Tuesday, June 14, 2016

San Diego

Last week I was in San Diego for work.  While the majority of the time was spent in a conference, I was able to explore a little in the evenings with a co-worker and his wife.

The hotel we stayed at was in a great location.  It was right by the water, as well as the popular Gaslamp Quarter.  The first day we headed down to that area for dinner.  We ate at Union, which had amazing shrimp and grits.  This area is just full of restaurants and shops.  We made our way down to Ghirardelli for some ice cream.  It was set up as an old school ice cream shop, which was really neat.  After walking off our ice cream, we headed back to the hotel to get rested before the start of the conference.

The next day we went to dinner at the cutest pizza place, Flour & Barley, close to our hotel.  It was neatly decorated inside and the pizza was delicious.  Because it was close to the water, we ended up walking along the water after dinner.  There were so many ships and museums right on the water.  Had time allowed, I would have loved to check some of those places out.  

I was worn out by the next day and just hung out in my room that evening.  There is a two hour time difference between San Diego and St. Louis, so it was a bit of an adjustment.  However, I made up for that the next day.  We only had half a day of the conference, so we made our way to Balboa Park.  It is such a neat area.  Full of museums, gardens, and the San Diego Zoo!  Lunch was at a fun outdoor restaurant, in conjunction with the art museum.  I definitely could see spending the day there with a meat and cheese plate and some yummy cocktails.  After some downtime at the hotel, we headed to a little shopping area, Seaport Village, that was full of fun touristy places and restaurants.  I ended the evening with some yummy ice cream...I feel like I never go out and get "real" ice cream, I usually just stick with fast food shakes or a McFlurry, so getting an ice cream cone was such a treat.


 See you later, St. Louis!

Hello San Diego! 

room view

room view 

Flour & Barley





Balboa Park 



Seaport Village purchase

San Diego was such a neat city.  I would definitely love to go back for vacation.  

Linking up with LauraJennand Mackensey.

  

26 comments:

  1. So jealous of all your travels lately! San Diego looks gorgeous, and all of that ice cream sounds right up my alley! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty is San Diego! You've hit the jackpot with fun work trips lately :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I went to SD two years ago and we LOVED it!!! Definitely go back for vacation. I had a work trip out there and we just extended it and explored. We definitely plan on going back!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. San Diego is such a fun city. I haven't been in a few years but would love to go back. Such beautiful views on the water! Glad you had a little time at night to explore!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Diego is such a great city! I have very fond memories of going to the zoo there as a child! So glad you get to go to wonderful (and warm!) places for work!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Diego looks so fun, I always wanted to go there. You're better than Trip advisor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, looks like a great trip! I haven't been out to San Diego in probably 10+ years... I think it might be time to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome you got to get out and explore a bit even though the majority of it was work! San Diego is such a fun city, I totally need to go back soon! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like an amazing trip!! I haven't been to San Diego since I was like 10, but I remember loving it - there was so much to see and do. I really hope o go back someday!

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eating out is one of the best parts of vacationing! so much good food!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that city! The view from your room looked at the hotel that I stayed in (The Embassy Suites)--if only I hadn't been there 5 years ago lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, you squeezed a lot into that trip! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I've always wanted to go to San Diego... it's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are going to San Diego (well CA in general) next year. I am so excited! It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE San Diego!! Until recently my Aunt lived there so I grew up going almost every year to see her and that would be our family vacation. I've been there dozens of times and I never get sick of it. The waterfront is the best, with Seaport Village and the navy ships and Gaslamp district! I'm so glad you had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. San Diego is one of my favorite cities! I love Balboa Park, it's a treasure nestled into the city!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun trip-- it's definitely on my list of places to visit one day. Flour & Barely looks like such a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to San Diego for work too and absolutely loved it, especially Balboa Park and the zoo! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see the seaport area, but looks like you got some amazing shots. Love the boat pic! Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. San Diego is on my must visit list, especially Balboa Park because it was in my favorite childhood book! Fun work trip for sure! happy tuesday!!
    Linds @ Not A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  19. We visited San Diego last year, and we fell in love with the city! It's just so cool! It sounds like you stayed in a great part of the city too that's close to a lot! And hooray for half day conferences!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! I have San Diego on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a fun trip, only wish you had more time to actually enjoy the city. I've never been to San Diego, let alone California, but it's definitely on my short list of places to go. Looks like a great view from your hotel and all the food places you hit up sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those pictures are so gorgeous! I never thought much about visiting San Diego but I would love to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great spot for a work trip - it's such a nice city with the best weather!

    ReplyDelete
  24. San Diego is such a fun city! I loved exploring the Gaslamp area too. There’s so much to see/do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love San Diego and miss visiting there. It's been a year since I went. So much great food, sights and drinks.

    ReplyDelete