Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My View on "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up"

One of my January goals was to read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  This plays into one of my resolutions for the year - organize everything!  MLK Day proved to be a great day to knock this book off my list, and I wanted to share my thoughts on how I plan to adapt what I learned into my own organizing system.



To me, the main overlying message was to only keep things that bring yourself joy.  It makes sense.  You are happier when you are surrounded by people you love, so why wouldn't you be happier surrounded by things you love, too?!  Nothing too ground shattering there, but sometimes you need to read / see things to help them sink in.

Below are a few of my biggest takeaways:

1.  Organize by category, not by room.  I really like this idea.  You get everything of one thing, for example books, and look through them all at once.  If you are like me, you have books a few differently places in your home, and it's easy to look through them just where they are, as opposed to piling them all together to sort.

2.  Touch everything.  This is a big one for me.  I often think by just looking at things I can decide what to do with them well enough, but physically touching everything is key. 

3.  Start with clothes, end with keepsakes.  While I love clothes, it's way easier for me to get rid of them than it is for me to toss an old birthday card.  By starting with something a bit easier, then you will just start to build on that momentum so that when you get to the harder stuff, it will be easier.

A few things I am going to take into consideration:

1.  Folding instead of hanging.  I actually utilize her folding method for some of my old t shirts, but that is really it.  The idea is that you can fold your items, then store them vertical in a file like fashion, so that you can see everything, as opposed to folding and stacking, which lessens your storage space, and allows you to forget about items on the bottom.

2.  Fold and roll socks, as opposed to "balling" them.  I am totally the person that makes little balls with my socks.  I can't explain it very well, but I usually fold them, then kind of put the top inside out so it holds them in a little ball.  The book suggests folding, rolling, and then storing them so that the "swirl" is up.  I actually tried this with my athletic socks and I do think it takes up less space!

Now for the hokey bits...

1.  Talking to your things.  For example, coming home and greeting your place, and saying thank you for offering shelter.  I guess you could relate this almost to a prayer, where you thank god for your home, food, and such, but actually addressing your home and other inanimate objects seems a bit strange to me.  I was warned about this, but still kind of thought "what in the world" when I was reading these parts.

2.  Resting your items.  Now I understand putting things back in their place, like putting your shoes away after you wear them, but letting things "rest" is a bit out there for me.  The idea of unpacking my purse every single night to let the bag rest does not work for me.  I use the same purse all the time, and I know if I emptied it out every night, I would surely forget to fully repack it the next morning.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book.  I pretty much love reading anything about organizing, so it definitely fit the bill.  While some of the ideas were a bit out there for me, I did have some takeaways, so I would say it is worth the read.  If anything, it will get you excited about reorganizing, which in of itself is a good thing.

For those of you who have read this book already, I am curious to hear your thoughts - did you have any big takeaways?  

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.  

21 comments:

  1. I like the idea of folding and storing your t-shirts vertically like files because that actually makes sense--sometimes I do forget about shirts on the bottom of my drawers! And I actually died laughing when I got to the crazy parts of the books--talking to your items?! Umm no! haha! Oh and organizing by category would be so helpful to keep me on task because I tend to get distracted SO easily!!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book! It's been sitting on my bedside table for a year. Unread hahaa. Clearly I'm not that tidy!! I need to read it and follow it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing with my socks LOL!! I like the idea of touching everything & I know that I could use a little clean out session for things that only bring me joy! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review of this book! I've been meaning to get it but I think just reading yours and others tips should be good :) I do the same thing with my socks, that's too funny! I do roll my kids clothes and put them in a vertical file fashion but not with my own - and empty your purse every night for it to rest?!? Um no LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like balling up my socks! The pair is always together. I think it's genius! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at talking to your things hehe. I have tried that folding method with my shirts and I do like it better than the stacking. However, I find that when I pull one out, then the shirts on either side pull out and I'm standing there folding two other shirts to get them back into place and look neat. My tshirt drawer went a little haywire because of that, not gonna lie. But it definitely did save more space than stacking. And I was less likely to forget about the shirts that were on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooo I totally talk to my things...but only sometimes hahaha but on a serious note - thanks for the review! Have a great rest of your week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super interesting post! Everyone always raved about this book, so I was interested in reading your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used this method on our house last year and I did get a lot of things organized using her methods. I thought the talking and resting parts were very weird too! I am working on doing another clean out now and I love how much better our home feels with each drawer I move through! Being organized just makes your house feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, you MUST read her second book, Spark Joy! It goes into much more detail and I found it way more useful. I actually didn't gravitate toward the folding - I really prefer my things hanging (even shorts!) and our closet is pretty spacious so it works (especially since I purged a large amount of my clothes and now have so little, ha!). I do the rolling for the socks and think they look super, but my biggest takeaway was storing things vertically versus stacking. It's life changing and frees up infinite amounts of space :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of organizing by category and not by room. Such a great idea! And that sock idea is genius! Talking to your things is definitely a bit weird...haha! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I need this book! I hang almost everything up, maybe I should get better at folding :-P
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had pretty much the same view as you!! Still not going to say thank you to my house or pray to my closet haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to look into this. Maybe I could implement some things from day one at the house. ;) If I can convince Ben and Cooper. Maybe leave out the resting and taking though ;);) Thanks for sharing pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read that book last year, and some parts of it were definitely hokey, that's for sure! And I couldn't bring myself to fold my socks... I love the way they look rolled in the little balls that I've been doing my whole life. The thing that got me the most was definitely the whole "spark joy" part. Before I purged I was hanging onto several tops that I was keeping for who knows why, but then when I realized they didn't spark joy and that I was never going to wear them, it made it a lot easier to toss them. I'm ready to do the whole process again! I loved your insight on this book! And good for you for already knocking out one of your goals to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did have to LOL about the talking to your things and letting them rest. I would struggle getting through those sections ;) But I am definitely all about the touching everything tactic. We've been doing lots of decluttering in the past year and physically going through everything piece by piece has been key for us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the thought of this. Touch everything. Start with one thing not one room. Such a great way to get your life organized.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i will ball my socks until the day i die. haha. i did like the book, though like you, i took what i wanted/agreed with and ignored the hokey parts i didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your take aways! I'm hoping to go through all of my clothes this year and touch every piece that I'm going to keep. Right now it's all in bins and I've just glanced at them. I can't get on board with talking to my things or letting things rest. haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. I figured out the fold and roll for t-shirts and such several years ago and it seriously changed mom life for sure...my kids were forever digging through the stack in their drawers to find the perfect shirt and thus the drawers would be so chaotic! This method works amazing for packing in a suitcase too....I have not traveled with anything but a carry on since figuring it out. I was also shocked at the socks! But yes..not talking to my stuff and for sure no purse unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still have never read this so I loved your recap! While I need to do a better job putting my shoes away each day, I definitely can't see myself constantly emptying out my bag either! I hang most of my things (as much as possible) because we have so little drawer space, but I'm intrigued by the folding methods now.

    ReplyDelete