Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Book Review: November 2016 + ALL the Christmas Books + Holiday Outfit

As you can see from the title, I am trying to stuff a bunch of things into one post today.  

First off, though, I wanted to thank you for all your kind words yesterday.  They were much appreciated!!

On to the books.  Today I will be sharing my November reads, as well as the Christmas books I have gotten to so far this year.  I figured it would be silly to share them next month, since Christmas will be but a distant memory by then!



The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close.  If you are interested in hearing about what it would be like to work in politics, this would be a good read for you.  It was especially perfect around election time.  I really enjoyed it, and it kept me guessing on how things would end.  

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover.  I kind of hated this book.  I really wanted it to end differently than it did.  It's about a women who grew up seeing an abusive relationship between her parents and then gets into one herself.  It's definitely a real-life type of book, and while others may appreciate the end, I wanted it to be different.  

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld.  This was a great book!  A super easy and fast read.  It's about a somewhat dysfunctional family, and follows along in all their different journeys.   

The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh.  I really enjoyed this book, as well.  A king is cursed, and has to kill X amount of women to release the curse, and a woman volunteers to be his next victim so that she may avenge her friend's death.  Of course, things aren't as they seem, and a love story emerges.  Another quick read, this one has you rooting for a happily ever after, but is one of two, so you don't find out what actually happens.  

The Island House by Nancy Thayer.  Similar to Elin Hilderbrand, books, this book takes place in Nantucket.  A girl goes to stay with the family she has been summering with since college.  Lots of different stories come into play, about all the family members and their friends.  If you like Elin, then you will enjoy this!   

Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst.  I heard so many good things about this book, I was anxiously awaiting for it to be available at the library.  I had to return it before I made it all the way through the book, but I didn't really find it that great.  I just felt like the book jumped all over the place, without actually giving you any substance.  I would like to give it another try to see if the second time is a charm (and making it to the end).  



Twelve Day of Christmas by Debbie Macomber.  This was a super cute and fast Christmas read.  It's all about killing someone with kindness around the holiday season, and what it actually shows you.  Not to mention a good love story, with a "secret" that has the chance to mess it all up!  

Dashing Through the Snow by Debbie Macomber.  Another cute, Christmas read.  It's supposed to be made into a Hallmark movie, so that tells you what kind of book it is!

A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer.  If you are a dog lover, you will probably enjoy this book!  It's about a dog and then a family whose stories end up crossing paths.  A women marries a divorcee and his daughter still holds hope that her parents will get back together, so she basically shuns her stepmother and tries to make her life miserable while staying with them at Christmas.  

Welcome to Serenity by Sherryl Woods.  This book is about a man and woman who are basically set up, only to have many obstacles in their way.  Neither have good Christmas memories, so it is all about creating that holiday spirit while overcoming the hardships thrown at them.   

Christmas in Mustang Creek by Linda Lael Miller.  Taking a chance on love, a man gets a job in his ex's hometown, in hopes that they can make it work.  With the help of Mrs. Klozz (which we know in all Christmas books is probably really Mrs. Claus...), she gets back on her feet and their relationship gets a second chance.  

Christmas in Paris by Anita Hughes.  After reading this, I so would love to go to Paris around Christmas time.  A woman decides to call of her wedding days before, and then flies to Paris to enjoy what would have been her honeymoon.  In the suite next to hers, is a man whose fiancee left him for another man.  They meet, and during one of their adventures, the woman runs into a fortune teller who tells her some things that do come true.  She then believes everything the fortune teller told her is true, and she goes on the search to make the last things come true.  A love story develops, but you aren't quite sure how things will end.   

A Proposal for Christmas by Linda Lael Miller, Lindsay McKenna.  Two books in one - one a novella, these weren't my favorite.  The first book dragged on a bit, and the second was a sweet little story, but nothing great.  Out of all of the Christmas books I have shared, this is the one I would probably say skip.

Please share if you have read any good holiday books this year - up next on my list is the "Winter" series by Elin Hilderbrand.

Moving onto my holiday outfit...I have to say I haven't thought much about my outfit this year.  I always like to get something specific to wear for the holiday, but this year, I think I will just look through my closet and grab something I already have.  To be festive, I am thinking about pairing my kelly green sweater I shared last Friday, with either black jeans, trousers jeans, or dress pants.  I picked up these black booties on Black Friday for a steal (although they are on sale even more now - $64.75, originally $129.50!!) and will probably pair them with whatever bottoms I go with.  They are so comfy, while being a bit on the dressier side so that they are good for both work and play.  I need to get come up with a couple other ideas - hopefully some of the link up posts will help inspire me! 

