Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Hello Fresh Experience

If you are like me, you have always wondered about the meal deliver services out there, like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron to name a few...honestly the list goes on and on!  I finally tried a meal deliver service and wanted to share my thoughts.

Back in February, Rachel had posted on instagram that she had a free Hello Fresh box code.  On the off chance that no one else had asked about it, I sent her a message and lucky for me, it was mine!  I actually forgot about it for a time, and then realized it was close to expiration, so I made sure to order my first box for the next week.

With the free code, I was able to get 3 meals for 2 people off the classic plan.  There were other options you could go for, such as more meals for 2 people and the various number of meals for 4 people.  There were two alternate plans, a veggie plan and a family plan, but I thought the classic was best for my needs.  I did appreciate the options, though!  

Sign up was painless, and then after you placed your order, you could go in and pick your meals from the different options - I think there were 7 all together.  (Just to note, you will be assigned 3 meals when you first submit your order, but after submitting you then have the ability to go in and choose.)  All the options sounded good, so it was hard for me to pick which ones to go with!  One thing I found helpful was when you go to pick the meals, you can click on them to get the details about that specific dish.  If you make any changes to your pre-selected options, you will get an email confirmation and then you are set!  All you have to do is wait for your box to arrive.


What you see when you first open the box...

These boxes hold the ingredients.  Ice packs are below these boxes and then any meat is under those ice packs to ensure those are kept cold!

Everything for my first recipe - the instructions, ingredient box and meat.

How the ingredients come inside the box...

The recipe / instructions.

End product - SO good!

Overall, I had a great experience trying Hello Fresh.  All the ingredients were fresh and seems that they were as they should be - i.e. the meat was nice and cold, and everything else was ready to use without being overly ripe.  The instructions were very clear and specific.  I do suggest reading them once or twice prior to making things, just to familiarize yourself with the recipe.  I thought the portion sizes were really good.  I had heard that some meal delivery services are that generous, and there was definitely enough food for two people, and one recipe I even had for 3 meals.

So for pros, the convenience is nice.  If you know you aren't going to have time to run to the grocery store, then this is a great options.  The meals are delicious, and it's always fun to try a new recipe that you might not otherwise give a try.  Also, say you try it out and it's not for you, or you would like to skip a week or two before your next box.  Unsubscribing is super easy and painless.  Reactivation is also really easy and painless.

My only con would be the price.  Obviously, I was able to snag someone's free code, and then when you sign up, you receive a discount code (mine is EMILYANND) to provide your friends and family to get $40 off their first box, which can make 3 meals for 2 people only $20 - not too shabby.  Also, if someone uses this discount code, then you get $20 in credit for yourself, which again makes the cost more viable.

One thing to be aware of though, is the nutritional value.  One of the meals I got was really high in calories.  I didn't really pay attention to that when I was ordering, so that's probably one thing I would be conscious of next time.  I am not saying this as a con, because to each their own, but if you are watching what you eat, it's just something you should check out when making your meal choices.

I would definitely suggest giving it a try if you have been thinking about it.  It's one of those things that while it wouldn't be financially smart for me to do on the regular, it will be something I do go back to every once in awhile to switch things up and try something new!

Have you tried Hello Fresh, or another meal delivery service.  I'd love to hear your experience!

Linking up with Annie.

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think I want to try Hello Fresh and other times I don't because of the price. Maybe I'll get to a point in life where it would be more convenient but right now I'm enjoying meal planning. All of their recipes do seem really tasty!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your honest feedback-I do like that it is something to try out, or if you know you will have a busy week or need to shake things up, you can go to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go back and forth on giving it a try! It sounds fun but I always hesitate to just try it. I think I worry that the food won't taste very good and it will be a waste of money but everyone seems to like the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom and I were just talking about this the other evening! She has decided that she might start using one of these, but I think she mentioned Blue Apron. Your review was really good, and I loved how you showed the pictures of what it looks like when you open the boxes. I have always wondered how they package it all to keep it from spoiling. We may try this one day just for the convenience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've tried the boxed dinners and it's so nice to have everything arriving at your doorstep in the perfect proportions! I will say that the calorie count was the only downside that we saw too, along with the price. But it was so much fun to try out, along with getting something different every night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the tips! I have been wanting to try one of these meal companies but still haven't pulled the trigger. These intro rates are great, and thanks for the info on calories count.

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to try Hello Fresh so thank you for the honest review. The prices do seem high so that is why I haven't tried any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using Hello Fresh on and off for the last few months. I usually skip every other week, sometimes its two weeks. But for the most part I really like the convenience of the service and there has really one been 1 meal that I didn't care for. I'm glad you had a good experience with it though! I can usually get 2-3 meals out of each one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for an honest review!! I've been wanting to try it too, just for fun. Like you mentioned, I know the pricing is a little much so it's not something you'd want to do ALL the time. But as a treat, or in a certain stage of life it would be a nice treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We tried Blue Apron for about two months last summer, and while we really enjoyed the food, the cons we found ultimately outweighed the pros. I'm curious how long they'll be around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered about the Hello Freah box! It's good to see that someone actually tried it out, and it worked!

    ReplyDelete