Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Show & Tell Tuesday: Hometowns

I am so excited to share my hometown with you today -  Pontiac, IL.  


via 

Pontiac is a small, rural town that is basically surrounded by corn and bean fields.  If you drive up to Chicago on interstate 55, you may have passed by Pontiac.  It's only about 100 miles away from Chicago.

I loved living in Pontiac.  At the time, I may not have appreciated it as much, but now I realize how great it was.  There wasn't always a ton to do, but we worked with what we had.  One summer my friends and I literally hung out at our high school parking lot every single night, maybe would run out to Taco Bell for a dollar taco, or just drive around town.

If you are ever in the area, here are the items on my must-see/do list.

Shopping:
Charmed Boutique.  One of my friends opened up a boutique in Pontiac's historic downtown.  She has the cutest clothing and accessories!  I always try to stop in when I am at home and usually end up picking out something new.  

Home Wishes.  Another store located on the square downtown, this one has home decor.  While a little on the country side, this store carries so many cute things!  

Food & Drink:
Mario's.  They have THE BEST pizza.  Delicious.  Also delicious are the nachos and breadsticks.  You pretty much cannot go wrong with anything.  But the pizza is definitely the star.

Pfaff's Bakery.  Their donuts are amazing.  And their cookies - pretty much anyone from Pontiac will tell you about Pfaff's smiley face cookies.  While I am not a fan, personally, I do love their gingerbread cookies.  

Chumps & Bonz.  Obviously the name alone is great.  A bit of a hole in the wall, but a really fun time.  They also have some great pizza, too.

Bob & Ringo's.  Aka - the dead animal bar.  The walls are covered in taxidermy.  Another hole in the wall, but this is for sure a Pontiac establishment.  

Sightseeing:
Swinging Bridges.  Pontiac has 3 wooden swinging bridges.  I am not a fan of the swinging they do if you walk too heavily over them, but they are pretty cool.


via 

The Pontiac-Oakland Automobile Museum.  Pontiac - as in the cars.  Definitely a cool spot located right on the square downtown.


via 

Murals.  One summer, a group called the Walldogs came to Pontiac and painted these amazing murals all throughout the downtown area.        


via 

Route 66.  Historic Route 66 goes right through town.  I know so many people are into Route 66, so it is a big tourism draw for the town.  There is also a museum in town you can check out, too!  


 My dad's '63 Corvair in front of the Route 66 mural.

Writing this post has made me miss home even more!  Glad I get to head back there in a few weeks.  Can't wait to read about everyone's hometown.

Linking up with Andrea.

See below for past Show & Tell Tuesday posts.


   

28 comments:

  1. I love small towns! I grew up in a town with around 4,000 people and I loved it. My friends from preschool are some of my very best friends and going back home is always the best!
    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable post, your hometown is so cute. A route 66 trip is on my list to one day do, we'll be sure to stop in your home town :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I live in the same small town I grew up in, and although sometimes I wished I lived in a bigger city, small towns have some really great positives! Love how quaint your small town is and how it seems like it's going back in time :)
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you ge tot head home soon too. We live in Indiana and have been to Pontiac! Great little town for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat! Hopefully you enjoyed your time there!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness - it's so charming and cute and has everything I love about hometowns in it!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanging out in parking lots and getting late night food is basically what my friends and I did in high school, yay for small hometowns! Yours sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hometowns are so nostalgic! I love stopping in towns like this on a road trip just to explore and learn about everyday life there. Hope you get to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hometown looks so cute!! Thanks for sharing about it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hometown looks beautiful and charming! I'm not sure I'd be a fan of swinging bridges either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love small towns and your hometown sounds so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little town! You're going to laugh but everything is so clean! Living in a huge tourist city people don't really respect the area as much so you tend to see a lot of garbage around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, how adorable! Those murals! The swinging bridge! So darling! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing other people's small towns! Yours looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the cutest little town!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That just looks like the cutest town!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow - your dad's car is amazing, and I just LOVE your hometown!! Totally the perfect American place to grow up :)

    Meg - Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up in a pretty small town too and we'd hang out in the parking lot of a grocery store in the evenings.. drive to Dairy Queen, drive back... oh yeah. Those were good times though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool town!! I LOVE the murals! Oh my goodness, those are amazing! I've seen so many of these home town posts today, it makes me want to do some traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm from a small town that's pretty boring, but mine isn't historic, quaint, or charming or anything. Your hometown is SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love exploring small towns! I need to have some of that pizza from Marios <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  21. i think it's great to grow up in a small town as opposed to a big city because it more homey. Love the wall murals.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love visiting small towns in the Mid West! Thanks for sharing your cute town with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's so awesome that your hometown is off of Route 66! It just seems so classically American!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds like such a cool town! The swinging bridges sound scary but neat at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't realize you were from a small town!! My favorite roomie was from a small town in AZ and we always teased her about it haha just silly jokes. I think it would be fun to live in a small town for a little bit, just to experience it! I've been a city girl all my life though! My dad is from Champagne Urbana, not sure how close that is to you, but if I ever go back to visit I want to visit your town!!
    xo C

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been here!! I still love that you and my husband grew up so close together! :)

    ReplyDelete