Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Show & Tell Tuesday: Favorite Apps

Time for another Show & Tell Tuesday!  This Tuesday's topic is favorite apps.  I honestly didn't think I had too many to share, but as I was typing this out, I feel like I could have even included some more!


1.  Instagram (you can follow me here).  By far my favorite app and favorite form of social media.  I especially love it since stories were added!

2.  Sudoku.  If I am not on instagram, but on my phone, this is usually what I am doing.  I loved doing paper sudoku puzzles, and then I was introduced to this app and I cannot stop.  I actually don't even like doing the paper ones anymore - I tried over vacation and it was so much harder than normal since I was so used to how it is on my phone.  I showed my grandma the app and she said she wanted to get a smartphone just to be able to have the app on it!  And this is a lady that has a pay as you go phone and no computer!  If that isn't a great endorsement, I don't know what is!

3.  Pinterest (you can follow me here).  Another favorite - perfect for recipe ideas, workouts, style inspiration, home decor, holidays...really the list goes on and on!  I do have to say, though, that I tend to see the same pins over and over again it seems.  Does anyone know a way to more 'curate' what comes up on their Pinterest page, without searching for a specific topic?

4.  Pandora.  I use this one when I use my company's gym.  This may be a bit high maintenance, but the gym I belong to has the built in TVs on a lot of their cardio machines, which I just love.  It really helps pass the time.  Unfortunately, where I work doesn't have that.  There are a few TVs but there is no way to link up to them, and they don't have closed captioning, so if you don't have anything to listen to, you are basically stuck with what they are playing throughout the gym, which isn't always the best workout music.  I just have the free option, but I feel like making sure you click thumbs up on the songs you like really helps to ensure you get music you like (at least most of the time).

5.  WhatsApp.  This is a great app that allows you to talk to anyone, pretty much anywhere.  It uses the internet and comes in super handy if you want to be in touch with someone that is traveling internationally.  There is text messaging, voice call, video call - all of that.  Super handy.

6.  Flixster.  If you are a movie fan like me, then you need this app.  It takes into account your location, and then provides you with all the theaters within the area.  You can then click on each to see movie schedules.  It's SO handy.  Not only do you see the schedules, but you can see the critics and viewers ratings.  When you click on the movie, you can see a summary of the movie, and even watch the trailer.  If you scroll down a bit more,  you can also see some of the actual reviews.  I believe you can purchase tickets using this app, or be directed to a place to buy tickets, but I have never personally used that feature.  

7.  Cartwheel.  We all love Target, and the Cartwheel app allows you to save even more money.  You can accumulate points, which then lead to perks, such as $10 off a book, or clothing.  You can also get discounts, like $1 off a product - they act as coupons.  Even if you don't want to use that part of the app, you can just purchase your items, then scan your receipt into the app and gain points that way.  I think the best way to see this is to make your list beforehand, then try to look up to see if any items have discounts offered on them...all before you head into the store.  That way you aren't standing in the aisle after you have everything, looking for deals...not that I have any experience doing this.  Also, there is a scan option, where you can just scan items to see if there are any deals.  No matter if you just use the app to gain perks, or if you use it for the discount offers, too, it's definitely a must have for any Target goer, in my opinion!

8.  OpenTable.  This app is so perfect when making reservations.  It's easy to book them and easy to cancel.  You are able to see reviews on a specific restaurant, as well as click to go to their website to check it out.  There is an option to let it use your location, which is really nice for those times when you are some place you aren't really familiar with and are looking for a place to eat.

9.  Clock.  This is not an exciting app at all, but it's so useful!  It's my alarm, my timer and my stopwatch.  Not only do I use it to wake up, I set times throughout the day if I need to remember something specifically.  The timer is perfect for when I am cooking and need multiple times, or I need a longer time.  I also use it for odd ball things, like when I use a face mask, or if I want to give myself X amount of time to relax and then I need to clean...things like that.  The stopwatch is great for working out, I have often used it for planks.  Again, nothing fancy, but oh so handy!

10.  Notes.  Another app that just comes on your phone - nothing fancy, just a way to make lists and notes!  I keep my reading list on here, that way when I am reading book reviews on blog posts, or hear about something from a friend or on TV, I can just add it to my list.  I almost always have my phone with me, so it's easy to pull it up and search for things at the library.  I also keep a running Christmas / wish list in this app.  If you are like me, come time to make my Christmas list, I go blank and forget allll the things I thought about wanting throughout the year for Christmas.  I can refer back to this and make my list accordingly.  Same goes for my birthday.  I actually did this for the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, too - that way I made sure I didn't forget anything that I very specifically wanted.  I also use this to keep gift idea lists for others.  That way if someone said something in passing, I can make note of it and then refer back to later.  It's pretty inconspicuous, too, because we are unfortunately on our phones way too much.

What is your favorite app?  



...and 2016 Show & Tell Tuesday posts below.

Linking up with Andrea, Lindsay and Whitney.

20 comments:

  1. I had no idea the Cartwheel app was a rewards thing, too! I thought it was just coupons!! I love it even more now :) Also YES to that Soduku app! I seriously played so many games on our trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perks program on Cartwheel is going away in August. I'm so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just followed you on Instagram. :) I hadn't thought to get a Sudoku app, which is kind of funny because last week I wrote about using them to keep my brain functioning. Summertime brain fog has descended in a serious way! Oh, and I need to look into Flixter. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Clock app, too! It has all of the alarm times I need saved right there! Notes is definitely my favorite though. I have so many lists, like a Christmas List for myself and for others!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a ton of lists in my notes section and I love Pandora and Spotify!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need to get a sudoko app! My favorite more "fun" apps are word cookies & lettermash-- both word puzzle type games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatsapp, instragram, notes for sure, my clock app and recently duolingo ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you make the image like at the top of this post with teh apps and your blog info on top? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use picmonkey! I use the free version - I save whatever pictures I want to use, then make a collage, export it to the editor, then add in an overlay and text.

      Delete
  9. I'm late to the party about Cartwheel; I think I need to check it out. :) Pandora is great! I use Amazon Music, which is very similar with the thumbs up thumbs down option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter was just making fun of all my notes on the notes app yesterday. Love that one and a lot of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use the Notes app so incredibly much! It's the perfect way for me to keep track of lists and other things that I have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. whatsapp is so handy, especially for talking to people overseas :) and of course cartwheel. dangerous, but handy! i also love the clock app because of the 'world clock' option. i can't quickly figure out what time it is in sydney, i just look at the clock lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of these are sooo handy for traveling like the movie one. I use it too. So handy. I love my cartwheel app and use it entirely too much. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will check out Open Table! That sounds like a good one. I wish I knew about Pinterest. The same thing happens to me! Stopping by from Tuesday Talk. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh - notes is seriously so boring but it's honestly so my favorite! I use the notes in my phone like 100 times a day - I wouldn't be able to live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree - instagram is my favorite social media! I have tons of notes in my notes app and definitely should add the pandora app to my phone. I love my weather app, deal apps like ibotta, meijer, etc. I wish I had a better map app for directions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes the cartwheel app is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cleaning and organizing always seems like a never ending project! but it feels SO good when its done!

    ReplyDelete