Thursday, June 30, 2016

Portillo's Chopped Salad

Portillo's is one of my very favorite places to eat.  My mom and I always stop there during our Black Friday shopping, or really any time we go shopping up north (Chicago suburbs).  I always get the same thing, a hot dog and chocolate shake, but they have a ton of other items on their menu, too, one of them being a chopped salad.  While I have never actually had the chopped salad at the restaurant, my grandma received this copy-cat recipe from a friend.  She made it for us awhile ago and it's been a favorite ever since.  It's seriously so good, it almost makes me want to get the salad next time I am there...and that's saying a lot!



Portillo's Copy-cat Chopped Salad
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
2 1/2 cups chopped red cabbage
4 cups cooked Ditalini pasta
1 small container of grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup green onions, diced (I leave out - personal preference!)
1 small red onion, minced
1 cup bacon crumbles
1 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
Marzetti Sweet Italian dressing (find in the refrigerated section by the produce)


Layer ingredients in a large bowl.  Toss with desired amount of dressing.  Enjoy!

To keep the salad fresher for longer, my mom suggests using all romaine lettuce - it's sturdier than iceberg.  As with most salads, if you just dress your individual portion instead of the entire thing at once, it will stay better.  This is also a great salad to make ahead of time.  You can get everything ready, then store each ingredient in individual containers in the fridge.  That way, if you are serving it to a group, or even just yourself, everything is ready to go right then!

I think this salad is great by itself, but adding a bit of chicken to the salad, or just on the side is delicious, too!

Linking up with Annie.

13 comments:

  1. I have never had a salad with ditalini pasta. Looks amazing!! And great tip on how to make it ahead of time!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm Portillos is our FAVORITE!! We always get the chopped salad, and the hot dogs, and the cheese fries, and their milkshakes. Where are you? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago :)

    I will have to try this recipe out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That sounds so good! I love a light salad!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought to try a salad with pasta but this really does sound so yummy! Add in some chicken and you have the perfect lunch! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy deliciousness! You had me at bacon and gorgonzola, and of course pasta <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Portillo's, but this salad sounds amazing! I need to add it to my list since I eat salad almost every day for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this salad looks delish. i love romaine, so crunchy. good tip about making individual portions instead of all at once. they go bad so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a hotdog from Poritllos! It was tasty. The salad looks awesome, though! Love being inspired by favorite restaurant recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love Portillo's! Their cheese fries and chocolate shake are amazing! I've heard great things about their salad too but have never gotten it, definitely gonna try it the next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious! I've never eaten at Portillo's, but I bet I'd love this salad. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to Portillos and definitely didn't consider the salad haha Glad to know it's a good choice too though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! This looks good! I always need a nice salad to pair with hearty Italian dishes, and this looks perfect. I am definitely going to give it a try. And, I'll probably leave out the green onions, too. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete