Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Strawberry Walnut Salad

This past Sunday I decided to do a little meal prepping for my lunches this week.  I can get so lazy with making my lunch for work.  Either I get lazy in the evenings or forget to make it for the next day, or I get lazy in the mornings and don't want to make it!  To make it easier on myself, I pre-made these salads on Sunday.  This way I can just grab one in the morning and put them in my lunch bag without much thought or effort.  These salads are super easy and really yummy, so I thought they were definitely something I had to share!


Strawberry Walnut Salad
Baby Spinach
Red Onion
Walnuts
Crumbled Feta Cheese
Strawberries
Shredded or Cubed Chicken

For this prep I made three salads, total.  To start the salad, I took two big handfuls of baby spinach and placed in each tupperware container.  Since the spinach is the only "green" in the salad, I really loaded up.  Next, I took about 1/4 of a small to medium red onion and diced, finely.  I like red onion, but since I eat these at work, I didn't want the onion to be overpowering.  I divided the diced onion into three different piles on my cutting board, then placed it on top of the spinach.  I then added the walnuts and feta.  I would say I used about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of walnuts per salad.  The feta I just eyeballed.  In a separate container, I placed the chicken and strawberries.  I didn't want to put these in with the salad right away, because I didn't think they would last as long all combined.  I cut up about 4-5 strawberries per salad, depending on the size of the strawberry.  The chicken ended up being about one small chicken breast, shredded or cubed.  I have grilled the chicken, used leftover rotissere chicken, and cooked it in the crockpot.  I've found that the rotissere or crockpot is the easiest for me.  I am still working on perfecting how I cook it in the crockpot - once I have that down, I will definitely share!   

I wait until I am ready to eat before I add the dressing to the salad.  I like to use the Panera Bread Reduced-Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette - it is super good!  Once the salad is dressed I add the strawberries and chicken.  I found that adding those things after the dressing is all mixed in is my preference.  I think it more evenly coats the greens.

I really enjoy this salad, and hope you will too!  It makes for a quick, easy prep, so that lunch is handy to grab as you run out the door.  To me, the salad is filling on it's own, but sometimes I add a small bag of pretzels or pita chips to my lunch bag, just so I can get a bit of salty and crunch with my lunch.

I am always looking for easy lunch ideas - I'd love to hear your favorites!

5 comments:

  1. I love prepping my lunches on Sunday, makes my life so much easier! This looks sooo yummy! I don't like walnuts, but those could so easily be left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! If you like other nuts, I have tried pecans and almonds...they both were good!

      Delete
  2. Prepping lunches is the only way I don't go crazy at lunch, ha! This looks delicious and has so many of my favorites included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear your lunch suggestions - I feel like I get into ruts then over eat on things to the point where I have to give them a little break before making again!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I'm in a bit of a lunch rut too and I picked up a rotisserie chicken this afternoon so this might be my solution!

    ReplyDelete