Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mom's Meatloaf

I love my mom's meatloaf.  When I head back to my parents, I almost always ask my mom to make her meatloaf.  It is just so good!  I don't normally make it for myself, even though it is one of my favorite meals.  To switch things up though, I decided to make it for dinner this week.  It's super easy, doesn't require a ton of ingredients, and one of my favorite things about this meatloaf, the leftovers taste amazing - cold or heated up!


Mom's Meatloaf
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well with your hands.  Place in a loaf pan, shaping the meatloaf into a loaf shape (somewhat rounded at the top).  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Remove meatloaf from the oven and discard of the excess grease, using a baster.  Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

I love adding a little ketchup to my meatloaf when eating (as you can see in the picture above).  My family also loves eating it as a cold sandwich the next day.  No matter how you like it, it is delicious!

Linking up with Laura, Jenn, Mackensey, and Mary.    

22 comments:

  1. Yum!! I cook my mom's recipe for meatloaf....must be a mom thing? haha! Hope you have a great day today!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had traditional meatloaf in a while. I usually make my sundries tomato and feta meatloaf which is also incredible! Definitely check that out sometime if you're in the mood to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I love ANY meatloaf ans usually make ours in the crock pot!! Definitely going to be trying yours!! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! There's nothing like mom's home cooking! And of course all I hear when I read this post was "Maaaaaa the meatloaf!!!" <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite comfort meals for sure! My mother always makes more and freezes me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love meatloaf!! haven't had this in AGES. the recipe sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh! Meatloaf is the best! I love my mom's version, too. I always try to make it, but it just doesn't taste quite the same as hers!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! This looks so good!!! It's funny how everyone has "that dish" their mom that is their fav. Mine's my mom's spaghetti!! Even though I have her recipe I swear she makes it better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy but all I could think about when reading this was the scene from Wedding Crashers (right?!) where Will Ferrell's character yells "Ma! The meatloaf!!" It's now a running joke in our house!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good! Ive never heard of using oatmeal in meatloaf, so I'll have to for sure give that a try!

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite thing that I always request for my mom to make is her meatloaf as well! It is soooo good! I need to get her recipe and compare it to your mom's because it looks similar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I love meatloaf too, I always use my Great-Grandma's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meat loaf is so good! I love mixing it up and trying different recipes.. I'll def try your mom's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were on the same page with the meatloaf posts this week :) This sounds like such a good version-- my mom's meatloaf (that's probably similar to this) is my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you can believe it, I never really are meatloaf growing up. It's weird I know! Your mom's recipe sounds and looks so delicious! I definitely need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I always love using my mom's recipes so it's just how I like it, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have actually never made meatloaf before! I don't really know why, but I want to! I'll be using this recipe when I make it :)
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm...never seen oatmeal in a meatloaf recipe! Will be trying this for sure! Meatloaf and mashed potatoes make the very best leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Meatloaf sounds great on a rainy day like this!!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing beats a home cooked meal like meatloaf! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm! Looks and sounds delicious! I haven't had meatloaf in ages! But you are reminding me that I should make it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like meatloaf, and trying different variations of it. This recipe sounds good. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete