Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Labor Day Weekend Recap: Pontiac

Happy Wednesday!  It's back to reality for me.  I got home from Chicago yesterday afternoon and spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking, doing laundry, and catching up on my DVR.  

The first part of my Labor Day weekend was spent in my hometown, Pontiac.  I headed home Thursday night and I have to say, it sure was nice to be home!  The long weekend started off right with my favorite pizza.  I even stopped at Walmart on my way in for a bottle of wine, since my parents didn't have the kind I was craving.  It was a yummy mix!  The weekend gave us a taste of fall, so I fully enjoyed having windows open at my parents the whole time I was there.  

My mom and I started off Friday morning with a run.  Let's just say, my mom is a champ, while I could use a little more work on my endurance.  One of our favorite things to do together is shop, so we made our way to the mall and got a few goodies.  I wasn't overly impressed with the sales where we were, but I did snag these tops and these pants at Loft.  I love that the sleeves are a little longer, and the length of the pants is ideal for me as an ankle crop!  Yankee Candle was on the list of places for us to stop, so I got my favorite fall scent, as well as a new one, Autumn in the Park.  It's a little fresher than Spiced Pumpkin, which I think makes it a great transition candle.  Even though I probably shouldn't have, my mom and I headed to Charmed, a super cute boutique in town.  I snagged a sweater and demin dress.  I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can wear both of them!  My mom and I whipped up a fall banner for my apartment after we got home, which ended up into reorganizing her ribbon drawer.  She has a ridiculous amount of ribbon - the picture is probably only half of it!  


Saturday started with another walk.  We actually did the same route as our morning run, because I wanted to snap a picture of the sun over the fields.  Just so, so pretty!  My parents and I headed to Kane County Flea Market to meet my grandma.  It was the perfect day for the flea market and people were out and buying!  We all had a good day, although my dad probably made out the best with a 1973 Cubs roster picture for $1.00.  I finished reading The Light Between Oceans that evening and wow, was it as good as everyone was saying.  



My mom and I decided to do another walk Sunday morning, this time a different route though.  My mom made a pancake and bacon breakfast for us, which was delicious.  I have been craving pancakes and it really hit the spot.  Then it was onto Chicago - stay tuned!

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend back home! So so glad that you enjoyed Light Between Oceans like I did! Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a perfect weekend! I love how much time you and your mom got to spend together AND I love that you finished reading The Light Between Oceans! Wasn't it so good?! I'm thinking I need to go see the movie Saturday! Can't wait to hear about your Chicago trip!!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun weekend with your parents! Your mom sounds like a great runner, I'm so jealous lol. Off to check out what you scored on your shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip! Spending time with your mom is always the best. I can't wait to hear about Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to do the Kane County Flea Market forever! I was told I need to have no kids with me and bring a truck LOL! Sounds like a super fun weekend with your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had nice weather this weekend too, and it was such a treat! It looks like you had such a nice weekend with some great shopping finds. Love all of your mom's ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh I want to read it but I feel like Mom and I may just see the movie (even though I know the book will be better!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun weekend you your parents. I just add The Light Between Oceans to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great weekend at home! Love that picture of you, your mom & grandma!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like such a great weekend with your parents! Yes, your mom does have a lot of ribbon but that's not a bad thing! Love that KS purse of yours in the last pic! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom is such a trooper! I'd die running right now. I'm so excited for fall this year!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like such a lovely weekend! It's still bloody hot here in NNY, but I'm really hoping we can have some semblance of fall soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope and pray to be the awesome mom who can still kill it on a run ;-) Sounds like such a great visit home-I'm glad you packed in so much goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read The Light Between Oceans! My mom and I were just saying that we're going to go on a date to watch the movie when it comes out. I'm glad that you liked it!

    I love that your mom has a ribbon drawer... that's my kinda lady!! I can't wait to hear all about your Chicago trip! I bet it was a blast, but I'm sure it feels great to be home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I'm totally craving pancakes and bacon! Sounds like a great weekend! I need to get to Yankee Candle :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to spend quality time with your mom!

    I'm always catching up on my DVR. I'm pretty sure it's one of the best inventions ever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect weekend at home!! I love when you buy things for the upcoming season and can't wait to wear them - pretty much the best excuse to go shopping LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like you had the perfect Labor Day weekend with family! It's amazing how our parents can have more endurance on walks and runs than we can! My mom is always way faster than I am during our walks together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the Lucky Duck wine at WalMart, it's not bad for $4 or $5. I can't wait for the weather to be less humid here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun weekend with your family! That is one impressive ribbon collection :) She is ready to do any craft any time!

    ReplyDelete