Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Book Club: September 2016 Review

September was a pretty good reading month for me!  I was able to check a few books off my reading list, which is always a good thing.


The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand.  This was my 3rd Elin book and it has been my favorite out of all I have read thus far.  It's about two best friends and the craziness that is their life, including kids, marriage problems, money problems...the list could go on.  I think Chelsea said it best that this book covers some heavy topics, yet still feels like a light read.  I would definitely say to read this!

The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand.  This book is about a woman who seemingly has the perfect life, but in reality, things aren't quite so perfect.  Again with the marriage issues, family issues with her daughter and her fiance and work problems.  I had a SUPER hard time getting into this book, but I absolutely loved the end.  It was very unexpected and sad, but I really did enjoy it.  I would suggest reading this if you are willing to give it a little time to pick up.

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.  I heard so many good things about this book and they did not disappoint.  A book about a mother's want to have a child, and her husband's guilt over the situation.  I was expected to cry a bit more than I did, but definitely have the tissues at the end.  It also was recently made into a movie, which I heard was excellent as well.  A great read!

No String Attached by Kate Angell.  I totally judged a book by its cover with this one.  It seemed like it would be an easy read, and it was just that.  The main character is a bit peculiar, but in a very interesting way.  I enjoyed this book, and thought it was a good one after the previous book, which was a bit heavier.

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney.  I have read about others reading this for awhile now, so I made sure to request it from the library.  I thought it was just ok.  The characters were a bit annoying to me - just kind of whiney.  I did like the book throughout, but then I thought the ending was very anti-climatic.  Just not my favorite.  If it sounds interesting to you, then I would suggest reading it, but if you are indifferent, I wouldn't necessarily waste your time.  

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys.  Another book I discovered via blogs.  This book gives 4 different perspectives on World War II.  I have to admit, the beginning was a bit slow for me.  I kept getting the characters mixed up.  It picked up for me throughout and another book that I really, really enjoyed the end.  It was not as I expected at all.  The book also spotlights a major ship sinking that I had never even heard of.  A really good book, especially if you like historical fiction.

My reading list is ever growing - any recommendations to add?

Linking up with Steph and Whitney.  


26 comments:

  1. I've never read any of Elin's books but I think I need to, I see them all over blog world being recommended!! :) I also have Salt to the Sea on my to-read list, glad to hear you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Tuesday, Emily!
    I was going to read The Nest, but had heard mixed reviews so I was happy to read your thoughts on it too! I'm currently reading The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware and so far it has been pretty good! Have a great day!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty right now. I love her books. What Alice Forgot was my favorite and I just finished Emily Giffin's newest book. I'm enjoying them both. I'd like to check out those Elin Hilderbrand books. I've never read anything by her but have heard good things.

    The Lovely Latte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like The Nest much - Jana and I actually covered that on a podcast episode!

    I cried so hard at the end of The Light Between Oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard anything positive about The Nest so I'm glad I haven't gotten it to read. I definitely won't! Glad you liked The Light Between Oceans! It was wonderful!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more with your review of The Nest! I just added The Rumor to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really liked The Light Between Oceans too! Can't wait to see it in movie form!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm def gonna read this asap!
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm adding The Rumor to my TBR. I actually returned The Nest unread back to the library. I checked it out because it was the "it" book at the moment but just never felt like opening the darn book. I've seen enough mixed reviews that I also don't feel bad about it either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, okay I'm now convinced that I need to make Hilderbrand books a priority!! I feel similarly about The Nest. It passed the time, but wasn't nearly as amazing as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, I'm STILL reading The Nest and I'm completely uninspired to finish it. It almost feels like homework. I may just stop since the ending was anticlimactic. I need something good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to reading Salt to the Sea soon!! I enjoyed The Nest, but I still can't pinpoint why. It really captivated me when I read it in 2 days but it definitely won't be a re-read for me. Some of the characters were just a bit too unlikable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read any of Elin's books and I don't know why?! I need to fix that. I LOVED The Light Between Oceans too. I definitely cried more at the end than throughout. I haven't seen the movie yet, but really want to! I've heard nothing but "meh" things about The Nest so while I thought I would read it, I don't think I will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. salt to the sea is on my list. i liked the light between oceans, and i thought i'd cry more too.. i didn't, until the end. oh my emotions killed me. i've heard blah things about the nest, so i'm skipping it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love me some Elin too, but had a very hard time getting into The Matchmaker..in fact, I started it ages ago and still have a few chapters left. I am currently part-way through The Nest and cannot get into it either. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great recommendations! I still have yet to read my first Elin book...after your review I think The Matchmaker should be my first, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of these look like great reads, I'm adding them all to my list so that when I'm done with my existing reads, I have some more :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have those two Elin Hilderbrand books checked out from the library right now!! The Light Between Oceans is on my list to read so I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the suggestions. I just finished another book and was looking into new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep on hearing about Elin Hilderbrand, but I still haven't read any of her books! That needs to change soon! I'm so glad that you liked The Light Between Oceans and Salt To The Sea! Salt To The Sea was a little confusing at the beginning with the different perspectives, but it really learned in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing. I think I will read "The Matchmaker". I recently read "The Follower" by Jason Starr, it's about an early-twenties gal who doesn't know that someone is stalking and obsessing over her. It did not "wow" me, but it was a decent read to keep me intrigued for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm well aware that I was in the minority, but I wasn't a fan of The Light Between Oceans, although the atmosphere and scenery described was beautiful and my favorite part.
    I enjoyed Salt to the Sea. I'm a Ruta Sepetys fangirl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Light Between Oceans was a book I read for a book club, and I'm glad it was chosen because I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. I really enjoyed it can't wait to see the movie version! I'm reading my first Elin Hilderbrand book now and loving it, and The Rumor is on my TBR list so I'm looking forward to checking that one out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I felt the same way about The Nest - I'm glad I wasn't alone. Too much hype. The Light Between Oceans was amazing though :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't read any Elin Hilderbrand books. Which would you read first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Pam, I am obviously a bit behind on my comments. :) I would go with either The Rumor, The Island, or Silver Girl. They were all great!

      Delete