Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Book Club: October 2016 Review


The Island by Elin Hilderbrand.  This was another good Hilderbrand book.  It is about a family coming together when they need each other the most.  I felt that all the loose ends were tied up at the end, which is my favorite.  


Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  I really had no expectations going into this book, but thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's about the relationship that forms between a man and two young boys during one summer road trip.  The man lost his son, which then ended up in his marriage falling apart.  The boys helped him grieve, and he helped them out of a bad situation.  That relationship continues on years later and I think the second part of the book is definitely my favorite.  I definitely suggest checking this one out.

Dancing with Fireflies by Denise Hunter.  I totally picked this up from seeing the cover.  A tragic event leads to the main character leaving the city to be home with her family.  During that time a romance develops with someone from her past.  There are typical ups and downs in this love story.  It's more of a Christian romance novel and is complete with a happy ending.

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand.  I really, really liked this Hilderbrand book.  It was a quick read, about two women that are both dealing with their own issues.  One whose husband commited fraud, and the other whose husband passed away.  They actually have been estranged the past few years, but turned to each other in this time of need.  It's interesting to see their relationship grow, as well as how they deal with the other stresses.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.  This book takes you back to the days of slaves.  It's crazy to think of how life was back then, the way people were treated.  It wasn't my favorite because I kind of got confused with the characters, and had a hard time getting back into it every time I put it down.  However, the ending was a good one, once I got towards there, I had to keep reading to find out what happened.

I have a stack of books to get through this month, but am always adding to my reading list, so please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Linking up with Steph and Whitney.  

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you stuck with The Kitchen House and finished it! It was definitely heavy subject matter. I may have to pick up Silver Girl next!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily!

    Take Me With You sounds like a really interesting story. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of the Island now, I've been trying to find time to read it for way too long. I need to just keep going with it but all my free time is spent binging Gilmore Gils! Silver Girl is on my list next but so is Winter Storm, the final book from that trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read the kitchen house last year i think and remember enjoying it. i LOVED take me with you. so many emotions. i wasn't as big a fan of the second half of the book until the ending, and then i was. so many emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good roundup of books last month. I love when you go into a book without any hype or expectations and it ends up being really enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding The Island and Take Me With You to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I loved the Kitchen House, way more than I was expecting to. I'm glad you stuck it out. The next one isn't AS good, but I still enjoyed it. Take Me With You is on my list - sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so many great things about Take Me with You. It's already on my TBR but I may need to bump it up on the priority list, which always seems to fluctuate. So many good books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silver Girl & The Island both sound great, I've heard her books are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been completely uninspired to read lately, probably just because the last two books I read weren't good. I need to add Elin to my list... I still haven't read any of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to actually read an Elin Hilderbrand book because it sounds like I'd love her style of books! I'm going to pick up Take Me With You too because it sounds like another really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to read an Elin Hildebrand book.
    I enjoyed The Kitchen House and look forward to reading the one after, Glory over Everything.
    Take Me With You in on my to read list already. Glad to hear another reader enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Take Me With You on my TBR list...so how sad, exactly, is it? I have to be in a certain mood for that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading Christmas at Primerose Hill by Karen Swan right now it is chit lit but not super cheesy, the last couple of books (Girl on the Train and Silent Girls) were kinda heavy! Decided to lighten it up a bit! I would recommend Silent Girls by Eric Rickstad for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to read an Elin Hilderbrand book. They always sound so good. I don't know why I haven't gotten to one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read a couple of Hilderbrand's books and thought they were okay, but neither of the two that you've read. I enjoy historical fiction and loved The Kitchen House.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Kitchen House was a tough pill to swallow.

    I adored Take Me With You.

    ReplyDelete