Monday, August 22, 2016

Weekend Recap

Happy Monday!  This weekend was a whirlwind and I feel like I need an extra day to recoup.  What is it about traveling that just wears you out?

My weekend actually started Thursday night since I took Friday off.  We had an early dinner at home, then headed to the movies to see War Dogs.  There was only one other person in the movie, so it was fun to have the theater almost all to ourselves.  I really enjoyed that movie.  I thought it was going to be a comedy, but it really wasn't at all.  Most of the funny parts were shown in the trailer.  However, the story was really good, especially it was based on a true story - something I did not know going in.  It's amazing what these guys did and honestly, how easily they got off in in the end.  Overall a very enjoyable movie with what I thought was an eye-opening message about military contracts.

Friday started off a little later than anticipated, because I wanted to paint my nails - priorities.  We headed to Indy late Friday morning.  The plan was to get to the city, hang out for a little bit, then meet my brother and sister in law for drinks.  We decided to stop at a sit down place for lunch on our way down, and that kind of threw our schedule off, but it turned out being really fun.  Lunch was wonderful and we also stopped at a few roadside attractions.  More on those later this week!  We finally got to Indy, which was hopping, and shortly after getting in we headed out for dinner in Broad Ripple - my brother and sister in law's old stomping grounds from when they were in college.  Dinner was at Union Jack's which was so, so good.  When Matt and Jen got there, we had more drinks and enjoyed watching some of the Olympics together.  We don't often get one-on-one time with each other out, so it was really nice to be able to do that!

Jack's birthday party was Saturday, so after a quick breakfast, we got ready to head to the house.  We arrived shortly after my parents and between everyone there, we got the decorations up and ready to go.  Everything turned out so cute and came together so well.  In order to not make this post massive, the details on that, too, will be shared later this week!  The party was relatively small, with the guests being mostly family, and very close friends.  Jack was a little weary of all the people, but after he really woke up from his nap and had a full belly, he was loving it all!  He even went to town on his chocolate cupcake.  And, I have to say the mower we got him was a huge hit - he was totally into it!  The party pretty much ended when Jack went down for a nap.  The trek back to St. Louis was a little hairy in the beginning with some crazy downpours with limited visibility, but we made it back in one piece, thankfully.





I made a super great treat for breakfast on Sunday, Bacon-Cheddar Straws.  They were SO delicious, and relatively easy to make!  I used spicy mustard on half, and then just plain olive oil on the other - I wasn't real sure how I would like the mustard, but both were equally delicious!  There were quite a few left over, which I am already looking forward to heating up for breakfast this week.  The rest of the day was spent catching up on laundry, making a dent in my DVR, and blogging.  Has anyone else watched Hallmark's new series, Chesapeake Shores?  I watched the first episode and really liked it.  Just another one to add to my ever growing watch list!  It was so nice outside, I was able to sit on my balcony and knock out a few blog posts for the week.  Definitely a productive afternoon!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Linking up with Biana.
   

18 comments:

  1. I love 1st birthday parties because I love watching babies and their reactions to the cake in front of them! Some babies--like your nephew--dig into it and others barely touch it. It's hilarious! So glad you got to spend some time with your family!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to celebrate a first birthday - I think family and close friends is all you need for a good time!! Those bacon cheddar straws sound amazing!! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a great 1st birthday celebration for Jack! That pic of him with the cake is seriously so adorable! And bacon cheddar straws? Yes please! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, those bacon cheddar straws look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun party!! I love 1st bday parties, they are always so fun. I love babies reaction to the cake. I love when they go right into it, so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Jack is so so cute!! I haven't even heard of War Dogs? I need to get out more, ha ha. And I did see previews for that Hallmark show but haven't watched. I hope it's on demand so I can catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting your nails is always a great priority! I just wish they didn't take so long to fully dry! And how adorable is the birthday boy - too cute! Cheers to a great week <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. those bacon cheddar straws sound yummy!! Yep, Indy is our stomping grounds too. My SIL and BIL live there and son one goes to school there. We adore Broad Ripple. Looks like such a great time with Jack!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is adorable! And I totally see these bacon cheddar straws in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe that he's already one! Time is just flying. I know you enjoyed spending lots of time with your family!. I can't wait to see more from the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. War Dogs sounds interesting! I love watching babies dig into their smash cakes but feel sorry for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve the birthday party pics. Babies and cake make for the best photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hosting a small breakfast party this week and am in search of some recipe ideas, so I just opened up a tab for those bacon straws!! YUMMO!! Sounds like a super fun weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a nice weekend! I'm always trying to make a dent in my DVR but it just keeps filling up on me! ;) Speaking of which, I have Chesapeake Shores on my DVR but haven't gotten to watch it yet - glad to know it's worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when we get a whole movie theater practically to ourselves- I am so weirded about crowded theaters haha, I hate them so we hardly ever see a movie when it first comes out ;) Can't believe Jack is already a year old, I feel like we were just reading about him being born!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww he's so cute! Happy first birthday to Jack! Sounds like a great sort of weekend (and a tasty one with those bacon cheddar straws)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a great weekend, and I'm so jealous that you had Friday off! Family time is always the best, but especially when you're celebrating somebody as cute as your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great weekend and your nephew is so cute. Love the cupcake smash photos!!

    ReplyDelete