Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Baked Potato Soup

Soup is one of my favorite things to eat when the weather gets cooler.  Homemade Chicken Noodle is my very favorite, but a close second has to be Baked Potato Soup.  I got this recipe from a sorority sister in college and have been hooked on it ever since.  Just something about potatoes, cheese and bacon that is so, so good.  If you are looking for a thick, creamy soup, this is for you.


Baked Potato Soup
3 large Baking Potatoes (I used about 5 medium size)
6 Tablespoons of thinly sliced Green Onion
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 teaspoon Dried Dill
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
4 cups Skim Milk
1 1/4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4 slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped + more for garnish

Bake potatoes and scoop out insides, setting aside.  In a soup pot, melt butter.  Stir in flour, dill, salt and pepper.  Add milk.  Stir and cook for 12-15 minutes until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Add in potato and one cup of your shredded cheddar cheese.  Stir together until cheese melts.  Serve, topping with extra cheese and crumbled bacon.  Enjoy!

Side note: when I made this, I baked the bacon.  Line a baking sheet with foil and place the bacon on the foil in a single layer.  Place in a cool oven (don't preheat), then bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  


Linking up with Mary and Laura.  

15 comments:

  1. Baked potato soups are one of my favorites (right behind broccoli cheddar). This one looks fantastic! How long did it take you to make it all do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such an easy recipe that's perfect to eat while cuddled up watching a Hallmark movie :) That's a perfect night to me! And I love baking my bacon too--that way you don't have to mess with splatter and flipping it over!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Love potato soup!! Never disappoints :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baked potato soup is my FAVORITE!! This sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm... potato soup! It's going to be soup weather soon and I can't wait to break out all of the good soup recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so tasty! Some of my favorite things about the fall are soup, tea, and hot chocolate. Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potato soup! This sounds like an easy recipe too!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baked potato soup is one of my favorites ever! So perfect for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me some baked potato in basically any form so I definitely have to try this soup out! Something about soups in the fall/winter just make it more cozy right?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, baked potato soup is one of my favorite things to eat in the winter ever!! I'll have to try this version... it sounds a lot like O'Charley's loaded potato soup... have you ever tried theirs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Baking your bacon is genius!! We always cook ours in the microwave because I don't like mine greasy... I like it dry and super crunchy. I'll have to try baking it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious! I'm not a huge fan of soup but I definitely would love to try this. Perfect for fall <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing!! I love soups when the weather gets cold so I'm going to have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been forever since I've had Baked Potato Soup. Your recipe sounds delicious. Will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!! I love baked potato soup, and crunchy bacon is the best. It's definitely nearing soup weather here (and I'm embracing it now) so I'll have to add this to the menu for next week!
    Thanks so much for sharing with Delicious Dish Tuesday! We took last week off so that's why I'm just now hopping over, but I wanted to let you know I'm featuring this as my favorite recipe for this week's DDT (today)! Please feel free to stop by and grab the "Featured Favorite" button, and bring along more fab recipes! Happy Tuesday! <3

    ReplyDelete