Monday, September 12, 2016

Chicago Recap

This weekend was pretty low key so instead of a weekend recap, I will be recapping my Chicago trip.  One side note - if you are looking for a good movie to see, check out Hell or High Water.  SO good.

We headed to Chicago on Sunday morning.  We got there right around lunch time, so we headed to my favorite, Portillo's.  I have never seen that place so packed - the line was at the door!  Well worth the wait, though.  I had my usual, hot dog with everything and a chocolate shake.  Seriously is the best thing.  I so wish one would open up in the St. Louis area.  Prior to the trip, I had looked online at different things to do.  I came across a website that offered free, online, self-guided tours.  Basically, you just go to the website (evisitorguide.com), pick the area you want to check out, then follow along the map.  There are specific points of interest, where you can read a short paragraph or two.  It's a really neat idea for when you want to just walk around, but also sight see at the same time.  My brother had done a food tour in Old Town with his in-laws and raved about the area, so we decided that would be our destination.  I am so glad we went there, because it is such a neat area.  It has a bunch of restaurants and shops along the main road and then some super neat residential areas.  We enjoyed a few stops on the tour, then hung out at The Vig for a few drinks and an app (delicious!).  We got back to our hotel early evening and decided to give Shake Shack a try since it was right on the corner.  I have to say - it wasn't as good as I was expecting.  The shakes were so thick, it almost reminded me a Frosty from Wendy's in that you needed a spoon instead of a straw.  The burger was really delicious, but I have had others just as good.  After Shake Shack, we walked a little bit and enjoyed the streets of the city at night.

Monday, we had plans to meet my cousin for brunch.  We went to a placed called Brunch - perfect, no?  It was really delicious and not too crowded.  Luckily we went when we did, because the waiting area was packed when we left!  My cousin showed us around his neighborhood for a bit, then we checked out his new condo.  It's so awesome - exposed brick and duct work, with a huge balcony and kitchen!  The rest of the day was spent walking around an relaxing.  We stopped at a place to eat a light lunch along the River Walk.  There were some really neat areas along there and it was a perfect day to be outside by the water.  Dinner was at RPM Steak.  Other than Portillo's, this was probably the meal I was most looking forward to.  Unfortunately, it did not live up to expectations.  The apps and dessert were great.  Even the potatoes we got as a side were delicious.  But the meat was just not great and a good steak was the whole reason we had picked the restaurant.  It was hard to cut and then plates were sliding around the table so it made it even harder.  The plates were kind of a weird shape, too, in that you couldn't really set your knife on the edge without it slide down into the plate and all the juices on there.  Again, everything else was really good, but how bad the steak was kind of overshadowed all the good.












It was hard to leave the next morning - every time I am in Chicago I get the urge to move there.  It was a great trip and I cannot wait to go back!

Linking up with Biana.

24 comments:

  1. Oh no - RPM wasn't good - that's a let down for sure!! I loved Chicago and haven't been in years, so I think I'm due for a trip soon! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me miss Chicago! We did the food tour in Old Town and we have raved about it to friends (who have since gone as well). I love everything about that city....minus the Winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVEd your recap and all the yummy food and fun! I agree--SS is kinda over-hyped. I've only been once since they opened in Atl a couple of years ago. That and the crowds were ridic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our city and wish I would go down there more! Old Town is a great area and I've heard of Brunch but never been. I felt the same way about RPM Italian as you did RPM Steak, but the fact that I saw Guilanna & Bill made it so much better, ha! What a great trip you had! Oh and I hope you get a Portillos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about those plates! It is so hard to spend that much money for dinner then not be happy.....

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recap of Chicago. I so want to go there one day. I'm so surprised to hear that RPM wasn't good. My friend told me it was really good. Maybe they were just having an off night. Sorry that you were disappointed, that is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip!! Chicago has been on my list forever. My husband and I are both so into food and I just know we would love it. Love that there was a visitor guide app!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love Chicago and all the amazing food! Bummer that you didn't like Shake Shack, but that Brunch place sounds great and gimme all the Chicago dogs at Portillos! YUM! <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great trip! I used to go to Chicago every few years but haven't been in forever- but really want to go back and show my husband around. I think they just opened up an RPM in DC, but I haven't checked out any of the reviews. Such a bummer the steak didn't live up to the expectations- that's definitely what you'd expect to be the most amazing component of the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Chicago trip sounded (and looked) like such a blast! I want to go there so bad... before it gets super cold! Sorry to hear RPM and Shake Shack didn't live up to your expectations! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Chicago!! Sorry you didn't have the best food experiences though :( BUT that is an excuse to go back and try some new places!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Chicago!! It really is the kind of city that makes you want to just up and move there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been waiting for this post! I want to go to Chicago SO BAD! And we don't have Portillo's anywhere around here, but I've seen several people talk about it, and now I want one!

    I hate to hear that you were disappointed with Shake Shack, though. I've always wanted to try it as well, but I've always wondered if maybe it's a little overrated?

    And yes, a restaurant called Brunch? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Portillo's is just soooo yummy, I'm dreaming of a chocolate cake shake now! I've heard similar things about Shake Shack and RPM Steak. My friend went to the original RPM after hearing so much buzz about it and was really disappointed in the food. Glad you had such a fun time and I love Old Town so that's great that you got to walk around there a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been to Chicago but I really want to! Looks like you had a great time but that steak sounds rough. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's too bad about RPM, I've always wanted to try it. But you're right, the whole reason for going to a restaurant like that is for the steak, and when that isn't right, it's a total let down. Chicago is such a fun city -- sounds like you had a fun time otherwise!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is giving me Chicago envy so bad! The food tour sounds fantastic! I could totally do a vacation and just eat good food the entire time haha!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know we love our Chicago. almost went this past last weekend!! Portillos is the best and it makes me want a hot dog right now. So sorry your steak wasn't great at RPM steak! Our favorite place for steak in Chicago is Capitol Grille. Fun recap girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to visit Chicago! Your pictures remind me why :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never been to Chicago but it looks amazing! My husband is going for work in October and I wish so much that I could go with him but I have a work trip of my own that week. We will have to take a trip back together and visit some of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't been to chicago for around 20 years but I think we will be going back shortly! I will definitely remember to check out Brunch and that tour website. And your cousin's apartment sounds so cool!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fun trip!! I adore Chicago. I am so sad my sister doesn't live there anymore so I don't have an excuse to visit. I have been wanting to try shake shack, but now I'm not so sure! I do love a milkshake and burger though hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE reading travel recaps : ) I've never been to Chicago!! It sounds like you're a repeat visitor - when would be the best time of the year to travel there for the first time??

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always look forward to trying delicious food when we head to a new city. Your food sounded so good. Sorry that RPM wasn't great. It gets a lot of hype so I expected that would be the highlight of your food stops.

    ReplyDelete