Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Show & Tell Tuesday: Pets

Happy Show & Tell Tuesday!  This Tuesday's topic is pets.  Growing up, we always had cats.  My parents had a dog before I was born, but sadly, she passed away and they never got another.

Eleanor was the family cat when I was born.  She was probably one of the prettiest cats I have ever seen with her gray and white coat and pink nose.  She was so, so soft.  She loved my mom the best, but I like to think I was a close second.  We used to call her EB, or Eleanor Belly, because unfortunately, I think the vet botched it when they fixed her and her belly would hang a little bit when she walked.  I couldn't find the best picture of her, but you can see how gorgeous her coat was below. 



While Eleanor was still alive, we also got a second cat, Theodore.  He was a stray in the neighborhood that my mom ended up feeding...and eventually he became ours.  I actually was so scared of him when we first got him.  I remember being in my bedroom and scared to leave because he was sitting right outside my door.  Luckily that passed and we became best buds.  He was the chubbiest thing, with short, stumpy legs and a fat body.  He loved to be where you were.  I have many memories of doing my homework at the dining room table with him either laying behind me on the back of the chair, or right at the top of my papers on the table.  He loved to have his coat scratched right at his tail and would purr like no one's business.  We, of course, had a great middle name for him - Lightening - because as a kitten and even older, when he was chubby, he was fast as lightening!  He was my absolute favorite!


By the time my brother graduated high school, we had to put Theo down and Eleanor had been gone for awhile.  We headed out to the Humane Society and picked out a new cat.  I always told my mom that Lily was her replacement for my brother when he went to college.  We got Lily when she was just a kitten (notice the difference in names - my mom named the first two, while I got to name Lily), and she was definitely a kitten.  She was so tiny, I remember her curling up in a Kleenex box!  Lily and I had a love/hate relationship for the two years I was still in high school after we got her.  She would terrorize me by hiding underneath the coffee table in the morning and then jump out and pounce on my feet as I would walk by to get breakfast.  I know she was just playing, but I did not want to play with her that way.  Fast forward 13 years and Lily still has her kitten tendencies, running around the living room like she is still just a baby.  She is obsessed with my mom, likes my dad, and tolerates me.  I think because my brother was off at college shortly after we got her, they never bonded and she just isn't a fan most days.  We all love her, though.  She, like all our other pets were, is one of the family.



While I don't have any pets of my own right now, I love the fact that I grew up with them and still have Lily to go home to at my parents.

You can check out all my other Show & Tell Tuesday posts below.





Linking up with AndreaLauraJennand Mackensey.



17 comments:

  1. I feel like the pets you grew up with as a kid definitely have a special place in your heart. I remember my first pet, a cat that my parents got before I was born, and she was a doll. Loved her so much! When you get a pet of your own they hold a special place for different reasons (but also a lot of work haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't grow up with animals, so I appreciate hearing the stories of others! I have my first pet, Charlie! He's 6 and the cutest dog ever (#biased)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend and I once snuck kittens into our dorm room in college as pets! They were hilarious to watch together. Love this post about your past pets and current one. The memories of a great pet always stay with you!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an adorable post! I'm sad I didn't grow up with any cats or dogs (we always had guinea pigs and fish), but I love having Roxy now. Yay for getting to love on Lily when you visit your parents <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with three cats and I miss them so much now! Your cats are all so pretty but you're right, Eleanor was gorgeous! Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with cats growing up too and definitely miss them and look forward to going home and getting to see the cat my parents have now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww how cute!! I love cats but I'm super allergic so can't have any!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet post Emily! Such sweet kitty cats! I saw Andrea was doing this today and thought about looking up our Daisy girl, such a fun post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness what a sweet collection of cats! Plus I LOVE the name Lily :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eleanor was so pretty! Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats, so I can never have one. But I always grew up with a dog, so I know the amazing bond you get with animals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eleanor was beautiful! I love her little pink nose! I'm loving all of these posts about pets today... I love seeing all of the sweet little fur babies that everyone grew up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet and definitely sends me on a trip down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally love this post. All of your cats were so adorable!! I always had a dog growing up but my husband had cats. When we got married, we took the cats with us and I couldn't love them anymore! Lily looks a lot like our cat Boomer who passed away earlier this year.

    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww eleanor's coat looks sooo soft!! your kitties were all so beautiful! i grew up with two cats, as well, before we got dogs... and horses... and more cats... and donkeys... but i digress! anyway, i love kitties!! and i love the walk down memory lane! so sweet. makes me emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved reading about all of your cats! Each of them are very different. We just have the one right now, who's super patient with Sophie haha.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think having pets as a child is a real blessing! It sounds like you had some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such cute kitties!! You've had a lot of sweet cats in your life. I laughed at your story about getting a cat to take the place of your brother. My parents got a dog (their first dog) the year I went off to college. I always tease them that Maxx was my replacement. I saw that you're from the Midwest - I'm in Indiana!!

    ReplyDelete