Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Grandma's Applesauce

My grandma makes THE BEST applesauce.  It's my very favorite.  I used to love applesauce from the grocery store, but once I had hers I was ruined for all others.  My mom got me the necessary tools to make this applesauce a long time ago, but I never attempted to make it myself...until now.  It's so easy and just so delicious.  To make it though, you need a food mill, so if you decide to go ahead and make this yourself (which you really, really should), get a food mill if you don't already have one.  My mom picked one up at Crate & Barrel, but I am sure you can find one pretty much anywhere that sells kitchen items.



Grandma's Applesauce
10 Jonathan apples
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Wash all 10 apples.  Cut into 1/8ths (no need to remove skins, seeds or stems).  In a large pot add the water, then the cut apples.  Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes, until apples are soft.  Place food mill over bowl.  Pour the pot contents, including the liquid, into the food mill.  Turn handle to make sauce.  Taste the applesauce, then sweeten with sugar to taste, adding no more than 1/2 cup of sugar.  Refrigerate before eating or pour into freezer bags, laying flat to freeze.  Enjoy!

A few notes:  You may think are you doing this wrong at first - I did.  When I poured the contents into the food mill, all the liquid went through and it did not look like applesauce til more towards the end.  It will be a pinkish color, as you can see in the picture.  That is what you want!  I only used a little bit of sugar, maybe 1/4 cup or so.  It really just depends on your preference.  If you are eating right away, just refrigerate a little bit at a time, freezing the rest.  It really freezes well, so you can make a few batches to stock the freezer.  Be ready though, other applesauce will no longer taste the same.  

Linking up with Whitney and Mary.

11 comments:

  1. I had no idea what a food mill was so I'm glad you linked to that!! I love how simple it is to make apple sauce and that this is your grandmother's recipe!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't know what a food mill is, this is good to know! Thanks for sharing, this looks so easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, this looks delicious. A food mill is like the ONE thing we don't have for our kitchen, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I had no idea what a food mill was when you first started talking about it, but I just went and looked at it and now I TOTALLY know! My mom has one of those that she used to use way back and I never would have even known what to call it. This sounds delicious and that's really good that you can freeze it. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of a food mill, but it definitely does look pretty easy to make applesauce with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like the perfect thing to do with apples during the fall! I love that it's a healthy alternative instead of doing an apple pie or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall perfection!! I'm hoping to make it to the apple orchard soon so we can make some delicious apple sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love homemade applesauce. I can't wait to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved applesauce and funny enough my Grandma is the one who got me started on it from young although not homemade. I'm sure your Grandma's recipe is better than any brand I tried considering how organic the ingredients are. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. My grandparents had apple and pear trees, and used to make the best applesauce and pearsauce and popsicles. You're so right, store bought applesauce just isn't good at all!

    ReplyDelete