Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Dad's 60th Birthday

My dad celebrated his 60th birthday on Saturday.  My parents hosted a cookout at their house for family and a few close friends.  It was such a great time!  While my dad was insistent we keep it low key, my mom did make sure it was quite festive.  

My mom decided to go red and black for the color theme.  We picked up a few different scrapbook paper patterns from Hobby Lobby and created banners.  The table centerpieces were pictures of my dad, photocopied in black and white, stuck to red and black card stock.  My mom collects antique frogs, so we used those to hold the pictures upright on the tables.  If you have been a long-time reader, you might remember us doing something similar for my sister in law's baby shower!  To welcome everyone, we had balloons and a chalkboard by the front door.  The food table center piece included a few daisies and little flags that said "Happy Birthday".  Just little touches, that turned out so cute and pulled everything together!  








We had your typical cookout food, and in addition to lemonade, water and beer, we made the Strawberry-Lemon sangria I shared in this post.  It was delicious!  Refreshing and sweet, but not so much so that it became too much.  





I have to share with you a few of the gifts my dad received.  One gift he received was a Route 66 mug, along with a box of Milk Duds.  Included in the gift was a rolled up note with a little poem, telling my dad that for my parents' birthday's, they are going to take them on the train to Chicago where Route 66 begins, to a restaurant that gives out free Milk Duds!  Living in Pontiac, a town that Route 66 runs through, being a big car person, and loving Milk Duds, this is the perfect gift for my dad.  Another present that really stood out in my mind, was from one of my aunt and uncle's.  They, along with each of my cousins, wrote down memories they had of my dad.  It was so fun reading their different stories of my dad and reminiscing.  My dad also received a selfie stick.  It's an inside joke from my cousin's wedding a few weeks back.  I kept trying to take selfies with my dad and it was cracking up the table.  We were just being goofy and trying to figure out the best angle and couldn't stop laughing!  Just such thoughtful and creative gifts!  I just know that they meant so much to my dad, along with all the other gifts he received that day.  Which, the invite said no gifts, but hey, when you are 60, people just want to celebrate!

It was such a wonderful day.  I know my dad had the best time, which is all you really want when throwing a birthday party.  Cheers to 60, Dad!  May it be the best year yet!



Linking up with LauraJennand Mackensey.

18 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your dad! He sounds like such a great dad! I love those thoughtful gifts he received. I'm sure he'll love the trip to the start of Route 66 and the trip down memory lane is do sweet :)
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun party! I love all the little personal touches! Those presents sound awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Y'all did such a great job decorating and I love how you included the older pictures of your dad! I'm sure those were so fun for everyone to go back and look at. You're so blessed to have such a great relationship with your dad!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO fun! You guys went all out! Love all the old school pictures too, too funny! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice party-those little extra touches like the pictures and Chalkboad can really make a party feel so special! What thoughtful gifts too, what awesome people your dad has in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great celebration for your dad, and loving the color scheme your mom picked out. I knew the sangria would be a big hit, looking forward to making a batch in a few months when I can enjoy it :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your dad! Y'all threw a great celebration for him - love all of the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun party!!!! My Dad is turning 60 this year too so I need to steal some ideas ;) Definitely want to try out that sangria too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the decorations turned out so perfect for your dad's party, and I love that you had pictures of him throughout as well! Just from your descriptions of your dad, the Route 66 mug and trip sound perfect for him! Heck it sounds like something that I'd love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I love the color scheme and decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys went all out and it looks like it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, you know I LOVE the red and black... GO DAWGS! Hehe. Second of all, everything turned out so great! I love all of the detail that you guys put into it. And that Route 66 gift! So thoughtful! I'm glad that you guys had a fantastic weekend celebrating your daddy. Happy birthday to him again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the theme, you guys did such a great job with all the little touches. The route 66 gift is so cool-- gifts that are thought out like that really are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great theme for a summer birthday! All the details are my favorite part!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    Stylin In St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the photos of your father through the years. Such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun looking party! Happy b-day to your dad :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun party! Loving the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete