2017 Goals here).  It worked relatively well for me, so I thought I would do the same this year.

Image result for 2017 resolutions

1.  Read the Bible, find a church.  Re-establishing my faith is something I have been thinking hard about the past year or so, maybe a bit longer.  I purchased the One-Year Bible (it's set up so that you can read the entire thing in a year) last year, but my OCD had me waiting until January 1 of this year to read it, so that the days matched up.  So far I have kept up with it, reading before bed, or in the morning.  As far as church goes, growing up, we went to church regularly, and I remember feeling so great after going.  I loved the music, and while some of the sermons could go on, you just feel a sense of good after being in church.  I have a few options around here that I want to try out and see if they are good fits for me.  

2.  Organize everything.  Last year, many of my monthly goals were cleaning out this, or cleaning out that.  While some of my reorganization / purging projects went well and are still working for me today, like my bathroom reorganization, my closet feels like it back to a mess, as does all my filing / paperwork.  I want to really focus on organizing in such a way that it will stick for the long haul.  Not only does it make things easier to find, it also just helps with my state of mind.  Lizzie shared this article which speaks to the fact that the way women feel about their homes comes across in other aspects of their life.  I can 100% say that is true for me, and would love to cut that unnecessary stress from my life.  

3.  Continue to improve my health.  This is a carry over from last year, but I feel it is just still so important.  I think I have a good thing going with the 21 Day Fix (review here)  as far as work outs go.  Once I am done with this round, I am going to see where I am at, and then decide if I want to switch things up a bit, or go ahead with another round.  I just love the ease and convenience of the work outs, so we will have to see what is up next for me.  The main focus of this resolution, though, is definitely on eating better.  Doing the 21 Day Fix, I have realized that I needed to get in a lot more veggies, less carbs (so sad!) and more protein.  Part of the problem is the fact that I love to cook, so I want to try out all these different recipes, and some just aren't as good for you.  I think the key is just to balance those with the good meals and eat appropriate portion sizes.  For example, I love ordering pizza.  But I have found that if I order a salad to go with that pizza, I can have my salad and my pizza, too, without feeling crummy afterwards.  Or, if a dish I make is really rich, then take a smaller portion add some extra veggies, and eat cleaner with my other meals.  All about the balance. 

I have been loving reading everyone's resolution / goal posts.  Definitely a favorite this time of year!  If you are like me and you can't get enough, you can see my 2016 New Year's Resolutions here, and how I actually did on them here.

Linking up with Shay, Erika, Jenn and Jessi

21 comments:

  1. I love that church is a resolution. It seems like it should be a basic thing but sometimes it can be really hard to get there! I am with you and love cooking creamy, warm meals but it is a great idea to serve up a lot of veggies as sides to offset eating the less healthy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so hungry after reading this haha! Now I'm just thinking about pizza! I'm so proud that you've kept up with your daily Bible reading and quiet time! Have you narrowed some churches down that you want to try?
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so interested in the 21 day fix and I'm sure I'd find out a lot of bad things about my eating habits LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to organize EVERYTHING too!! I'm starting with my boys' closets today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great goals! Anything with organization I'm all over. I've been trying to be better about paper clutter on my desk at work--and looking around, I need to continue to get better haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. re-establishing my faith has been on my mind as well, especially since Brayden is now in religious education classes. When we do go to church, I feel better, just like you, so I need to start making it happen regularly.

    And thanks for the shout out :) That article really sparked something with me too. It's true, when my house is messy/cluttered/dirty I am in a bad mood. Part of my goals is to stay on top of the household stuff so it doesn't get out of control, and of course organize and purge what I can.

    I really should order the containers for the food and see if that helps me. I'm sure it would. My big problem is portion control, I can eat and eat and eat. I've been doing pretty good this week though but it hasn't been easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! You definitely got this! Mine are basically the same so cheers to you and these goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you pick 3 big things to focus on throughout the year and then smaller goals on a more monthly basis. I hope you're able to find a church that you love-- it can be such a daunting (and frustrating) task, but once you find somewhere you love it makes all of the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is so cool! And I did #1 last year and it has made me SO much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep hearing a lot about the one-year bible. I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great goals! I'm not a resolution person because I have found when I make one I never keep it! Monthly goals are working better for me. I'm the on the organization train too! I just want everything clean and to have its own place :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fact that you want to reestablish your relationship with God. That will do WONDERS for you!

    And I also read that article that Lizzie posted, and it rings 100% true with me, too! I'm telling you, decluttering last year really gave me peace of mind, and that's why I want to declutter even more this year!

    Good luck with everything! I'm excited to be along for the ride with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've been wanting to find a church for a while too! I'm thinking that will be a family resolution for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also started the One Year Bible and absolutely love it! I'm really excited it to read it all the way through this year. These are great goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's great you want to find a church, we need to find one here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faith, life organization & health are some great things to focus on for 2017. I've been hearing about 21 day fix a lot but need to pop over to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did the 21 Day Fix a few months ago and really struggled towards the end. Keep up the good work though! And YES to being more organized this year. So necessary for me!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your goals! I totally agree w/ the cluttered home = cluttered brain/life mentality. When things are a mess in my house I feel like I can't get anything accomplished whatever it may be. We have really gotten ruthless with our purging and cleaning lately and it has me feeling SO much better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great goals for the new year! I'm right there with you on all of them. I'd love to overhaul all of my closets reorganizing and purging.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to find a new church! It seems so daunting to me to show up to a new place that I don't know the rituals or maybe even anyone there. Here's to hoping we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will have to check out the Balanced Life's article! I'm working on organizing as well because it's so much easier to find things when they are in a place.
    xo
    Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams 

    ReplyDelete