Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Weekend Recap - Birthday Edition

Happy Tuesday!  So glad Monday over.  After being gone for a few days, the first day back to work is usually a doozy and yesterday was one for sure.  Instead of talking about that, though, let's go back to the weekend for a recap.

My weekend started on a Thursday.  We headed to Hermann, MO, for a relaxing few days.  Hermann is a small German town about an hour away from St. Louis.  It has a ton of wineries in town and right outside, as well as some good restaurants and cute little shops.  We actually went there last year to celebrate my birthday and enjoyed it so much, that we decided to go back.  Instead of making this post extremely long, I am going to share some photos and then hit the hot spots of places to go in Hermann.  

As I mentioned, Hermann is only about an hour from my apartment.  Which thank goodness for that.  Thursday, I took the morning to pack and get everything ready.  I was so proud of myself, I didn't overpack and I was ready in plenty of time.  As we get on the road, I realize I forgot to grab the water bottle I set out...that should have been a sign of things to come.  On the road, I realized I forgot about 5 more things.  Nothing extremely important, but still items I had meant to bring.  Then, we get to the hotel and I start to switch over my purse (why I didn't just do this at home, who knows) and realize I forgot my drivers license.  How in the world could I forget that?  I literally started to tear up.  I was just so dang proud of myself for having everything together, only to slowly realize that I didn't at all and I FORGOT MY ID!  I mean the whole point was to go to wineries.  Again, thankfully we were only an hour away, so after I calmed down, we grabbed some lunch and headed back home to get my drivers license.  I just have to brag on my bf during this, too.  He handled it like a champ - he calmed me down, fed me, made jokes, and did not show one bit of annoyance at all that we had to go back home (even after me asking him approximately 90983 times if he was upset with me).  The trip went smoothly after that, but boy what a start!  


The Inn

Concert Hall - We ate here twice!

Sunset on the walk to dinner. 

Dinner at Black Walnut - everything was delicious!

Breakfast room at the Inn

Sitting area in the breakfast room.

Tin Mill Brewery

Hermannhof Winery Cellar 


Lodging: 
The Inn at Hermannhof.  The rooms are gorgeous and the bathrooms are amazing.  I can't say enough good things!

Food & Drink:
Concert Hall.  We ate there twice.  Great bar food with some yummy German food thrown in there.  If you are lucky you will get Roz - she was my favorite waitress!

Black Walnut Bistro.  SO GOOD.  Definitely a nicer dinner for the area, but well worth the money.  Everything we ate was delicious.  Cindy was a fabulous waitress, too.

Tin Mill Brewery.  A neat atmosphere and perfect for those non-wine lovers.  The brat with sauerkraut was really good, too.

Hermannhof Winery.  Loved this winery!  With our stay at the inn, we got a free tasting and 15% off our purchases.  The wine tasting was really fun - we had a great lady serving us who was so personable and knowledgable.  With the nice weather we were able to grab a bottle, their snack picnic (recommended by another awesome Hermannoff employee) which included your choice of sausage, cheese, an apple, warm bread (or crackers) and a even a knife to cut everything with, and sit outside to enjoy the weather, and of course, the company.

To work off all the yummy food and drink, there are a bunch of little shops to walk to and browse.  Not to mention, the town itself is super cute, I enjoyed walking around and looking at all the little houses, many of which were cottages available to rent. 

It was such a fun time - I think this may become a tradition!  I love the fact that it is such an easy drive from St. Louis and has so much to offer.

The rest of the weekend included a movie (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) and relaxing.

Linking up with Laura for Tuesday Talk.

  

26 comments:

  1. I am so forgetful and I'm glad to find out I'm not the only person who is as well!! Glad you weren't too far away and could go get your ID!

    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like quite a fun weekend. Don't beat yourself up too much, we've all left something as important as an id one time or another. So glad the BF was able to calm you down and you were able to get it and enjoy the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a really fun weekend! First, props to your boyfriend for not getting mad at you! My husband would have probably been mad at me haha! This town looks so cute--love that you got to eat at some really good restaurants and enjoy some wine tastings! We're going to visit a winery in Nashville once the weather warms up, so your post has me excited!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I'm sorry your vacay started off a little rough, but like you said thankfully you were close to home and able to get everything you needed!! Sounds like a perfect birthday weekend! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect trip minus the drivers license debacle! Don't worry, you aren't alone there either. I've totally left my ID behind before! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful birthday weekend! That Inn looks gorgeous and so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was a great weekend getaway, except for the ID! Thank goodness you were pretty close! That brat with sauerkraut looks so amazing and how fun to visit a brewery and winery!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute little town! And great way to celebrate your birthday! I'm glad that despite the rough beginnings you were still able to have great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a wonderful birthday weekend! How was that movie? I really wanted to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quaint, fun, and yummy! Perfect weekend for the perfect birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute town! That's great it's only an hour away but feels like you're so far from the city!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute little town! I love touristy places like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I could count the # of times either me or my hubby forgot our ID's!! One time he forgot his ID when we were 10 hours from home and going to be on vacation for 8 days... that was rough!! Glad everything turned around. Looks like an adorable town and a great time!! Happy 29th again!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this looks so cool! I love German towns. I've totally done that before.. an hour into a trip once I realized I forgot my ID. I don't remember how I was able to get into bars still but I did =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect birthday weekend! Glad that you have a patient BF... and that sounds like something I would do leaving my license behind on the way to a wine tour! Haha.

    Also - YOUR DRESS!! SO CUTE! I'm loving some gingham right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man- the forgotten ID! I feel like I've done that before, I feel your pain! So glad that boy of your rocks and it got squared away ;) That town/inn looks so fun- a great place to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful little town! And man I've been there forgetting stuff, love how understanding your boyfriend was and kept your spirits up as you drove back for your ID. He's a keeper for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sucks that you had such a rocky start to your trip, but it's great that the rest of your trip went smoothly! Wineries, breweries, good food, and shopping, I don't think that you could have asked for a better birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday! I love visiting cute towns like this with good food and some brewery/winery action. Sounds like a fun way to ring in your 29th year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a pretty town! Looks like you had a great birthday weekend, despite the ID hiccup! How did you like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I have heard that it's really good!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no about the rough start to the trip, but at least you were close enough to home that you could swing back and pick up the ID. This town looks adorable, kind of reminds me of Gruene, TX which is an adorable little town with shops, wineries, etc. That Inn looks so adorable too! Hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh I hate when I forget my license! I've totally done that before since I bring my license with me to work every day (in my wallet) and then on the weekends I switch it into my purse from my work bag. One time we cabbed somewhere and we got to the door and I was like "omg I forgot it" and they wouldn't let me in, so we had to cab all the way back home to get it. SO annoying! I'm glad it didnt ruin the rest of the time tho!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like an amazing birthday weekend! Happy belated :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh goodness, what a rough start to the trip! I'm glad you were only an hour away, though, so you could go back to get your ID!! It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Belated Birthday (I'm so behind this week!) but this looks like the best weekend! Anything with a winery involved is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like it was a nice birthday! The winery sounds like my kind of place.

    ReplyDelete