Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Book Review: January 2017

I am really excited for this post, because January was a good reading month for me!



The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.  I loved this book.  I was concerned it would be a little scary and dark, but I honestly didn't feel like it was - just more suspenseful.  I was engaged the whole time and could not figure out how it would end...until the end.  If you enjoy suspenseful novels, I would highly suggest checking this book out.  

Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard.  I love history and heard good things about these books, so I decided to try Lincoln first.  The book starts a few weeks prior to Lincoln's assassination.  I truly enjoyed this book because they somehow are able to stick to the facts, while making it a good read, rather than a dry, history textbook.  I spoke with a coworker who read this shortly after I did, and he made a good point that the dialogue they used to fill in parts of the book probably wasn't spot on, and while that bothered him a bit, I still thought it was good.  At the end of the book you find out what happened to all the major players at that time, which I really liked, too.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.  I thought it was a good read, especially if you enjoy reading about organization / decluttering.  I shared a more in-depth review here.

Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks.  I LOVED this book.  It had me smiling, it had me crying, especially at the end.  It's about a husband who thought his marriage was in a good place, only to find out that his wife would like a divorce and then it follows him along throughout the entire journey of the separation, focusing on his relationship with his daughter, and his family.  It was a very real-life book, and I can't say enough good things about it.

The Singles Game by Lauren Weisberger.  This was a pretty good book.  The story is about a woman who suffered a tennis injury and then follows her rehab and the changes she undergoes in order to make it back up to the top.    

The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke.  I have always been a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark, and this book was no different.  She's a great mystery writer, and I don't think you can really go wrong in choosing any of her books.  I will be honest and say I chose this one because Cinderella is my favorite, so the title got me.  It's about a tv show that re-investigates old crimes to see if they can take another look and solve them.  It was dubbed the "Cinderella Murder" because the young woman killed lost a shoe.  While I kind of knew who the killer was before the end, I still thought it was a good book. 

Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand.  This wasn't my favorite Elin book.  It's about a current wife and 2 ex-wives coming together after their husband/ex-husband dies.  Lots of drama.  If you like her books, then I would say give it a try if the story sounds interesting, but it just wasn't as good to me as others.

Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard.  Once I finished Killing Lincoln, I immediately checked out Killing Kennedy.  That era always has interested me, but honestly I didn't know much about Kennedy or even many details about the assassination.  I was a bit surprised at some of the personal ongoings of Kennedy, and even some other prominent figures, like MLK and even Vice President Johnson.  I knew somewhat of their womanizer ways, but the book really touches upon that.  I also never knew about Kennedy's time in the war, and that story just is pretty amazing.  As with Lincoln, it just makes you wonder what would have been different, had these two enigmatic lives not been cut short.    

The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson.  I have had this one on my reading list for awhile, and finally got to it last month.  It's about a woman and the book literally makes you feel like she is living in two worlds.  I had no idea where the book was going or what was right or wrong.  It kept me guessing, which I enjoyed.  The book was a little slow at some points for me, but I overall really enjoyed it.

February is shaping out to be a lot slower of a reading month, but I hope to get through a few and have some good ones to share!

Linking up with WhitneyLindsay, and Steph.
   

30 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with all of your reading!! The Woman in Cabin 10 was okay, but not my favorite. I loved Killing Kennedy so much and was so surprised by MLK! I knew Kennedy cheated a lot but had no idea MLK did. Here's to Us wasn't a favorite either. And I still have Two by Two on my list!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely ripped through some books in January! I think I might like the Lincoln and Kennedy books, and I know my husband would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a rockstar reader! Even before I had kids I read maybe one book a month. If that. I'm adding these to my list of reads. Whenever that happens haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the Woman in Cabin 10 right now and haven't been able to find enough time to get through it...but TOTALLY roped in! Thanks for sharing your reads....Two by Two is definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you read all of those in January!? Go you! That Cinderella Murder book sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on The Woman in Cabin 10, I was so glad it wasn't too scary but still kept up the suspense and mystery until the very last few pages!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the woman in cabin 10 too! glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the bookseller sounds super interesting - added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about The Woman in Cabin 10! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm back and forth on reading The Bookseller. On one hand it sounds like something I'd like, on the other hand it sounds like it would annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy moly, girl!! You read a TON of books! I really want to read The Woman in Cabin 10... I've heard nothing but great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Woman in Cabin 10 is on my TBR. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews but seeing yours makes me want to read it! :D I used to read a lot of Mary Higgins Clark when I was younger but it has been years since I've read anything by her. I may need to revisit her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO jealous at how much you were able to read this last month. My Kindle wishlist is like miles long and if I'm lucky, I get through one book a month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow January was a good reading month for you! Still jealous of all the books you get in but I have no one to blame for my lack of reading but myself :/ One day...one day lol Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always have such mixed feelings about read The Woman in Cabin 10. It seems readers are evenly split over whether they like or dislike the book. I want to read it but then I come across a bad review. Aww the struggle! I have never read a review for Two by Two, but your review intrigued me. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really did have a great reading month in January! I still haven't read any Elin Hilderbrand, but I want to eventually! The Bookseller sounds really interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to read The Woman in Cabin 10! I haven't read a Nicholas Sparks book in ages, but I always love them and I have SO MANY on my TBR that I need to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats an impressive reading list!! I am preparing my reading list for Spring Break! I can't wait to add a few of these! The Nicholas Sparks book sounds like a must!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Singles Game is on my list to read! Love Mary Higgins Clark. My grandma and I used to read them and talk about them together! Can't wait to check out these other books! I'll be reading Cabin 10 with a book club soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed Two by Two and and The Woman in Cabin 10 too! Here's To Us and The Singles Game have both been on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great reading month! I have had the Killing Kennedy on my list for a while. I'd love to read more about that era of history.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought The Singles Game was a cute read! I received The Girl in Cabin 10 for Christmas, and I really can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I'm impressed with how many books you read! I love anything by Nicholas Sparks so I definitely want to pick that one up! Since your review I'm intrigued by Killing Lincoln. I get bored with books that have a ton of history facts in them with no way to grab the reader, but this one definitely sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't heard of Killing Kennedy or Killing Lincoln, but they sound interesting! I'm checking into those two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many books! I have heard good things about The Woman In Cabin 10 so I'm interested to read it sometime. I read Two By Two last month & it was a struggle for me to get through. I'm not sure what it was but it just felt so different compared to some of his other books!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Woman in Cabin 10 is on my list but the holds list at the library is eternally long so it will be awhile before I get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the books by Lauren Weisenberger. I want to read that one. And I heard Two By Two just was ok, so I will probably skip it even though I read everything by him.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've heard really good things about the Bookseller; it's on my list. I enjoyed Marie Kondo's book last year and hope to read Spark Joy sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My dad has all of those books by Bill O'Reilly and I'm hoping to get around to reading them eventually. I think I would enjoy them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad you loved The Woman in Cabin 10! I did too, but people tend to fall under "loved it" or "hated it" categories. haha I need to read more by the author!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete