Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Book Review: March 2017



Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult.  I thought this was a really good book.  It's on a very tough and topical subject (race), and I think it is well written.  The book is written from the point of view of multiple characters, so you get insight from every side of the story.  I would definitely recommend this one.   

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena.  This book wasn't my favorite.  It has an interesting hook - the couple's babysitter cancels on them, but they still head over to their neighbor's for dinner, monitor in hand, and checking on the baby every 30 minutes.  The baby goes missing, and that leads into a whirlwind of twists and turns.  I think for me, the book was a little too much, just too much going on with all the twists and turns.  The book wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, so if it sounds good to you, then check it out, but it wouldn't be my first pick of the bunch.   

The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines and Mark Dagostino.  This book was so, so good.  My mom lent it to me forever ago and I finally just go around to reading it.  I LOVED it.  If you are a Fixer Upper fan, then this is a must read, but even if you aren't and just wanted to read a real story behind a super successful couple and what they went through to get there, then it, too, is a must read for you.  A really quick read and very inspiring.  I have a feeling this will be one I will reread multiple times.   

Killing Reagan by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  I thought this was an interesting read, but not as good as the other "Killing" books I have read (Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy).  For me, I thought it got a little more into what all was going on at this time, rather than sticking to specifics on Reagan.  I would say this made it a bit dryer than the others.  It was interesting to find out more about Reagan and the politics behind Hollywood back then with communism and all that.  I had no idea!  But overall, there were just too many "extras" for me, so I would recommend reading the two I mentioned above before this one.

The Dinner Party by Brenda Janowitz.  This book was a decent read.  Not good, but not great.  I felt some of the characters were kind of annoying, and some I really liked and felt more of a connection with.  It's about a family that is hosting a big dinner party, and they have to make it perfect because one of their daughter's new boyfriend's family is coming, who happen to be a very successful family.  It takes you through that dinner, then the ups and downs of the relationships after and ends with another dinner party where things come together a bit.  Not bad, but not great.

Sting by Sandra Brown.  I need some romance to switch things up in my reading, so I picked up this book at the library.  I normally like Sandra Brown, and this was no exception.  It's an easy and fast paced read, which has you rooting for the bad guy.  There are some unexpected twists that I was not expecting and was actually glad they were there, because it helped to end the story how I wanted.  

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris.  I could not put this book down.  I had heard so much about it, and really thought that it lived up to the hype.  Basically, things that seem perfect on the surface, can be totally different "behind closed doors," as the title alludes to.  I had formed in my head an idea of how this book would play out and it was totally not extreme enough for the actual content, but that was a nice (yet terrible, because it really was crazy the amount of crazy that was going on!) surprise.  Do read this, it's a good one! 

If you have any good recommendations, please share!

Linking up with Steph, Lindsay and Whitney.

29 comments:

  1. Behind Closed Doors is on my to read list! I didn't really like The Couple Next Door either...too weird. My book club's book was the Jodi Picoult book but since I couldn't make the meeting, I opted not to read it. Too funny that you read it in March! I hope The Underground Railroad is on your list!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of Behind Closed Doors looks familiar and it sounds like it was a better thriller than The Couple Next Door, so I definitely want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Behind Closed Doors and The Magnolia Story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was planning on reading the Couple Next Door soon... but now I might wait. It doesn't sound too promising. I haven't heard of the "killing" books before. Those sound interesting! I think I'll start with one of the other ones you mentioned though.

    Sarah
    Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about "The Killing" books. I would really like to read the Killing Kennedy one. And the Behind Closed Doors has caught my attention too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Behind Closed Doors sounds really intriguing! I can relate to wanting a fluffy or romantic read from time to time. It helps break up the heavier ones! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Magnolia Story! I recommend Love Lives Here by Maria Goff as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew what was up with Behind Closed Doors early on but I couldn't put it down either.

    I've had Small Great Things since October. I should get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're reading Small Great Things for my book club this month. I've heard great things so I have high expectations. I have not read the Couple Next Door but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the premise, which probably means I'd really struggle to buy into the book. Behind Closed Doors in already on my TBR. It sounds like I need to read soon as I love a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl you read a ton of books this month! And I so wish I understood the hype around Fixer Upper. I never watch it so I didn't even know who they were until just a few months ago. Haha. I guess I need to start Tivoing it to see if I like it. I'm sure I would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Small Great Things just came up for me at the library. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm tossed up about even starting the couple next door! No one loves it or hates it so I'm like okay maybe I will read it :| I need to get Chip and Joanna's book! I want to take it to Cuba with me to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will definitely be checking out Behind Closed Doors at some point. The Couple Next Door also sounds good - I've been wanting to read it, now I'm curious if I'll like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I will read Behind Closed Doors sometime!! Glad it lived up to the hype for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Small Great Things and The Magnolia Story are both on my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have Sting in my queue, so I'm glad to hear you liked it! I really liked the way Small Great Things was written, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wasn't a fan of the Dinner Party either. I loved Small Great Things and really enjoyed The Couple Next Door and Behind Closed Doors. I love a good suspense read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, bummer about the couple next door. i did think there were way too many twists and ridiculous things happening, but it was just one thing after the other and i couldn't put it down. i was so curious, even though it was a mess. added behind closed doors to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get so excited for your book reviews as you really tell it like it is girl! I am in serious need to get my reading mojo back and always do want summer rolls around and I can read out on the deck. I was very disappointed in the couple next-door and as a Poli Sci minor who wrote at least a half a dozen pages on Ronald Reagan, I thought that was a little dry too, I preferred killing Kennedy. I am so wanting to read Behind Closed Doors so I am super tickled liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have Behind Closed Doors on my reading list. I'm glad you thought it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had Behind Closed Doors on my list for forever, and I just haven't had the chance to pick it up yet. After everybody keeps on talking about it though, I need to give it a try. I also really want to read The Magnolia Story and The Couple Next Door as well. I love Chip & Joanna, so I figured that I'd love their book, and I always love a good thriller and mystery with lots of twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Magnolia Story and Small Great Things. I am going to add Sting and Behind Closed Doors to my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I've mentioned this before, but I love The Magnolia Story! So light-hearted and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Magnolia Story and Behind Closed doors are on my Audible wish list so I'm happy to read your reviews. I enjoyed the story of the Couple Next Door but agree the plot line was spotty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love love love The Magnolia Story! It was such an easy and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ruth Ware, Paula Hawkins, and Kevin Kwan all have books coming out in the next few months and I'm waiting not-so-patiently!! In the meantime, I'll look into Behind Closed Doors! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really really want to read Behind Closed Doors - I'm glad to hear you loved it so much.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the suggestions! Behind Closed Doors was only $2.99 for a kindle download...done. Hopefully I can handle it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Magnolia Story was my absolute favorite, I loved being able to get to know Chip & Jo more behind the scenes!

    ReplyDelete