Friday, June 9, 2017

Friday Favorites: Orlando, Florida

Yay for Friday!  This week seemed like it was super long, but also like it flew by if that makes sense?  I can't believe the Rooster Crawl was already last weekend, because it seems so far away!  I had mentioned that Sunday was pretty eventful as well, and that is because I headed to Orlando for a work conference.

Instead of breaking down my Friday favorites into five, like normal, I am just going to recap my trip, because the whole thing was definitely a favorite!

I was up reasonably early on Sunday to get ready to go to the airport.  I felt really prepared this time, because I had packed the majority of things Saturday morning, then finished up with my clothes Saturday evening.  I had all my lists, (in my handy dandy notebook I mentioned last Friday) ready, so it made packing a breeze.  What I really need to do is make one on the computer so I can just print off and check off each trip.  The flight was pretty uneventful, which is always a good thing!  We even seemed to get in a bit earlier, which was nice.  I had big hopes to hang out at the pool when I got there, but I needed to attend a sessions, so that did not happen.  There being the JW Marriott.  This has by far been my very favorite place I have stayed.  Everyone was just so dang nice and it was a beautiful hotel with great paths for walking.  After the conference sessions and receptions for the day, I did finally make it outside.  I took a stroll to find the fitness center and then worked out a bit.  

Monday was a FULL day.  The first session started at 7:15.  This conference was really so good.  It's always hit or miss with these things, because you aren't ever sure how the sessions are going to go and if they will be applicable to you and your company, but this one was super good.  I signed up to attend a special lunch session and thank goodness I did, because I met some fabulous ladies.  We had our little 'group' the rest of the conference which made it twenty times better.  The last session of the day we had a comedian, Loretta Laroche, and she was hilarious.  According to her website, she is a stress expert, and she has a way of making you crack up laughing, while talking about handling stress!  She had us throwing our hands in the air and the end, singing and swaying to 'That's Amore.'  So fun!  I had signed up for an event in the evening, but instead went with one of the ladies I met to the one she signed up for.  It was a 4 course meal at NORMAN'S.  The chef there is a James Beard award winner!  If you know me, you know I LOVE food, so this sounded perfect.  It was so delicious.  We had a yummy salad, a shrimp appetizer which was crunchy and a little spicy, then the steak was out of this world.  It was cooked to perfection!  The waiter called is the 'rock star' of the menu and he was not lying.  The dessert a little off - I think I ordered wrong, but I was so stuffed from the dinner, it didn't even matter!  We connected with a few others and ended up heading down to another event, this one included a DJ.  It was the best time - we had a drink, danced and even played shuffleboard.  I didn't get home until way too late, but it was well worth it!

The next day was another long one, but again very good.  By the end of the day, a few of us were tired of being 'on' all the time and speaking with vendors, so we wandered off the property, walked around a bit and ate at Maggiano's.  Not specific to Orlando, I know, but a lot of places around the area were having closed events for other conferences and really, Italian just sounded good!  I had never been before and it was delicious!  It was the relaxing dinner that I think we all needed.  

Wednesday was the last day of the conference.  I headed straight to the airport with some of the other ladies so I could just get there, read and relax.  Unfortunately the flight was delayed a bit, but only an hour, so I was back in St. Louis just a little after 6:00!

The conference was good - I feel like I have a lot of helpful takeaways for my job AND I met the best people.  That really made the conference that much better.  The weather wasn't real great - lots of rain and oh my word, the humidity - so I didn't get to enjoy Florida as much as I was hoping, but honestly there was zero time, so in a way it worked out!








 


I will be spending the weekend relaxing after what has felt like a whirlwind of a few months.  I feel like I say that often, but time is just flying!       

Linking up with AndreaApril, and Katie.  

14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh this really did feel like the longest week, but throw in a conference and you definitely win! I hope you have a relaxing weekend ahead! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a whirlwind for sure but glad it was a good conference and I bet you are so excited just to chill this weekend! I hope it is awesome for you!! Was on Red Arrow highway yesterday and thought of you!!! Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to get away for a work trip!! Boo to the weather being crappy though, but still a fun time it sounds like! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work conferences always sound so much more fun than the work conferences I've had to attend! Definitely sign me up for an event that includes a 4 course meal! That's amazing and is making me so hungry right now haha! I love staying at Marriott hotels--they are always so nice!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign me up for any work conference at a resort like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orlando is a great city & Maggiano's is always a good choice :) Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of my best trips have been for conferences. I usually try to extend my trip a day or two to enjoy the sites. One of my best friends works at the university with me so that's always a plus to have a travel buddy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea you were in town! And you were staying at my favorite staycation spots, isn't that resort fabulous?! This week's weather was the pits though, and I couldn't be happier to see Mr. Sun back today.
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a good trip to Orlando! Granted Lakes is one of my favorite resorts here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed Orlando, rain, humidity and all! We are in our rainy season so rain is retty much the norm. The JW Marriott is one my favorite hotels for a staycation! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun trip even with the weather and not much free time! Pretty place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like such a great conference! And I've always heard such wonderful things about the J.W. Marriott! The stress expert sounds really interesting. I love presentations like that. We had a similar one at a work conference a few months ago, and the teacher was a certified laugh leader. She was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The JW Marriott is a gorgeous resort! I've been to a wedding by that white garden pavilion. Too bad the weather was pretty crappy last week but glad to hear you had an awesome trip!
    Have a great weekend lady!
    Emily @ Martinis & Bikinis

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like such a good conference-- and Florida is an awesome destination. I think my in-laws stayed at that hotel when we were all in Orlando for a wedding a few years ago, and it looked super nice!

    ReplyDelete