Thursday, August 11, 2016

Closet Cleanout Tips

One of my August goals is to clean out my closet.  I feel like this is a never ending process, because I am quite positive that a closet cleanout has been a goal multiple months.  I wanted to be very real with myself this go around.  The dress that has been in my closet for 2 years, but hasn't been worn?  Probably needs to go.


Khloe's closet...I would be in heaven!
One of my August goals is to clean out my closet.  I feel like this is a never ending process, because I am quite positive that a closet cleanout has been a goal multiple months.  I wanted to be very real with myself this go around.  The dress that has been in my closet for 2 years, but hasn't been worn?  Probably needs to go. 

I went through my dresses this past weekend and really did well with getting rid of things.  I thought I would share my process, because I feel like I finally figured out what works for me! 

1.  Do a little at a time.  In my mind, I had this big plans of cleaning out my entire closet last weekend.  That did not happen, and honestly, even if I had set aside all day to go through my things, I think it wouldn't have gone well.  I was feeling over it after just doing my dresses!

2.  Take everything out of the closet, your drawer or container.  I hang all my dresses, so I took every single one out and laid them in a big pile on my bed.

3.  Separate into 3 piles - keep, consign/donate, try-on.  There were some dresses I bought recently, or wear regularly, so I knew I wanted to keep them for sure.  They immediately went back into my closet.  There were also some dresses that I was like "ehhh, no," right away and they went into the bag.  That part was a little hard, but let's be real, the gorgeous dress I wore to one of my sorority formals, while oh-so pretty, 1 - it doesn't fit me anymore (and hasn't for years!), and 2 - I am never going to have a reason to wear it again.  The try-on pile consisted of dresses I still liked, but hadn't worn in awhile, wasn't sure if they still fit, or if I even liked the style.



4.  Try-on.  This was the wearing part for me, because I had a ton in my try-on pile.  Thank goodness I did this though, because so many dresses I thought were still cute on me, definitely were not.

5.  Repeat by clothing type.  Like I said earlier, I was kind of over trying on things about half way through my dress pile, so I knew right then that I wasn't going to get through my whole closet.  However, I do suggest doing one type of item all in one swoop.  It's more orderly than doing a mix of clothes, and it made me still feel like I was getting something accomplished, even though I didn't clean out my whole closet.

I think the main key here is to take everything out.  If I had just gone through my closet like normal, I know I wouldn't have gotten rid of near as much stuff as I did, just because I would have been like "oh, I still like this, I don't need to try it on", and then I would move along to the next item.  I think that it already being outside the closet, you are more apt to trying it on and making the right decision.  

Linking up with Annie.

12 comments:

  1. I like the idea of taking everything out by clothing type and sorting into 3 piles. I had a yard sale back in June and had to go through my closet and it's crazy the amount of clothing pieces that I had forgotten that I had ha!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I always put off this task because I feel like I need to do the whole closet at once. Chunking it by clothing type sounds like a great way to manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of these tips! I seem to clean out my closet every few months and I'm not sure how that's even possible without buying new things, haha. I've been a lot better since using Thredup because I can just toss what I don't want into the bag and send it on its way without having to really worry about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I NEED to clean out my closet. I've managed to clean out my kids over the past week, but I'm still putting mine off! Poor Khloe! That big ol' closet and she can't find a shirt to wear under her blazer! Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to trying things on! Sometimes I'll try something on that I've been holding onto for YEARS only to realize it looks horrible on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this a bit when I swapped from fall/winter to spring/summer but need to pull everything out and do it all before I change it back out again. I also think the benefit of pulling it all out is the possibility of seeing a better way to organize it all back and really utilize all the space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you about trying stuff on... there were lots of things that I kept saving thinking I would wear them one day but after trying on several things, I was like OH HECK NO. Lol.

    And OMG to that closet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tip about trying to do a little bit at a time! Everything always looks so daunting when you look at it as a whole, so if you do a little bit at a time, that will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to do another close cleanout! I'm glad I didn't add it to my goals this month because just getting in 10K steps every day (one of my goals) has been occupying my time more than enough! But I may start in on my closet next week. I love the idea of going one item type at a time though, I definitely just go at random and it doesn't seem to work too well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these tips! Breaking it down by clothing type makes so much sense in making the process manageable

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these tips! I need to do this!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    Stylin In St. Louis

    ReplyDelete