Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Girls Day Out 2016

Last year, my grandma, mom, aunt and I all took a little "field trip" before Christmas to The Museum of Science and Industry to see the Christmas trees, then out to lunch.  It was a really fun time, and something we decided to do again this year.  To switch things up, we planned a shopping trip, followed by lunch.

My love for antique shops comes from my mom, who got it from my grandma.  My grandma discovered this really neat shop not too far from her, so the four of us headed there for our first stop of the day.  The store is called Antiques of Winfield.  It's stuffed full of goodies, with three floors of booths to look through, although with items out on the porch.  Prices were reasonable and the pickings were good, so we all left with something!  


(picture pulled from store website)

Since we were pretty close, we decided to head on to Geneva, IL, which is a super neat little town with awesome shopping.  I had never been there before, but heard such good things.  I can totally see why - it's right on the river which is awesome, the residential area is too quaint and the shops are plentiful.  Our destination was The Little Traveler, which has 36 rooms full of goodies, from clothes to toys to food to trinkets.  They actually have a little cafe, which we were considering stopping at, but my grandma made the executive decision that we were going to hit up Portillo's instead.  Which, if you have been reading here long, you know I am obsessed with Portillo's.  It was pretty late, so we were hungry!  I had my usual, a chocolate shake and a hot dog, and then a bit more, as my grandma and I shared an extra hot dog!  It was a bit indulgent, but so, so very good.


(front of The Little Traveler)

My aunt and uncle recently moved into a new place, so we headed over there after lunch to check it out.  It's so nice, with a deck area overlooking a lake - can't beat that!

It was such a lovely day all hanging out together.  I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to have days like that, where we can all get together and just enjoy each other!

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely day spent together & I'm loving that you shared a hot dog with your grandma :) xo, BIana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. That area sounds so cute! You'll have to tell us what you left with! I love checking out locally owned little shops--you never know what you're going to find, and it's something that no one else will have!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun girls day with family!!!! These are the BEST days and Portillos...yes!!! Yay Grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! 36 rooms?! I can't even imagine what that looked like!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to check that place out, Winfield isn't close but it's not that far either. My sister lives in Geneva and it's such a beautiful town!! What a fun girls day! (we also had portillos over break and I totally overindulged!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun GDO! I agree with Sarah, what did you end up getting at the antique shop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun day! I love getting to explore like that and be with family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day with the girls, and how cute is that shop? <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girls day out with your grandma and mom sound amazing! I definitely have to plan something like that with my ladies. The little Traveler sounds like so much fun! Happy New Year to you and your family. Sending many well wishes for the upcoming year <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun girls day with your mom and grandma. And I love that you shared the extra hot dog with your grandma! Happy New Year!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  11. That house is so beautiful. What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would so fit in with this situation! How fun! I wish my grandma's were still around - such fabulous women!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun idea. I'm glad your girl's day out was a success.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture of The Little Traveler is so picturesque. Gosh, I wish we could have some snow down here! There's a chance on Saturday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed! What a fun girls' day out with your family. I love that you and your mom are really close. I'm super close with my mom, too, and I couldn't imagine not being close with her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun girl's day! So awesome to have those special bonds with the women in your life :-)

    ReplyDelete