Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Weekend Recap

Happy Wednesday!  As I mentioned Monday, I was taking the past few days off due to my work travel.  I got back last night and boy, am I tired.  It has been a full few days!  Let's rewind back to last Friday and start with the gala.

Friday I left work a little early so I could get ready for the Provident gala.  Thank goodness I did.  I was having some major hair issues, which ended up taking me forever to get ready.  I was hoping to take some individual pictures to showcase my dress, but I was on a time crunch and that did not happen.  Luckily, I got some group shots to share.  We met for a quick bit to eat before the gala at Morgan Street Brewery.  This was a bar I frequented in college...I actually never knew it was a real restaurant until the past few weeks.  The food was delicious, though.  I ordered the Greek salad for something lighter and it was delicious!  Everyone else's food looked awesome, too.  We got to the gala shortly after everyone was seated for dinner.  The plan was to assist in the beginning, then attend the post party for drinks and dessert.  We ended up having to deal with the silent auction for the majority of the night.  Luckily, we were able to sit in on the keynote speaker, Kevin Hines.  He has an amazing story.  He attempted to commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, however, he survived.  You can read more about his story here.  After the speaker, there was a matching auction to help raise money for a new phone system at Provident.  An updated phone system is imperative to the crisis hotline, which can truly mean life or death for someone.  The new system will cost $100,000 and I am so happy to say that they were able to raise that money through a matching auction at the gala!  This doesn't include all the other money raised at the gala through various things, such as the silent auction, ticket sales and raffles.  Just amazing!  I can't wait to hear the final numbers - the event seemed like such a great success!  To make thing easier, we got a room to stay overnight at the hotel.  It was wonderful to just go a few floors up, rather than deal with driving home from downtown.  




The next day was relaxing with breakfast in the room.  I had a wonderful Belgian waffle with fresh berries.  It was the perfect way to start my Saturday.  



If you have been reading here for awhile, you know how much I love going to the movies.  It should be no surprise that I found myself at the theater later on Saturday to see Eddie the Eagle.  This was a very heart warming story about a boy, Eddie, that wants so very much to make it the the Olympics.  It is based off a true story, however, don't look too much into it, because you will see the movie and the story found online are quite a bit different.  It's a little sad, because I think his story would have made a great movie without all the changes.  Still, I would recommend watching.

Sunday I headed out to Naples.  I was a bit worried about flying alone, however, my boss switched flights, so we ended up on the same one.  It made me feel a lot more comfortable.  After we got in, I dropped him at his hotel, then made my way to where I was staying.  Since it was a bit of a last minute decision for me to attend the conference, the main hotel was already all booked.  I walked around a bit, then spent a good portion of the afternoon reading at the pool.  It was a bit chilly at points, but it was still so very nice to be out and laying next to the pool.  I attempted to watch the Oscars, but ended up falling asleep and missing the majority of the show.  I guess traveling wore me out!




I wasn't sure what exactly to expect with this conference, but I spent the majority of the time working away.  This is for the benefit of my dad - he jokingly would call my work trip a "vacation."  Unfortunately, Dad, it was all work starting on Monday.  Although, I have to say, my view while working some on Monday was not too shabby at all!  We had dinner and drinks at The Catch on Monday night which was delicious.  I had the scallops and would highly recommend them!  



Tuesday was a whirlwind of meetings with investors before making our way to the airport.  Luckily, we had an uneventful flight home.  I am so thankful I had the opportunity to go, because I really think it gave me invaluable insight into my job, not to mention how the analysts see things.  And while I really did enjoy it, I am very glad to be home.

Now it is back to the normal grind.  I am definitely looking forward to Friday.  It feels like it has been a long week already!

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.   

  

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a successful work trip, lady! Glad you're home and head up, it's almost Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People always think that business trips are fun but I actually find them to be more work than being in the office!!

    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had such a busy weekend! It's awesome that the gala raised enough money to start a new hotline. Programs like that are so important!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress you wore for the gala - so pretty! Glad to hear that the work trip was a success!! Sounds like fun too! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that the trip went well (and the flight! You did it!!) Looks like it was a great time, and very cool that you got to listen to the Key Note Speaker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fabulous work trip, and you can't beat those views! And LOVING your dress that you wore to the gala, glad both the gala and the trip were a success <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a busy few days! Your dress from the gala is so pretty, that's awesome they were able to raise so much money for such a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow quick but busy trip- you're probably exhausted! That's awesome that they raised enough money for a new system!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics and I'm sure it was a good time, even though you're exhausted!

    Laura
    www.blackcoffeebeautiful.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun work trip! Love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it was a great work trip! I'm sure you are exhausted. Hope you get some must needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home! Looks like a great weekend to me and you looks fab at the gala!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You looked great for the gala (hair came together just fine!!). Love that Florida sunshine even if you had to work all the way through it; it's nice to have a change of scenery and weather once in a while!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gala dress was so pretty! You looked great--and so did your hair! Glad you had a great time in FL!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew... get some rest this week, busy bee!! Your dress was so cute for the gala!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You looked so pretty at the gala! That dress is gorgeous!

    I'm glad that your trip went well and that you're now home safe and sound. I don't like the idea of flying alone either, so I would have been relieved to fly with my boss as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so pretty at the gala- your dress is too cute :) How awesome that so much money was raised! Glad your first work traveling experience went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The gala sounds like such a blast, and you looked so pretty! Thank goodness the hair crisis was averted! Your work trip sounded like so much fun! I love when you're able to spend some time relaxing, even when you're traveling for work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That must've been nice to soak up a little sunshine on your trip! The dress you wore to the gala is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dress you ended up with for the gala! I'm glad your work trip was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The gala sounds like such a success! How wonderful that they were able to raise all the money the needed for the new phone system! Also, I'm really curious about Kevin's story so I'm going to read more about that after I finish this comment.

    Glad the work trip went well! That pool looks so inviting. Glad you got to spend a little bit of time with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun couple of days! That gala and then heading to FL for work - awesome!

    ReplyDelete