Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Show & Tell Tuesday: Steal vs. Splurge

Today is the first Show & Tell Tuesday of 2017.  I like this topic, because I find it interesting to see how people save, and what they consider to be worthy of a splurge.  



I started to think about what I do personally, and honestly I feel like I am a splurger on most things!  When it comes to clothes, shoes and bags, I tend to splurge.  I have noticed during my closet clean outs, a lot of the cheaper quality items (which usually means they weren't a lot of money), don't make it very long, whereas the items I spend a little more on, last way longer.  I just recently bought a pair of Paige jeans that were on sale at Nordstrom, and I really like them.  I am hoping that paying the extra money, even on sale, will be worth it in the long run.  I purchased my GiGi New York bag on sale almost a year ago, and having been loving it ever since.  I use the same bag all the time, so spending the extra money on it makes sense for me.  I will say though, that my favorite v-neck tops are from Target, and they do wash and wear well.  I pretty much am in one of these whenever I am at home, relaxing, or for casual days out and about.  I also always go for the sunglasses from Nordstrom's juniors section.  I am terrible with sunglasses, somehow they always get banged up, so I opt for the cheaper ones.  That way I don't get upset if they need to be replaced.  I would love a pair of Ray-Bans, though.  I think if I had a really nice pair I would take better care of them, but for now, it's all about the cheapo sunglasses for me!  I obviously tend to splurge on clothes, but as I mentioned, some of the bigger items were bought on sale, which always makes them better!

Kitchen gadgets are also some things that usually turn out to be worth spending a bit extra on.  I love being in the kitchen, so everything usually gets well used and I know that it is money well spent.  For example, when I asked for a spiralizer for Christmas, they have small hand held ones that are inexpensive, but I heard from others that they weren't the easiest to use and I would be better off going a bit nicer, which is why I went with this OXO one for my list.

I love to decorate, but I would say that I like more steals when it comes to interior design.  I love shopping sales, especially after the holidays, and tend to make those purchases when I can get a good deal.  Right now, a lot of my furniture is Ikea, Target, or hand me downs, but I love the way it all comes together.  The items I have from Ikea are more traditional and classic, so the look of them still fits within my style.  When I first purchased them in college, I just updated the hardware with some sturdier knobs which I really think made a big difference.  While I know that some items will eventually be updated, right now I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

My everyday steals definitely come in the way of toiletries, some make up, and groceries.  I usually check out the Up & Up brand at Target for things like body wash and lotion.  I don't spend a lot on shampoo and other hair products - just drugstore brands.  Some of the items I always spend a bit more on include face masks, eye cream, foundation and mascara, but almost everything else I wear is e.l.f. or another drugstore brand.  For groceries, I tend to go generic on staples, too.  While I like buying organic if possible, my grocery store has an off brand of that, so as long as it is a comparable product, I often go with that kind.  Garbage bags, baggies, paper towels and napkins are always an off brand, too!

So you can see - I tend to splurge more, or at least spend a bit more on things, but with wear and use, I usually feel that I get my money's worth out of those items.  I feel I could get some more steals though, so I am definitely looking forward to reading posts on this topic!

You can check out my 2016 Show & Tell Tuesday posts below.



Linking up with Andrea and Whitney.  


13 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about this today! I love a good splurge on jeans but I always try to find a big steal on mascara! I use Almay from Walmart and it costs me $7! I always feel good about that because some make up I splurge on!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a jeans splurge for years now!! And I splurge on Kitchen gadgets too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's totally worth it to splurge on quality items vs quantity - something I've been learning! My cheaper clothes rarely get worn but the stuff I paid way more for, I wear all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeans were something that I never, ever splurged on. Then my husband bought me 2 pair of Paige jeans for Christmas... girl, I am always going to splurge on jeans from now on! I didn't know that jeans could be THAT comfy or fit that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree splurging for jeans is totally worth it! I've had my anthropologie and jcrew jeans for nearly 2 years now and they are still in such great shape. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had my eye on GiGi bags for awhile now and feel like I need to just make the move. Did you get yours personalized? Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you on splurges! I love a great handbag or pair of shoes and love how long the good ones last. I'd like to find a great pair of jeans to invest in and I think you often get what you pay for with cardigans, tops and t-shirts. I'm better at saving at the grocery store and looking for deals on home decor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older I get I tend to splurge more on clothing items-- unless it's something super trendy that I know I'll only wear once or maybe twice. I'm definitely a saver when it comes to home decor stuff too-- you can always find such great things at home goods or on sale at higher quality stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I need to start splurging on jeans. I'm SO picky about jeans and it's always really hard for me to find any that I like, but that's probably because I'm always looking at Target, Old Navy, and Charlotte Russe. I guess I need to up my game.

    And I'm totally with you on splurging for kitchen items. Nice kitchen stuff makes a HUGE difference. My MIL keeps me stocked in the latest and greatest kitchen stuff and I always love everything that she gets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over the years I have definitely learned that it's definitely worth it to splurge a little on nicer clothing items. Like you said, the cheaper items just don't hold us as long and then you end up pitching/donating them. I've been sloooowly but surely simplifying my closet and investing in versatile, higher quality items that will hopefully last much longer! I'm pretty cheap on makeup products, but I will splurge for a good mascara if I find one I love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean about getting rid of cheaper clothing items! They usually mess up in the wash after the first couple of times and then don't look right! I thought the same thing with sunglasses. I was always sitting on them or messing them up until I splurged and got my Ray Bans. I've never kept track and taken such good care of sunglasses before them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely splurge on jeans, but they last so much longer!

    I'm completely with you on sunglasses! I normally just buy mine from Walmart because 9 times out of 10 they are broke in a few months! I'm horrible with those pesky things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a splurger too Emily! I love my Paige jeans and have added a 2nd pair recently...plus they are made in the USA! I am terrible with sunglasses...have been wanting some raybans but I'm so scared I could not be responsible enough. :)

    ReplyDelete