Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend Recap: Indy 500

Happy Tuesday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I had a few highlights to the weekend, the major one being the Indy 500.  The weekend kicked off though with a movie - Baywatch.  I thought it was pretty funny.  Something light-hearted that will make you laugh.  

A productive Saturday morning was in store.  It's always so nice to not have to wake up to an alarm, even though I still am an early riser.  Picking up around the apartment and a walk rounded out the morning before heading to Indianapolis.  We got to my brother's right at dinner time.  In true holiday weekend fashion, we had burgers on the grill, along with a super yummy coleslaw my mom made and a few other sides.  My sister in law's birthday was last week, so we celebrated her with an angel food cake, strawberries and blueberries, and whipped cream.  I so wish I had some of that right now to snack on as I type thing!  So good.  It was really nice just visiting after dinner.

Sunday morning came EARLY!  We headed to the speedway around 4:15, picking up some breakfast on the way.  The place where my dad and brother normally park was already full, due to all the mud, so we found a new parking area that was pretty much just as close as the other.  It was still a walk from the park, so we left a little before 6:00 to head in.  6:00 is when the cannon goes off, letting everyone now the speedway is open.  First thing we did was pick up lanyards to hold our tickets, then we started walking.  Over the course of the day we walked about 7 miles!  It was crazy seeing the speedway in real life - it is so big.  It's truly hard to explain the experience in words, but I definitely concur with it being referred to as 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.'  I will let the massive amount of pictures below do the rest of the talking.

We headed back to my brother's afterwards, said bye to my parents and then pretty much relaxed the rest of the evening.  It was an early night, because holy cow, was it a long day!  Monday is was slowly back to reality - gym, laundry and mentally preparing for the week ahead!








 
Someone my brother used to teach plays the bagpipes in this band!


 You can see a few of the garages in the background.

The winner celebrates by drinking milk, which is being delivered in this picture.  Handcuffed to the person, and has it's own security guard!  


You can faintly see the opposite end of the track in this picture.  Amazing how large this place is!






The trophy making it's way through the speedway.







Vice President Pence and his wife making their way around the track.  

Taking the cars onto the track.


My cousin was there with friends, so we met up to say hi!
 

 





 

The Indy 500 is definitely a neat experience and we already have plans to go back together again next year!

Linking up with Biana, Lindsay and Whitney.
   

17 comments:

  1. I heard that baywatch was pretty lighthearted and funny so glad to hear you thought the same!! What a fun thing to go see - I've actually never been to any type of race like that!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time with family is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh how freaking cool is the Indy 500!!?? I've never been but I kind of want to go now after seeing how fun it is. And it's pretty close! I want to see the Baywatch movie too, I love lighthearted funny movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sunday was so early for you! Glad you had some really good family time! Back in his younger days, Dustin's family used to go to the races at Talledega and Bristol. I've never been to one although I think it would be fun to experience one at least once!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I were talking about watching that movie, but went for the thriller/horror option (not my choice) instead with "Split." I would have preferred Zac Efron...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow what a fun weekend! I would love to see the Indy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Indy 500 looked awesome, what a fun way to spend the holiday weekend! I saw Baywatch last night too lol. It was funny from the spoof perspective, but it made me miss the original TV show.

    Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved waking up to no alarm clock either and luckily remembered to turn mine back on last night. The Indy 500 looks like it was so much fun! Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to get out and see baywatch - we'll have to go soon! And how fun to go to the Indy 500!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Let's go racing boys".....How fun!! We liked Baywatch too, lighthearted fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a couple of friends that were there. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO COOL. My dad LOVES racing and he was able to go to the Indy 500 once many years ago. He would love to go back and I would love to go with him! Glad you had such an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super fun experience!! My husband lived the first 10 years of his life in Indianapolis, so his family has A TON of wild stories about what the city is like during the Indy 500!! I totally believe that you had to be awake that early. Sounds aligned with their stories. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun weekend! I have never been to a car race or anything similar to it. But the pictures look amazing. I am a huge fan of angel food cake with berries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only ever been to Daytona 500 which looks very similar. Sounds like a fun-filled day of races and meeting up with your cousin & friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Indy 500 looks like such a fun experience! We went to a truck race at the Daytona Speedway a few years ago. It's CRAZY how fast they go!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been to a few NASCAR races but the Indy 500 is definitely on my list too! I've heard it is SO much fun! Glad you were able to go and spend some good time with your family.

    ReplyDelete