Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Shopping Small


Hey all!  As I mentioned yesterday, my mom and dad and I partook in Small Business Saturday.  While I love Nordstrom, Loft and all those stores, you can’t beat hitting up a local boutique or store, and supporting those small businesses.  I thought I would share with you some of the places I shop small, and why I love them! 

Our first stop was my favorite boutique, Charmed.  A friend from high school opened this store a 4.5 years ago and it has been going strong ever since.  I pretty much stop in there any time I am back home.  I can pick up basics like tank dresses and leggings to more "fun" pieces, like a chunky sweater I got earlier this fall.  Another huge plus is that she offers clothes that are perfect for any age - both my mom and I are big fans!  It’s the perfect place to buy a gift, and you better believe I got a few this past Saturday.  Right now she has these Emirish bracelets (pictured below), which I am loving.  They come in a million different colors - these are just a few she has in the store.  My mom had me pick out a few for myself for Christmas, I purchased one myself, and also got some to give as a gift!  I have a feeling I will be picking up one or two for the next couple visits, because it was so hard to narrow down which ones to get!

A store in the next town over, The Spotted Owl, had their open house this weekend so we headed there as well.  The owner actually taught with my mom a few years ago, so I know she really enjoyed being able to go there and support.  The store is in an old house, which is really fun, because each room has something new.  I added to my Christmas decorations with a cute little tree, and then my mom got us both ornaments – just very unique pieces.  The place was packed, and I know that little town is so glad to have the store reopened.

There was a Magnolia Pop Up store I really wanted to go to – a small business decided to showcase a larger line of Magnolia products in a recently vacated space next to their store.  It was so neat to see the items in person, and on each piece, there was a photo showing what episode it had been used in and where.  We headed on over to see the shop that held this, Fabulous Affairs, and picked up a few gifts – a new planner for me and little Cubs book for Jack!  It was too funny – we ran into an old family friend whose wife happened to be the sister of the owner.  Who knew?  It really can be such a small world!

If you weren’t able to make it out for Small Business Saturday, make sure to check out your local shops.  Even if you can’t find one in your town or city to your liking, you can still shop small online.  It’s amazing the number of etsy shops that bloggers have, like Plan in Color (Erin) and The Sheep Shack (Jess), side businesses, like the one Chesson started, selling and making fun drink coasters, or other boutiques you can find online!  If you are like me and would love to have your own small business for others to shop small, check out fundera for some loan help to get started!

What's your favorite small business?

Linking up with Whitney.
   

18 comments:

  1. My town used to have this great store that sold cute home decor but at a great price and I used to shop there all the time. Then the owner closed it due to family health problems :( I told Dustin we should have bought it because it was such a popular store! I love those bracelets you pictured and I would have loved looking at the Magnolia line!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to shop small town businesses. Talk about cute finds and cozy stores. Love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Magnolia pop up store sounds amazing! We have a few favorite small shops that we love to walk to and purchase items from. It really creates a sense of community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love supporting small businesses, too. That shop in the old house sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being able to support small businesses even though Nordstrom and the likes are filled to the brim with items. Sometimes the stuff that you can get from a little shop is a one of a kind thing! Last year, when we were in a little town near San Antonio called Gruene, TX I loved all the fun little shops they had and I ended up buying quite a bit of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love local stores like these! They always have the neatest things. Love those bracelets!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These places look great! We have some great boutiques here where I get most of my gifts for my girlfriends. We love supporting small businesses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore this day bc of the small town I live in! (Farmville!) look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't get a chance to actually make it in to any stores for small business Saturday, but I did purchase some things from Etsy! Like you said, I feel like you end up finding more unique products at smaller stores that are ran by one owner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sunroom is what my dreams are made of! So pretty! Love this idea for a post. I read an article recently that our generation is the generation of being entrepreneurs, and that it's important to support each other as we venture out to do our own things (i.e. small businesses!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Spotted Owl place looks adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have loved to go to that Magnolia pop-up store! Small businesses are so fun and unique! I admire the hard work and aspirations that it takes those people to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun places to visit and support! Loving the decor and those bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love shopping small, too! We live in a small town and have a few stores here that I love, plus we're very close to McKinney, Texas that has an amazing downtown. Are you really thinking about opening your own store? You should go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love small businesses! Every year I vow to buy all of my gifts from only locally owned businesses! The Magnolia shop would have definitely been on my must visit list! Looks like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I didn't shop at all this weekend (haha!) but these places look great. Here in the Portland area we have this super cute boutique called Janelle James - it has the CUTEST dresses, totally my go-to for every party and event. The owner (Janelle) was actually my personal shopper for my bridesmaid dresses and she found the perfect ones! Small businesses are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love shopping at small businesses. WE did some of that this weekend too. And we are getting the girls Santa photos done at one this weekend and more shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those shops look so cute. I love the unique pieces small places offer. I also love arm candy! I'll have to check out the bracelets. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete