Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Road Trippin': St. Louis to Indianapolis

As I mentioned yesterday, I headed to Indy this weekend to celebrate my godson's first birthday!  It's a little over a 4 hour drive from St. Louis, and honestly, it can seem a bit long.  Since we had left late morning, we decided to stop for lunch in Effingham, IL.  Effingham is known for the huge cross that is off the interstate.  I have heard the reasoning behind the large cross is because Effingham is considered the "crossroads of America" because of the interstates.  However, I tend to believe it is more due to Christian reasons, given the ten commandments are surrounding the bottom of the cross in stones.  Either way, Effingham is about half way, so it was the perfect place to stop.  We chose to go with Firefly Grill.  One of my sorority sisters had recommended it, and when I looked on Trip Advisor and Yelp, it was listed as the number one place to go!

We pulled up to the restaurant and it looked so neat from the outside!  Inside was just as great - we were seated on the "porch" area which was enclosed and air conditioned, but had a wall of windows that overlooked a pond with fish.  We were both pretty hungry, so we ordered the hummus app to start and it was so delicious.  The bread was amazing, the hummus had such a good flavor, and I enjoyed topping it all with the mixture of olives and capers.  Yum!  For the main meal, I ordered the steak burger with an egg on top.  To me, adding an egg to a burger just makes it even better.  We were so pleasantly surprised with how delicious our meals were and I can definitely see this becoming a stop when we have extra time.  






Since our lunch took a bit longer than anticipated, we knew our time exploring Indy would be limited / non-existent, so when I saw a road side sign for the World's Largest Rocking Chair, it was pretty much a no brainer to stop.  After getting off at the exit, we realized that not only did this town house the largest rocking chair, but many other "World's Largest" items!  The signage right after the exit wasn't very helpful, but we eventually saw a sign for the World's Largest Golf Tee, so we headed that way.  I am not sure who came up with the idea to make the largest golf tee, but it was pretty large.  We lucked out at the golf course and found a list of all the other items in the town, as well as the locations.  The rocking chair and wind chimes were right across the street from each other, so we decided to check those out.  I don't know what I was expecting with the rocking chair, but holy cow is it huge!  Since we did want to try and get to Indy sooner than later, we ended our tour there, but there were so many other sites to see.  Who knew that Casey, IL would be such a little tourist attraction?








The trip to Indy turned out to be really fun with our impromptu stops!

Linking up with Laura.  

15 comments:

  1. Look at how cute you look in your Lilly dress! Love that you got to stop and see some of these tourist attractions. It's fun being a tourist in the state you're from! And I also want to hear more about "we" ;)
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roadside attractions like that!! SOunds like a lovely place--love the pics of the firefly grill! Fabulous weekend in the books!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love touristy attractions like that-they always make for some fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That place does look neat! What a cool view you had for lunch, and I'm totally with you! An egg on top of a burger makes it SO much better! :) glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun when you can break up the car ride with impromptu stops! Firefly Grill looks and sounds delicious! Hummus is usually my go-to on the appetizer menu and this one looks amazing! How fun is the world's largest golf tee too?!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. That restaurant looks and sounds so good-- what a great place to stop mid road trip. I've seen people talk about the giant rocking chair, but I had no idea there was a golf tee-- so random & fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun little stop!! My kids would probably love all those attractions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That restaurant is so neat. I love the name on the roof! I would also love that place with all of the largest things... makes for some good pictures. Jacob would have had a field day with that world's largest chair... too bad you can't sit in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always want to drive across the country and stop at random roadside attractions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That hummus board looks so tasty! I love random roadside attractions on road trips, you just can't beat them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that. I love the largest items concept. That restaurant looks beautiful. I could definitely eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun! We live right on the way to Indy so your tourist attractions would be a fun road trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm actually from a small town right outside Effingham! I got married in Effingham at Tuscan Hills Winery & had photos + have eaten at the Firefly countless times! I definitely recommended if you pass through there again, stop at the winery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in STL too. I have always wanted to check out Firefly Grill!

    ReplyDelete