Linking up with Whitney, Sarah, Victoria, and Steph.
   

27 comments:

  1. I need to read some more Christmas books! I've been scouring my library's shelf, but they don't have many. I just read The Christmas Jars and The Christmas Jars Reunion. Such great, uplifting reads! I love those booties. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of all of the reading you're doing right now! And I'm also jealous of your graphics....you must teach me how to make those haha! I am really hoping to do some reading once school is actually out for Christmas because right now everything is just crazy!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading Dashing Through the Snow. My mom gets me a Christmas book every year and then the next season I read it. You've got a great list here girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I went and added the Christmas books to my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with all of the reading you do!! I can't remember the last time I read a book let alone multiple in one month! Love all your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Hopefuls last month too, and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting about Uninvited. Like you, I've heard a million good things about it. Sometimes I almost prefer not to read books that everyone is raving about because my expectations are hard to reach, and I always just sit and wait for it to get good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the middle of Elin Hildebrand's Winter trilogy and loving it :) I also LOVED Eligible - glad to hear that you did too! Looks like you have read so many fun Christmas books - what a great way to get into the holiday spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Winter series by Elin Hilderbrand is so good!! You will love it! Thank you for these suggestions, I have been in a reading slump lately and need some new books! Love those sweaters and booties. I haven't seen trouser jeans before but I think they would be super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mom loves all those Debbie Macomber books, I need to read some but I am soooo slow at reading. I haven't even opened up Winter Storm (last one of the trilogy) yet and I want to finish by Christmas! I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It Ends With Us was definitely one of my least favorite books this year-- I thought the entire storyline was so weak. I've only read one of the Winter books (reviewed today), but I think you'll love them since you read so many of Hilderbrand's books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm honestly not sure if i can handle it ends with us. i've heard good and bad reviews but considering the subject, i might skip it.
    i LOVED eligible. are you a p&p fan??
    i also loved the wrath & the dawn. the second is good! read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the suggestions! I seriously have not even met my measly goal of 12 books this year! lol I loved Uninvited but I definitely think you have to have had some of the similar circumstances to relate to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I loved the Wrath and the Dawn and the second one is good too. I've read Colleen Hoover once before and you're right she writes about some dark stuff. Not sure I'd be able to handle this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like when a book can make me want to experience something, like Paris around Christmas!

    Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Wrath and the Dawn is already on my TBR. So is Uninvited. Hopefully I like it more than you did, but I also get frustrated when I find the substance lacking in a non-fiction book too. I've been thinking I should read a Christmas book and you've given me so many good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl you killed it with all of your reading lately! I really enjoyed Eligible too, and thought that it was a cute and light read. I keep on seeing Twelve Days of Christmas all over the place so maybe I need to pick this one up before the holidays are over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, you are a READING MACHINE! I haven't read a book in a couple of months because things have just been so crazy. Come January, I'm going to be dying to read something!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What are your feelings on Pride & Prejudice? I feel like that is a big factor if you will like Eligible. It was hard for me to read without constantly comparing to P&P.
    I don't read much YA but I did really like The Wrath & the Dawn. The sequel not quite as much but a satisfying conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man, I loved It Ends With Us! Sorry you weren't a big fan. I really liked Eligible too though. I liked the blogger aspect of Macomber's Twelve Days of Christmas but thought it was just okay. So far, my favorite holiday read has been The Mistletoe Secret by Richard Paul Evans.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the Christmas books you have read! I thought the Twelve Days of Christmas was fun too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have The Wrath and the Dawn that I really need to read. I'm curious about The Hopefuls - glad you liked it! I haven't really read many winter/christmas books this year. I did more last year though.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved Eligible so much! What a great list of books!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've still to read The Wrath and the Dawn. I've heard lots of good things about it and I already have the second book on Kindle (I found it on the cheap), so I should really read the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow you read a lot of books lately. I am sorry about the abusive book. I hate when I hate a book that much. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. the hopefuls sounds interesting! I've read one of her books before and liked it, adding this one to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVED Eligible! And I just got It Ends With Us, so I'm pretty excited to read it, but a bit wary you weren't a fan. I'll keep you posted!

    -- Dara || www.peoniesandhoneybees.com

    ReplyDelete