Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Morels & Microbrews

Saturday, we took a little day trip to Fulton, MO.  Fulton is a super cute little town in the middle of Missouri.  Their claim to fame is Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech made at Westminster College.  There is a Churchill museum there, which was the original reason for our trip.  However, as I mentioned yesterday, we didn't quite make it to the museum.

We got into town right around lunch time, so we stopped at a place I had found online, Bek's.  I lucked out this time with my googling - this restaurant was great!  The atmosphere was really neat.  It was right downtown in an older building, so lots of great character.  The restaurant was huge, too, so people weren't crammed together in a small space.  We ordered the spinach dip for an app and then split the fried cod sandwich and Bek's burger.  Everything was great!  The service was on point, too.  Our food came out so fast.




The restaurant was in the Brick District which has some shops and other restaurants.  We walked around after we ate and browsed.  One of the antique stores was HUGE and just chalk full of stuff.  I actually was able to find some goods, though.  My grandma collects little creamers and I was able to find two there!  I always look when I am out, but I never, ever find any.  I was seriously so excited.  It worked out even better, too, with Mother's Day around the corner, my mom is going to include them in my grandma's Mother's Day present.  There was also this amazing bookstore downtown.  I was in love.  It was a used book store, so all the books were really cheap, but still in great shape.  I think that would be one of my dream jobs.  I spent quite a bit of time in there looking around, and picked up a few new books to read.



When I was looking up things to do online, I saw that Fulton was holding their annual Morels & Microbrews Festival.  It ended up being on the street right where we had lunch and did some shopping.  So, instead of heading to the museum, we decided to stay and do the beer tasting.  It was so much fun!  There were a bunch of small brewers there, live music, and food.  Since we had just ate, we didn't indulge in any of the food, but enjoyed our tastings and the music.  I was seriously obsessed with the band.  They had like a bluegrass-type feel that just was perfect for the event.



The festival got a bit crowded, so we decided to call it quits.  Instead of heading right home, we headed to the college campus.  It was so gorgeous.  We did get our dose of history, as there were 8 sections of the Berlin Wall displayed on the campus.  It just blows my mind to think that I was standing and touching something that full of history.  So, so cool.




Fulton, MO turned out to be even better than I expected.  I can't wait to go back and check out the museum.  They also have what looks to be a really neat auto museum, so I have hopes of checking that place out, too.  Such a great little town, only about an hour and a half away from the city!

Linking up with LauraJenn, and Mackensey.

20 comments:

  1. So fun that you were able to enjoy the festival - wasn't the original plan, but seems like it was a fun time! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a fun day trip!! I love getting to explore and stumbling into a fun parade type day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day trip! I love exploring new places and how sweet to find something for your grandmama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love festivals! Glad y'all got to enjoy that one! And how wonderful it must have been to see pieces of history up close--I had no idea that that little town was so full of history.
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little town is so cute! Glad you guys had a great time and splitting food at a new restaurant is such a smart idea so you get to try multiple things!<3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, what a great day! And what a great title for your post, just loved it! My husband and I love a good microbrew too I'm so happy you got to enjoy a wonderful sunshiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun little day trip! I love antique stores!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip! Isn't the Berlin Wall awe-inspiring? They have a section in D.C. and I just couldn't get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so glad you had a good time!! and found lots of fun things to do (i love antique stores!!) and yummy things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun little trip!!! I love outdoor festivals like that.. mostly because I like people watching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like such a cute place! And that restaurant reminds me of one of our favorite local restaurants here in town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip. I love seeing historical places and museums like that - so cool that you were able to add the festival to your weekend as well. And that spinach dip looked delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You find the cutest places when you travel! And that food looks amazing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats so cool you were able to find some creamers for your grandmother! the festival sounds lots of fun until it got crowded. how cool is the piece of the berlin wall?! amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stumbling upon a great festival and some great shops is the best! I swear, I could probably spend days in used bookstores! It's always so much fun to see what books are there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun trip-- your lunch sounds like it was so good, I love when you luck out finding a place! I love book stores and antique stores are so fun, glad you were able to find a few things for your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun mini trip. Great that you were able to find something that your grandma loves! Your food looks so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love spinach dip! Your food is making me hungry.

    How nice for your grandma! I bet she'll love them, I love antique chotskys.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this little peek at Fulton! My best friend went to William Woods & has always raved about the town. I never got to visit her out there so it's nice to see a little bit of it & you know I love that you went to a microbrew festival :)

    ReplyDelete