Wednesday, November 2, 2016

French Oven Beef Stew

My mom's beef stew is one of my favorite comfort foods.  I know I say that about almost all of my mom's recipes I share on the blog, but for each one, it's so true!  This stew is warm, hearty and so delicious!  The recipe makes a ton, but that's ok by me, because the leftovers are super good, too.


French Oven Beef Stew
2lbs beef, cut into 1" cubes (chuck or arm roast)
2 onions, cut into 1/8ths
3 stalks of celery, cut into 1" diagonal pieces
4 medium carrots, peeled, cut into half, crosswise and lengthwise
1 large can of tomato juice
1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4" slices

Combine beef, onion, celery, carrot, tomato juice, tapioca, sugar, pepper, salt and basil in a casserole dish.  Cover and cook at 325 for 3 1/2 hours.  One hour before done, put in potatoes.  Enjoy!

Some things to note:  You can also used pre-cut stew meat from the grocery store to not have to deal with chopping up a piece of meat yourself.  For the celery, diagonal just means angling your cuts.  The carrot cutting instructions actually confused me a bit, but I wasn't sure how else to say it.  Basically, you just cut them into pieces, then down the middle so that you have two thinner pieces, than just the whole piece of carrot.  For me, the tapioca was located in the baking aisle, below the pudding packages.  I actually used pretty much the entire can of tomato juice - the original recipe calls for only 1 cup, but my mom said to add enough to cover all the ingredients.  The juice creates a super good sauce, which I like to have more of - pair with a few slices of crusty French bread and it's the perfect thing to mop up that extra juice!  Also, this is huge - you need a BIG casserole dish for this, or two regular size ones.  It makes a lot, if you are cooking for a family of four or less, I would suggest halving it, unless you want some good leftovers.

That ended up being quite a few notes, but honestly this is really easy to make and it's so very tasty.

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.
 
 

20 comments:

  1. I love beef stew so much but this one has ingredients I would never think to use! I'll definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so delicious! Comfort food at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I love all of the different ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, might have to try it :)

    http://brittscozycorner.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks perfect for cooler weather! Great tip on picking up the pre-cut stew meat at the grocery. I love cooking shortcuts, especially when they involve dealing with meat! Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saving!!! Thanks for sharing - I haven't made a version of this yet! Yum - have a great day pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this looks so good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! It's been way too long since I've had beef stew, such an amazing comfort food during the chillier months <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! It's been forever since we've made stew, so I feel like I need to try out this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good! Where do you find cooking tapioca in the grocery store?? I wouldn't know the first place to look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, I understand! My mom's recipes are my favorite comfort foods too! This sounds so yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, you've got me craving some beef stew something fierce. Beef stew was always one my favorites when I was growing up! Something about my moms recipe I love. I still can't make it quite as good as she does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to have to go with you to your parents' house and let your mom cook all weekend haha! This looks so, so good!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally intrigued by the use of tapioca! I'm assuming that is just helping to thicken the juice into a nice gravy. Stew is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love beef stew! So perfect for the colder months but I've never tried making it this way in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy!! There are so many interesting ingredients. It sounds like it would be the perfect dinner with leftovers this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use the pre-cut stew meat as well. It saves so much time. I love this take on stew and I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love recipes that are so simple- chuck all ingredients into casserole dish and bake. My kind of directions! And I'm with you on sopping up the extra sauce with bread- so good!

    ReplyDelete