Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Book Review: June 2017

June was a really good reading month for me - lots of good ones to share!



The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers.  Out of the bunch, this was the dud.  The book is about a women whose husband gets locked up for fraud.  It takes you back to how they first met, what all went on and goes through their lives together, leading up to their present.  It just was not my favorite read.  I had to plod along a bit to get through it.

The Beekeeper's Ball by Susan Wiggs.  My mom recommended this book, and I really enjoyed it!  It's actually the second in a series, so I wish I had started with the first (The Apple Orchard), but it's good as a stand alone, too!  The book has a bit of romance, sadness and even some mystery.

Nine Women, One Dress by Jane L. Rosen.  This was another good book - one that I flew through!  It's all about this one dress and how it impacts so many others' lives.  I have to say, I wish some of the characters story lines would have been more of the book, but that is just a personal preference.

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer.  I LOVED this book.  I could not put it down.  I was a big Twilight fan, and heard this book was a good one.  We actually picked it for our next book club book, and I am really hoping that everyone liked it, because I was totally pushing for it to be chosen.  The main character is a girl on the run, who ends up linking up with some people, after they realize they are all being chased by the same people.  There is a bit of romance, and lots of action.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll.  I mentioned my thoughts on this book before here, and while I thought it was good, it really freaked me out.  It's definitely a more twisted book, so beware - it covers some hard topics.  The main character is a girl that survived a terrible tragedy and has become obsessed with being perfect.  She has the 'perfect' job, fiance, everything appears great on the outside, but there is a lot of internal turmoil that eventually all comes out (along with the tragedy).  Overall it is a good book as in that is keeps you guessing and you feel like you need to know how it ends, but I would stay away from reading it...at least at night right before bed.  

Balancing in Heels by Kristin Cavallari.  This was a reread for me, but I liked it just as much as the first time I read it.  Kristin covers all different areas of her life - family, love, health, fitness and fashion.  I really found it helped motivate me to want to eat cleaner and cook using better quality ingredients.  I just found it an enjoyable, easy read.  

The Obsession by Nora Roberts.  It's really a tie between The Chemist and The Obsession for my favorite book of the month.  I am a Nora Roberts fan, and this book does not disappoint.  A girl discovers that her father is a serial killer and puts him in prison.  She deals with that following her pretty much where ever she goes.  She finally settles down in one place, develops a relationship, only to be the target of a copycat serial killer.  I feel like you kind of know who the killer is going to end up being, but there are twists that keep you intrigued.  

That is it for June!  I'd love to hear any recommendation you may have!

You can see what else I have been reading this year below.


Linking up with StephLindsay and Whitney.


18 comments:

  1. I LOVED Luckiest Girl Alive! The more twisted the better for me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated Luckiest Girl Alive, but just because I couldn't deal with the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list!!! I need to jot these down. I've been re-reading books on my Ipad/Kindle app while working through a bible study so the stack of paperback books I have to read are just waiting on me. These will be the perfect addition for my workout reading. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Obsession too. It's one of my favorite standalone Nora Roberts books. I'm a big fan of her In Death series. I also loved 9 Women, 1 Dress. And agree - there were some characters that deserve an entire book! I'm curious about Luckiest Girl Alive. I've seen mixed reviews but I can normally handle dark books. I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to get The Chemist to read because it looks like my kind of book! It's summer and I want to read about people falling in love haha!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read Nora Roberts, but my mom was reading one of her books when we were on vacation and the blurb sounded really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nine Women, One Dress looks good... but I'm totally just judging it by it's cover! Haha. I loved Balancing in Heels, too. It was a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so intrigued by Balancing in Heels! I just added it to my library list! I've also heard great things about The Chemist. Right now I'm reading Holocaust books for school, but before that I was reading Little Beach Street Bakery. Such a whimsical summer read set in England where a lady tries to run away from her failing job and relationship to a place where only locals go. Along her way she makes a decision to start a new job and see how long she can ride it out in her new city on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that Stephanie Meyer had a new book out! I loved Twilight too, and will definitely have to pick The Chemist up! I've heard that Nine Women One Dress is really cute, and I'll definitely have to pick that one up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of The Chemist, but now I need it! Great reads this month! Yet again, I reiterate that I need to read more haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea Stephanie Meyer came out with a new book. Bummer The Widow of Wall Street was a dud-I have it on my NetGalley list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just added The Beekeeper's Ball, The Chemist, and Nine Women One Dress to my list for the library! They sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes! I read luckiest girl alive last month too! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just what I needed right now! I'm adding Balancing in Heels to my list, I so want to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed Balancing in Heels! I'm sorry to hear the widow of wall street was disappointing - I was hoping that one would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the beekeepers book sounds cute, i will have to check out that series. i really enjoyed the nine women, one dress book too - i agree though, but that's what happens with books like that, you always like some people more than others lol. i am very curious about the chemist.. i don't think i have ever read any nora roberts books, maybe years and years ago. i'll have to add that one. i love her jd robb books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear you loved the Chemist. I have that one on my list to read soon. Great reviews! Emily @ Martinis & Bikinis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is Luckiest Girl Alive the one in the high school? That was a good one, but hard to read. I loved it, but hated the main character. I have been wanting to read Balancing in Heels!

    ReplyDelete