Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book Review: May 2017


First Star I See Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I thought this book was an easy read.  It's a mix of romance and mystery.  A former football player is being followed by girl trying to start her own detective company, or rather carry on her father's business.  It turns out he actually needs to hire her for his business, and will eventually need her for some personal work, as well.  Of course, they fall in love, but it's not easy in the least bit.  I will say you kind of know what is coming at the end with the two of them, but it's a fun read on the way to get there.  I think it makes the perfect beach/pool book.

Eyes On You by Kate White.  I picked this up purely because the jacket reminded me of a few other suspense / thrillers I have read lately and wanted something in that genre again.  I really liked it this one - a TV host lost it all, but after a few years made her way back to TV.  Her current show is doing well, but then weird things start happening.  The book had some good twists and turns throughout, making you kind of question everyone she comes in contact with.  If you are a fan of suspense, I say read it! 

What The Nanny Saw by Fiona Neill.  This was the book chosen for my book club.  The premise sounded very interesting to me since it deals with the financial crisis.  The book is about a very wealthy family and their nanny.  They experience some extreme highs and then things fall out the bottom when it turns out the husband has been doing some shady business dealings.  It wasn't a stand out to me, but I didn't dislike it, either.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  I had heard so many things about Outlander and decided I need to read it and see what the hype was all about!  I really, really liked it.  If you aren't familiar with Outlander, it is about a woman that travels back into time (on accident) and spends part of the time falling in love with where she is, while at the same time trying to get back to her present.  I feel like if I say more than that, it will ruin some parts, but I really felt it was good.  There are some graphic portions, so I would be aware of that.  Overall, I would definitely recommend it!

June started off a bit slow in the reading department for me, but this past weekend I read a really good book and can't wait to share in next month's review!

You can see what else I have been reading this year below.


Linking up with StephLindsay and Whitney.

18 comments:

  1. Glad you liked Outlander! You need to watch the season on Starz!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a teaser for a good book next month!! can't wait! ;)
    I read Outlander about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I think I got up to book 4 and then life just got in the way and I haven't returned to the series because the books are SO long but still very enjoyable. I started that Susan Philips book but I couldn't get into it at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these--I now have some great additions to my TBR List!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Outlander but it was definitely a long book. :D I love a good suspense book so I'm adding Eyes on You to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these before, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outlander sounds really good! I'll have to add that one to my reading list! Which is getting super long by the way... I can't ever keep up with it these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read "What The Nanny Saw" as a title of a book, I just want to jump right in hoping it's a suspense/thriller book. It's so weird that sometimes titles are not at all what the book is actually about.. ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. First Star I See Tonight sounds like the kind of read I need in my life right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you liked Outlander! There's some majorly graphic scenes in that first book, but I'm glad that you were able to make your way through them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thrillers are my jam. I'm glad you enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep meaning to start Outlander as well. I'm adding Eyes On You to my list! I love suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First Star I See Tonight sounds really cute! Definitely need to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Added the first star two to my TBR list! Is First Star I See Tonight a series? Have you read the others?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eyes on You, Outlander and What the Nanny Saw all sound like good reads! Adding them to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I listen to Outlander books from Audible so it doesn't feel like such a burden.. that and I'm addicted to the narrator, Davina Porter. I'm on a hiatus right now since I've been working on other books, but in the next few months I'll be starting book 5.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First Star I See Tonight wins for prettiest cover! The premise of it sounds really cute/fun too. I just finished My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella and it got me in the mood to read more chick lit. Eyes on You also sounds like an interesting premise with the game show element.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First Star I See Tonight sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My reading has been so slow....but I did finish November 9 in about 2 1/2 days...I think you would like it!

    ReplyDelete