Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Weekend Recap: Christmas 2016

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!  Mine was filled with lots of family and good food.

Christmas started on Friday night, with my dad's side of the family.  It's hard for all of us to get together, because everyone is scattered all over the place, but there was a really great turn out.  Many of my cousins have their own families now, or are expecting, so it was fun to see the older ones running around, passing around the little ones, and see the two who are expecting.  I feel like it was full circle - this is what my aunts and uncles must have felt like with all of us running around and now it's the cousins' turn.  My aunt made fudge, of course, and we had lots of other yummy food, too.  After we left, we headed around town to see some lights.  There were some nice houses, but I am definitely partial to my parents.  I just love the classic look.  Ohhh, and we finished the Christmas puzzle!





Christmas Eve was spent in the kitchen.  We were cooking for Christmas Eve meals, as well as dishes for Christmas the next day, not to mention finishing up some sugar cookies!  One thing I wanted to do this year was to make some Christmas cookies.  My dad choose sugar cookies as one, so that was the first thing on the agenda that morning.  It took us a few batches to figure out how to roll them nicely.  We used a recipe my mom had from a fellow teacher and holy cow, were they delicious.  I can totally understand why people go through all the effort of making the dough, chilling it, rolling it out, baking, cooling and then frosting.  Seriously delicious.  My mom made a potato soup for lunch, which was delicious and very easy.  While I love my baked potato soup, this one seemed a bit lighter, which is a nice alternative.  We finally got out of the kitchen around 4:30 and started in on some Christmas movies - The Santa Clause.  Dinner was stuffed shells, a favorite of mine, with garlic cheese bread and chopped salad - yum!  We watched A Christmas Carol afterwards, but I passed out around like 8:00 and missed the majority of it.



I was up bright and early Christmas morning, so I ended up watching the movie I had missed the night before.  We opened presents, then had our usual monkey bread for breakfast.  It was SO GOOD.  My mom paired it with scrambled eggs and a little bit of bacon, which was a nice compliment.  After eating and getting ready, we hit the road to go to my grandma's.  While the crowd was smaller, it was still a nice Christmas.  We snacked while opening presents, then turned on the basketball games.  The guys watched, my grandma, mom and aunt started on dinner, and I poured over my new cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow.  I really have an obsession with cookbooks, and this one is no exception.  There are a ton of recipes I want to try out, and since I was gifted the book from Target, it includes 4 bonus recipes at the end!  If you have any recommendations on recipes you have tried from this book, please let me know!  Dinner was amazing, as were my aunt's cookies.  The evening ended up with cards, and then a foggy and rainy drive home.  






The day after Christmas was one to just relax and recharge.  Christmas on the weekend is the best, because that means you automatically get a longer weekend.

Happy Tuesday!

Linking up with Biana.
   

21 comments:

  1. So happy that you had a wonderful holiday weekend! All of the treats look so delicious and I'm putting that cookbook on my Amazon wish list right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had the best Christmas!! How fun that you baked all Christmas Eve with your Mom. I am checking out that cookbook now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of those sweets is calling my name! I forgot to tell you but I've baked the chicken parm recipe from the Skinnytaste website and it's amazing! I love that top you have on :) That color looks so good on you! Love you, friend! So glad you're getting a long Christmas break!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spending Christmas with family is the best! I have Skinnytaste cookbook but not sure it's that one. I've had a slight obsession with cookbooks this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had such a great Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a wonderful Christmas filled with lots of food and family time! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh all of those sweets look so yummy! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas celebration! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like one amazing Christmas! :) Your parents house is so pretty, I love the classic look too! And I know what you mean about the full circle feeling... Christmas Eve was like an explosion of kids/babies/preggos haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is what I call a real Christmas. Even the house looks straight out of a movie. I love puzzles. That Christmas Puzzle is adorable, and those Christmas Cookies look delicious. Glad your holidays were wonderful <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a Christmas weekend that was perfect! All those yummy goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Christmas eve sounds perfect-nothing beats a day of holiday baking! Your parents house is so adorable and quaint-I love it. I hope you enjoyed the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hunter green is DEFINITELY your color! You look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking the exact same thing with all the kiddos running around at our Christmas...what a wonderful Christmas you had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that you're so right about feeling what our parents must have felt like years ago when we were kids. Eventually we all grow up and end up eating at the adult table! It sounds like you're Christmas was perfect, and I loved that we got a longer weekend this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it was a wonderful Christmas weekend! I will have to check out the Skinnytaste cookbook. I love cookbooks too -- that's so awesome that the extra recipes were included since it was from Target!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Christmas spread sounds delicious! I've never tried monkey bread so will have to look up a recipe. I agree your parents house is gorgeous and very festive for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had a great Christmas! All of those treats look so yummy. Your puzzle came out great too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a great Christmas with all of your family! The dessert trays look sooo good, and hearing you talk about monkey bread has me totally craving it now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful weekend, Emily! I know you were so excited to get to spend so much time with your family. I really need to try your monkey bread... I've never had it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfect Christmas weekend. I love sugar cookies. They really are a labor of love, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete