Monday, March 28, 2016

Weekend Recap: Easter Edition

Happy Monday!  I had a great weekend with family, and I hope you all did, too!

Friday night was low-key.  I worked a little later than normal, but spent the rest of the evening relaxing and then packing for my trip home.  Started off the evening with a little cheese and crostini's and then had a light dinner of fish.  Much needed after indulging the night before!

I headed to my parents first thing Saturday morning.  Luckily the drive was pretty uneventful.  I visited with my mom, then we started on an Easter craft I had wanted to do.  I used the bunny picture from my Easter pins post as the inspiration, but we put our own spin on it.  I think it turned out so cute!


We started on the lamb cake (my favorite at Easter!), but had a little trouble the first go around.  The cake wasn't cooked all the way through.  After sending my dad to pick up another cake mix, my mom and I took a walk.  It was great to be able to get out and enjoy a bit of the nice weather.  My mom cooked one of my favorite dinners as a late birthday celebration - meatloaf, twice baked potatoes and asparagus.  To top off the dinner, we had my favorite cupcakes - yellow cake, chocolate frosting with round sprinkles.  I may or may not have had two...they were so good!  


The evening ended watching the Ten Commandments.  I think that is such a cool movie and I love that it is played this time of year.

It was an early start to Sunday, as we were heading up north to go to church with my grandma.  To make it even better, my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew Jack were going to surprise my parents and grandma by meeting us at church!  It was such a special surprise for my grandma - really, really meant a lot to her.  We headed to my aunt and uncle's after church for Easter dinner.  Everyone was so excited, because this was the first time in at least a year that we all were able to be together.  My immediate family headed back to my parents later in the day to open our Easter presents.  The "Easter bunny" (aka Mom & Dad), still bring us gifts every year.  My mom hides them around the house and we get to hunt for our bags.  They are always so generous.  It was even more fun opening presents with the addition of Jackson.  He is just such a sweet little baby.  I cannot wait until next year when we can do an Easter egg hunt!


It was such a great weekend with lots of quality time with the family.  Oh, and I did get my Easter lamb cake...sort of.  The cake didn't cook through all the way the first time.  The second time, my mom was on her own baking, because I had fallen asleep - oops!  The cake was cooked through, but was a bit wobbly.  As she began to frost it, the head of the lamb kept falling towards the plate.  It just was not working.  However, my mom is resourceful and decided to behead the lamb and turn the cake into a bunny.  After transporting it to my aunt and uncle's the ears got a bit floppy and started resembling a gerbil...so this year, the lamb turned into a bunny/gerbil cake.  Such a fun memory that I know we will remember for Easters to come.


Linking up with Biana.       

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun family filled Easter weekend. Glad the cake worked out, a bunny cake sounds JUST as delicious as a lamb cake. You and I are two peas in a pod when it comes to cupcakes, those are my FAVORITE! Love your card pin, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had such a great weekend! Love that your whole family got together to spend time with your grandmother--so special! Great picture of you, too! Love the cake story :) Too funny!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous family Easter photo!! Yay for your fav birthday dinner and cupcake and talk about a cute bunny!! Hope your week is off to a grand start!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol glad the lamb, er, bunny cake worked out in the end! so happy to hear of your wonderful easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that your brother surprised the family and came for Easter!! Such a treat! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Improvising in the kitchen always leads to such fun memories down the road! Love the little gerbil cake haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your Easter craft over the weekend and knew you'd done the PInterest craft. It turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a fun filled Easter weekend! And no worries, the lamb/bunny/gerbil cake still looks super cute! :) Hopefully it was tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that your mom still makes Easter baskets for you-- and even better hides them around the house. It sounds like you had such a great weekend with family celebrating your birthday a little bit longer & Easter. The bunny cake turned out so cute-- even if it was supposed to be a lamb :) I love the little bow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great weekend! How sweet of your sister to surprise your parents & grandmother!! Too funny about the cake, definitely a funny memory to have!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww - the lamb/bunny/gerbil cake still turned out cute (and festive!)!! Seems like a wonderful weekend full of family, treats, and surprises! Glad to hear it! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL to the lamb/bunny cake! As long as it tastes good that's what matters ;) So glad your whole family was able to get together to celebrate the weekend- I miss the big family get togethers of growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a great Easter, Emily! I said it on your Insta and I'll say it again... that dress is the cutest!! I love it! And I love seeing pictures of you, too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of lamb cake before but it sounds interesting. Too funny your mom had to turn it into a bunny! Your birthday dinner with your parents sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake story is hilarious!! Bunnies and gerbils are totally spring animals too, so it worked! That's cute your Mom hides your Easter gifts around the house.. My parents still get me little gifts too and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA! Bunny/gerbil cake! Hilarious! Good for your mom for being resourceful!

    And hooray for all of you guys getting together. I just love that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that’s so sweet you surprised your grandma! I’m sure she really liked that. We did that for my grandma’s 90th birthday. Still sounds like a fun weekend. I also love your dress!

    Love the story about the lamb cake, it’s the thought that counts right? So it still is a lamb cake haha.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cute is that Easter lamb cake?! Your birthday dinner sounds delish, and loving that dress on you!
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter weekend, even if you had to work on Friday! I love all of your family traditions, and the fact that you put your own spin on the bunny picture! The button tail is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like such a fun Easter with family! I love it! The Easter bunny still brings me a basket too, you're never too old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. bahahaha the bunny/gerbil cake is the best. those cupcakes also look amazing. quality time with family is the best, sounds like a fabulous weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. All of your desserts look amazing!! And that picture of your family is so sweet. I'm so glad you got to be with your family for the holiday. Next year when y'all do an Easter egg hunt will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That lamb cake looks too cute! That is so sweet to surprise your grandma!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The lamb cake looks so cute! How awesome that your parents still do easter gifts, such a fun treat :)! That's so wonderful that you guys were able to surprise your grandma, I'm sure she appreciated it so much more than you guys could know!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That bunny cake is too cute!! Glad you had a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The lamb/bunny/gerbil cake still turned out so cute!! Glad to hear you had a nice Easter with all of your family together!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete