Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Book Club: See Me by Nicholas Sparks and Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes

Today I am 'showing you my books'!

I have seen this link up a few different places, but Kristin reminded me of it yesterday (thank you!), which worked out perfectly because I had just finished a few library books.



First up we have See Me by Nicholas Sparks.  I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan and was excited when I saw this one at the library.  If you like his books, you will like this, although I did find it a little "darker" than some of his other books.  There is a love story, of course, where each character must work through their misgivings to be together.  There is also a stalker thrown in the mix which adds a little mystery and suspense.  I was a little surprised at the end, which was a good thing.  While I kind of had an idea of who the "bad guy" was throughout, the end still had me shocked and not wanting to put the book down.  My recommendation: read it!



I also checked out Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes.  I honestly wasn't too sure about this book when I first got into it.  I felt like it took me some time to get used to the writing style, but overall it was enjoyable.  It's about a few Manhattan socialites and their quest to find PHs - Potential Husbands.  Things don't go quite as smoothly as planned, and the book follows the ups and downs of the main character.  It was a little slow to start off with, but I did really enjoy the ending.  My recommendation: a little indifferent - if it sounds interesting go for it, but it's not going to be the best book ever, in my opinion.

Added bonus: Heartbreakers by Lori Foster.  I am a huge romance fan, and Lori Foster has written some good ones.  When I came across this book at the library that had two of her stories in it, I grabbed it immediately.  Unfortunately, it wasn't my favorite.  I think the characters just didn't pull at me like some of her other books.  My recommendation: pass on this one. 

Can't wait to check out what everyone else is reading!


Linking up with Steph, JanaLauraJennand Mackensey.   

17 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the Nicholas Sparks book--it was a bit darker. I'm curious to see if they will make it into a movie though....I think it would make a great movie! I'm having a hard time reading something right now. I read the first chapter of another Elin book I bought and then decided I wanted to take a break from her for right now, so then I picked up the next Harry Potter book that I wanted to reread and read the first chapter in it and that's about as much as I've read lately! I've been going through the past year rereading the HP books when I get a chance so I can't decide if I want to continue reading it or try to grab something that I've never read before. Ahh decisions, decisions haha!!! PS. I will have lots of time to text today so let's chat about what we want to do in the fall! I've been thinking on it!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to read Bergdorf Blondes several years ago and couldn't get into it. I guess I should have stuck it out a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read much Nicholas Sparks but I do watch the movie versions when they're eventually made. I know that's cheating but #noshame

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ill have to check out that Nicholas Sparks book eventually...once I get through my list Im working through currently haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love a good Nicholas Sparks book, so adding that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I've seen/read from Nicholas Sparks was that movie with Ryan Gosling and to my surprise, I actually liked it...I think it's called The Notebook? Not sure if I'd like the book but the movie was pretty good...also, Ryan Gosling LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got me wanting to try that NS book!! I have seen his movies, but i think I've only read one of his!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to be a huge fan of nicholas sparks back in the walk to remember/notebook days lol but now i just watch the movies when i want a good cry hahahaha. that sucks about heartbreakers, i have a lori foster book on my kindle i think.. but not that one. i think it's called don't tempt me? i could be wrong lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I read Bergdorf Blondes a few years back. Not a bad time passer!

    Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a real Nicolas Sparks fan but See Me actually sounds pretty decent. You had me at "darker". LOL! Romance used to be one of favorite genres but my love for it has faded. Back in the day, I did enjoy Lori Foster. Her books were quite steamy if I recall correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved See Me. And you're right, it was definitely darker than most of his... there were some nights where I was reading and I felt so paranoid... stalking scares me to death!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge sucker for Nicholas Sparks books, even though a lot of the time they seem the same to me. I'll have to check out See Me though because the stalker aspect does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a long time since I have read Nicholas Sparks-See Me sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to stop reading Nicholas Sparks books because the ending of them kept making me cry, haha! I always want a happy ending and so many of his books aren't exactly happily ever after types. And of course I never know which it will be until I get to the end of the book, haha! This one sounds really interesting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Listening to the audiobook version of See Me right now, and loving it so far. Can't wait to see how it ends! Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love a good Nicholas Sparks book. I might need to read that one before the summer ends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bergdorf Blondes is going on my list. It sounds like the perfect time passing book that will be a lot lighter than what I've been reading lately!

    ReplyDelete