Tuesday, January 10, 2017

New Year, New Planner

Last year was my first year since college to use a paper planner.  I always had a mini calendar book in my purse, but not an actual planner.  I loved having one throughout my school years, and even had a sweet American Girl planner when I was younger.  I went ahead and purchased the Emily Ley Simplified Planner after a little bit of research.  I was a big fan of the planner, but after using it for almost a year, I decided I wanted to switch things up a bit.  The two main things I was looking for was a weekly set up (originally I loved the daily set up, but I felt like I was only looking a day, if that ahead, and I just think the whole week at a glance might be best), and something that was a bit smaller and in turn, lighter.  My plan was to just get a weekly Simplified Planner, but the only weekly set ups were the 2016-2017 planners.  Thus, my search began.

I checked out Target, because Kelsey had told me that she got a super cute planner from there for a fraction of the price as others, but I couldn't find one that exactly fit my needs.  I kept my eye out, but didn't find anything until Small Business Saturday, when I was out with my parents at Fabulous Affairs.  They had a small, hard-bound Rifle Paper Co. 12-Month Agenda.  I had originally looked at this planner at Paper Source, but wasn't crazy about the price tag in the store (more than priced on the website).  Fabulous Affairs was having a sale, so my mom was able to pick this up as a Christmas gift for a really great price.  
2017 Midnight A compact design featuring a book cloth cover with gold foil accents
I love that it has the monthly calendars, and then the weekly breakdown of the month.  Each line has a little box to check when completing an item, which I love.  While it doesn't have the break out of the hours / dinner / to do / and notes, like my old planner did, I find there is still plenty of room to write things.  There a is a notes and a contacts section in the planner, which can be handy, and the back cover has a pocket for loose items.  The book comes with two ribbons attached to the spine, which is perfect to hold your place in the monthly section, and then in the weekly.  The weekly section includes the monthly tabs, which was something I found lacking in other planners.  Because it is hard-bound like a book, I was a bit worried about being able to have it lay flat for writing, especially because I am left handed.  However, the spine is such that it does lay flat, without feeling that the binding is messed up, if that makes sense.  

I still need to update my planner with important dates and notes, but for right now I really am loving it - thanks Mom & Dad!  

I also wanted to share the link to a different planner that my cousin's wife (Hi, Casey!) sent me - XO Planners.  At the time she shared, I had already known I was getting my current one for Christmas, but I definitely plan on checking this one out for next year.  While it kind of goes against the two things I wanted this year (weekly and smaller size), I am obsessed with all the fun extras related to goal setting, which is exactly why she sent it, because she knows that's my thing!  I really like the page layouts, too.

What planner are you using this year?

Linking up with Whitney.

24 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are liking that planner! I don't know if I told you but I'm trying out a new layout with my EC planner and I'm loving it so far. My only complaint is that they are a little heavy. I should start going to Target to look for planners! Love yours!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love planners!! I need to look into getting a new one- so I'll check the XO planner out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your planner! I had an EC one but never used it. I ordered a different one and can't wait for it to get here. My goal is to be more organized this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a weekly layout vs daily as well - I need to see my week at one time. Sounds like you got the perfect planner and another fun one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that planner! I also have an Emily Ley but only because I snagged it during a great promo sale. Rifle Paper has such cute products. Happy Planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that planner! I have an Emily Ley planner this year because I snagged it on a great sale. Rifle Paper makes such cute products! Happy Planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you found one that you love!! I like the weekly and not daily layout too! Rifle paper has the prettiest paper products!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! I hope you finally found planner peace! It's such a cute planner! I have switched back and forth between planners and I think I'm finally settling on Erin Condren. If only they had a smaller size lol! Have a great week girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. the two ribbons is brilliant! i don't have any ribbons in my planner, but i clip the months as they go by with a binder clip, so it's easier to find my place. really like the look of your planner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh I will have to check this one out! I've never heard of it! I do love my EC, but next year I may try something different. Gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what I would do without my paper planners! I have always had one since I started high school. I'm such a planner and I like to write things down! I had the ones from school then moved into slightly nicer ones when I was in university then moved to moleskins then I went to Erin Condren which I love but they are just too pricey with the exchange rate and shipping. I have moved onto the Happy Planner! Love them! I like a big planner and one that gives me lots of room for writing and whatever! Okay I should stop this comment is long enough now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on thinking that the Daily Simplified Planner didn't help me to see things very far in advance. I feel like I'm not too busy in my personal life to warrant a daily calendar yet. I love my Rifle Paper calendar, so I'm sure that they're planners are just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I think a RP planner would have been my designer planner of choice. I'm really bad about keeping mine up so I just get them from Target or Home Goods now and want to start using a bullet journal/planner a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have an unhealthy love for all things Planner and stationary and office supplies. Haha. I will have to check this one out! Right now I'm using Erin Condren and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Planners are so much fun and I have used a ton in my day, but I find it hard to stick to it a few months down the line. Love that planner you got though!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love paper planners! i am using a Women's Health planner that I found at the end of the Summer last year. I love that it has a place to keep track of my workouts, daily and weekly and a lot of space to write things down for each day too. The only thing it does not have is a page for the month at a glance.

    Jen
    jpabstfitness.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you found a planner you like. That was always my problem-the size, and weight of them. I already have so much in my purse that last year I ended up taking mine out halfway through the year :/ Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny, My daughter has similar desires that you do in a planner. She had found one at target a couple months ago that she loved, but when she went to go purchase it last week, they didn't carry it anymore.

    Just today she texted me that she ended up getting the Happy Planner which is actually the one I use as well. It is very similar to Erin Condren, but much cheaper and I like the inserts you can add to it.

    I do like the idea of ticking off items when they are done. The planner you received as a gift looks like it will work well for that.

    I basically use my planner for keeping track of my daily link-up parties I participate in and tracking what blog post I linked. I also write notes when inspiration for a blog post comes along.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's great you are loving your new planner. I have heard Emily Ley's planners are fabulous! I would be so lost without a planner, if I don't write something down, I can't remember it haha!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so pretty! I am definitely a paper-planner kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing like a new year to get a new planner going! I love having paper planners around!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's gorgeous! I'm paper all the way, too!! I'm using the inexpensive Target Sugar Paper one right now, still looking for a better one but I like monthly versus weekly like I did back when I had more going on (these days life mostly revolves around a three year-old, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't live without a planner even though it's not as fancy. I still stick to the traditional planners instead of using my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Planners are my favorite thing!! I love the weekly lay out and I've got to have enough room for a to do list each day. I've used the same type of planner for over ten years. I'm definitely a paper planner person :)

    ReplyDelete