Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Michigan 2016

This past weekend, I went with my family to Union Pier, Michigan.  We have been going to Michigan as long as I can remember.  In fact, the cottage we stay in, we have gone to for 15 years!  It truly is one of my favorite places...as my dad said this weekend, the sky is just bluer in Michigan.



We headed up to Michigan late morning on Saturday.  To make the drive go by faster when we got stuck in traffic, we played the license plate game - one of my favorite car games!  We didn't even get half, but it did help pass the time.  My mom packed us a lunch, so we stopped at the Michigan rest stop/welcome center for lunch.  It was a great place to stop - the weather was gorgeous so it was perfect to eat outside and they had samples of fresh Michigan blueberries at the door!  After eating, we headed into New Buffalo.  It was hopping - I have never seen so many people there.  New Buffalo is great, because the main street houses cute little shops and yummy restaurants, with the marina and public beach at the end of it.  We shopped around before it was time to meet my grandma at the cottage.  Union Pier is the next town over, so it wasn't a far drive at all.  Once we got to the cottage, we checked it out.  It's always fun to see what is new in the house, or what has changed.  The owner actually stopped by, too, with his sweet little pups.  It was really neat to meet him, and to hear a little bit more about the history of the area.  Apparently the place we stay, along with the surrounding cottages, were for teachers.  The teachers would stay there and pick the blueberries, and other fruit planted around the area for the Welch's....as in Welch's grape juice!  How crazy is that?!  We headed down to the beach just to walk around.  Since we didn't get there until late afternoon, we didn't get in the water that day, but took a walk along the beach and just enjoyed the weather.  One of my favorite things to do on vacation is get ice cream.  There is a place in New Buffalo called Oink's that has my very favorite ice cream - Blue Moon.  I hadn't had this ice cream in 5 long years...we made sure to make a trip there Saturday evening before the sunset.  I had the waffle cone and it was every bit as delicious as I remember.  We headed back to the beach to watch the sunset, although we got there towards the tail end.  It was still gorgeous!  My mom always brings a puzzle on vacation, so we spent a good portion of the afternoon and evening working on that.  We all were tired from traveling, so it was a pretty low-key night.  












The next day I started out early with a run.  For some reason running outside in St. Louis does not really appeal to me, but running outside in Michigan is a must for me!  Years ago we figured out a running route, although I honestly don't remember how far it actually is!  After I got back my mom and I decided to go for a walk to see if any new homes had popped up.  It's so fun to look at all the beach homes and imagine having one myself.  My aunt and cousin came in the morning, but they unfortunately brought the rain with them!  It rained the majority of the morning, but luckily it cleared off right around lunch time.  We wasted no time getting down to the beach!  The water was definitely colder than the day before, but once you got all in, it felt very refreshing!  The beach was a bit rocky right by the lake, but once you got in the sand was smooth under your feet.  Between time in the lake, walking along the shore and reading, it was the perfect beach day.  We had plans to go to one of our favorites, Redamak's, for dinner, so I stayed down at the beach as long as I could, soaking it all in until I had to head back up to get ready.  My uncle made it up in time to join us for dinner, which was so nice.  Redamak's is an institution - if you are ever in New Buffalo, you need to go there and get a burger.  Yum!  The wait was only 20 minutes, which honestly wasn't too bad.  We ended the night at Oink's for more ice cream.  My dad and I left shortly after to head home...we didn't know it at the time, but it was going to be quite the eventful drive.  Traffic was great, which was so nice, but there were terrible storms.  My dad has a ton of different apps, and the thunderstorm, tornado warnings kept going off left and right.  Thank goodness my dad was driving, because I would have been a mess.  We somehow timed it perfect, because we got to the affected areas right after the warnings had ended.  Needless to say, we were so happy to be home.



I woke up to some more crazy weather, but by the time I was ready to go to work, it had mostly passed.  I was about 15 minutes from home, when my dad calls that I forgot my straightener.  I am so glad he found that when he did.  I pulled off the interstate to wait for him to meet me and saw the most gorgeous sunrise.  The rest of the drive was uneventful, thankfully, and it was right to work.



I am super thankful I was able to spend some time in Michigan with my family.  It had been 5 long years, and I definitely don't want to go that long ago.  Although it was a lot of travel packed into a short amount of time, I definitely think the time spent with family was worth it!

Linking up with LauraJennand Mackensey.     

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you had a great time with family! The pictures are gorgeous but I'm sure they were much more beautiful in person! And glad your dad brought you your straightener--I would not fare well without my straightener haha!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful place! Now I'm totally craving ice cream and some good ol' nostalgia of playing the license plate game! <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a relaxing trip! Beautiful beach pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your recap!! I haven't been there in years, and itwas cold when I was! I loved seeing this summer trip and I'd love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were able to get away & spend some time with your family! That is always so refreshing :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful getaway, Emily! I love family traditions like this!

    So what does Blue Moon ice cream taste like, anyway? It's not Blue Moon like the beer is it?? When I saw you post that on IG the other day I immediately thought of the beer because it's my very favorite beer, but then I was thinking that beer flavored ice cream would probably be really gross. Haha.

    I'm glad that you guys were able to avoid all of the bad weather. I would have been totally freaked out. Tornadoes scare me TO DEATH. I would have been hyperventilating in the back of the car!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures, lady! And the ice cream looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michigan looks so beautiful, I can totally understand why you want to visit there as much as possible! I love that y'all go to the same house every year! We used to do that when we were taking family beach trips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun tradition and what a pretty setting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it was a wonderful weekend with your family and what gorgeous pictures you took! I grew up in Ohio so I went to Michigan a lot growing up. Totally agree, the sky is bluer in Michigan!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily we drove right past Redamaks on Saturday. We had been up to Sawyer and St Joe beach for the day!! Too funny we were right in the same area! We are only an hour away from Union Pier!! Michigan is truly the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much beauty! And I'm with you on the running, when we're in Michigan I love running and could probably train for a marathon or something crazy, but here I'm like no thanks most of the time. Your blue moon cone looks sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sure is one blue sky! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sunset!!!! I'd love to visit Michigan one day.. I've heard it's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Getting away and spending time with family is the best! It's so refreshing for the soul! We just got back from our visit home (Buffalo, NY) and enjoyed many days on Lake Erie! How I miss the sunsets!!

    ReplyDelete