Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Recipe Round Up: January 2017

This post is going to be pretty short and sweet, because I only made two new recipes in the month of January!

Spicy Beef Rice Bowls from Skinnytaste Fast and Slow cookbook.  I got this cookbook for Christmas and seriously spent all day and part of the next day just combing through it.  The first recipe I decided to try was the Spicy Beef Rice Bowls, which was one of the bonus recipes at the end (available at Target).  It was relatively easy to make (mostly done in the slow cooker), although it uses some different ingredients like bok choy and Napa cabbage.  Also, I apparently don't cook Asian food often, because I had to stock up on a lot of the more pantry type ingredients, like sesame oil, oyster sauce and a few others, too.  Overall opinion?  Just not my favorite.  I can't necessarily pinpoint why, because the flavor wasn't bad.  It just wasn't that good either, at least for me.

roasted-cauliflower-winter-salad-recipe

Roasted Cauliflower Winter Salad from A Blonde's Moment.  This was a good salad.  I ate it alone and then paired with chicken for lunches throughout the week.  My favorite thing by far was the roasted chickpeas.  They were so delicious - I had quite a few off the pan when making the salad, and they were what I went for when I was actually eating the salad.  If you are in a salad rut, I would definitely suggest trying out this one.  I haven't ever been big on cauliflower, but roasting it was a great, and as I mentioned, I just could not get enough of the chickpeas!  Just to note, I ate this with and without the feta cheese, and while it was better with (obviously, cheese is always a good idea), I still really enjoyed it without!

Have you made any good new-to-you recipes lately?

Other Recipe Round Up posts:
Recipe Round Up: November 2016 
Recipe Round Up: October 2016 

Linking up with Whitney.

16 comments:

  1. Both look scrumptious!!!! Rachel's salad is so colorful too! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I wish I liked cauliflower. I just can't get behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad sure does look yummy! It has things I would never think to put in! I actually just made a cauliflower crust pizza and it wasn't too bad, but I will always want regular pizza over that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That salad sounds awesome! We just recently discovered chickpeas, and I'm obsessed! They are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sure does look good! I love cauliflower!! I really want to try to make some cauliflower "mashed potatoes" sometime. I've heard that you can tell the difference, but I'm very skeptical since I love my mashed potatoes so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a bummer when you don't totally love a recipe, especially when you had to buy bulk ingredients for it. We use sesame oil quite a bit in lettuce wrap or stir fry recipes I think though! So glad to hear you liked that salad, I think I pinned it after you mentioned it the first time. Love when you share these recaps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes..that salad looks delish! After vacation I'm starving for some healthy food but sadly I'm sure there is nothing in my fridge. This is on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got that cookbook for Christmas too! I am loving it. That salad though! Holy cow that looks good with the roasted cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that salad!!! I have heard such good things about Skinny Taste's cookbook. I need to bite the bullet and order it. I love her site!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cauliflower and finding new ways to cook with it. This might just be the next recipe I try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound yummy! Roasted chickpeas are my favorite! I love them with tac seasoning too! So good!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    Stylin In St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't cook with cauliflower as much as I should. I'm going to have to put this salad on my list to try. Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I think I need to get that Skinnytaste cookbook!

    ReplyDelete