Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Book Review: July 2017


Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.  I had heard so many good things about this book and the series in general, I had to check it out.  It's all about really, really rich Asians and their lives and their culture.  There were a bunch of different stories on, but I guess the overwhelming one was about a son, who bring his girlfriend to meet his family...without telling her anything about how well off his family was and the expectations that come with it.  It was an enjoyable read, although with so many characters, I would sometimes get confused.  Still a good book, though.  

In A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.  This book was all kinds of messed up.  You have a girl who has an interesting past that she has gotten away from, only to be invited to her old best friend's bachelorette party, which is held at the bride to be's aunt's cabin in the woods.  There are lots of weird going on's and a death.  I thought it was a good read and I didn't quite have the book figured out until closer to the end.  I would definitely recommend if you are into these type of dark thrillers.

Before He Finds Her by Michael Kardos.  This one wasn't my favorite.  It's about a girl who is hiding out from her father, basically for her whole life.  She gets fed up with hiding and wants to live a normal life, so she goes on a search to find him and find out what really happened the night her mom was killed.  The thing that threw me off was the part of the story that talked about the world coming to an end.  I know others have enjoyed it, though, and honestly I wasn't sure how it would end, which is always a good thing, but it just seemed too unrealistic to me.

The Collector by Nora Roberts.  I had seen this book in the library so many times, but wasn't sure how I would like it.  My grandma ended up bringing it with her to read when we were in Michigan and said it was good, so as soon as I got back, I scooped it up from the library.  It's about a woman who is a house sitter, who ends up witnessing a murder.  You follow along her, the decease's brother and two of their friends while they figure out what the heck happened.  If you like mystery and Nora Roberts, this is one for you!

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan.  I picked this up after reading Crazy Rich Asians.  The story starts a bit after the first book, and I think I liked the first one better than this.  Again, I got somewhat confused about some of the characters (not the main ones, but some of the side ones that still were mentioned often), and I had a bit of a slow go with it at the beginning.  I just couldn't get into it.  However, I really enjoyed the second half the book and am looking forward to the next!  

Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens.  This book is about a woman who is in an abusive relationship, but gets away.  Her husband is just out of prison and seemingly has not changed one bit.  Crazy things keep happening and it seems like the life she has built up is just falling apart.  There is a big twist (at least it was to me!) at the end, which I totally was not expecting.  While a good book, it wasn't my favorite.  I just didn't really care for the main characters (the wife and the daughter) and while the twist at the end was shocking to me, I really wish it hadn't quite ended like that.  

Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank.  I think I found a new favorite author!  I might be getting ahead of myself, but I really enjoyed this book.  I would say that she is a mix of Mary Kay Andrews (one of my very favorites) and Elin Hilderbrand.  The book is told from two point of views - the daughter and the mom.  The daughter just lost her husband and has taken her son back to her hometown to stay with her mom for the summer.  It was a light-hearted, easy read, even though it does deal with heavy stuff (death), but it's the perfect mix of the too.  I just thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read another!

What are you reading these days?  Any good recommendations, please do share!  

You can see what else I have been reading this year below.



Linking up with StephLindsay and Whitney.


19 comments:

  1. Dorothea Benton Frank is on my list to read soon! I'm still reading through The Glass Castle haha
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read In a Dark, Dark Wood - I really enjoyed The Woman in Cabin 10 by the same author.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kevin Kwan books! I just finished up This is How it Ends and OMG it sucked me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You killed it this month with all of your reads! I haven't been able to pick up Crazy Rich Asians yet, but I really want to read it. And I loved In A Dark, Dark Wood too! I didn't figure out the twist until the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy Rich Asians sounds interesting! I like DBF, she is a really good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Dorothea Benton Frank's old books. I don't love the ones she's published more recently.

    I couldn't get into the Kevin Kwan books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Put some of these on my to be read list, I've heard Crazy Rich Asians was intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read Crazy Rich Asians. They are making a movie and I want to read the book before it comes out. I thought Chevy Stevens did a nice job with the abuse scenes because they made me sick to my stomach, which they should. But I wasn't completely comfortable with the ending because I feared the abuser would be painted as a hero. I believe in redemption and forgiveness but they don't need to be a hero either, if that makes sense. I'm trying to be vague so I'm not spoilery. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. i haven't read any of Chevy Stevens' books but they are on my list. same with ruth ware lol. porch lights sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Crazy Rich Asians in my wish list as well. I'm glad to see that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just picked up Crazy Rich Asians and hope I enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a good variety of books. I just added Crazy Rich Asians to my list so I can read it before the movie comes out-- even though I have no idea when that is, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to read In a Dark, Dark Wood soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to read Crazy Rich Asians for a while now, sounds like a fun read! I also have In A Dark, Dark Wood in a pile on my desk to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crazy Rich Asians and in a dark dark wood are both on my TBR. I'm glad you enjoyed both of them, and China Rich Girlfriend. :) Here from SUYB. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting to read Crazy Rich Asians for awhile. I need to finally pick that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding Porch Lights to my list! I can't decide if I want to try the Asian series or not...I keep getting mixed reviews. My July reading was pathetic...hoping to catch up with a few this month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have had crazy rich asians on my shelf for years... still haven't read it :/

    ReplyDelete