Thursday, March 10, 2016

Book Club 3.10.16

I am so excited about this post!  I have (what I think) are some really good books to share with you all today.  I love a good book, and while I normally stick to cheesy romance novels, I have been trying to read a few different books here and there.  Those books are the ones I am sharing today.

Emily & Einstein by Linda Francis Lee


This was an interesting book.  I believe it was passed on from either my mom or my grandma...a few years ago.  However, I finally got around to reading it a month or so ago.  This book is about a husband and wife whose marriage is on the rocks.  One evening, the husband is killed in a car accident.  He comes back to life in the body of a dog.  When I started reading this, I thought what in the world?  But stay with me.  The wife ultimately ends up adopting this dog and the book follows their life together after his death.  You hear from both sides, which keeps things interesting.  It is a neat story, one I was a little skeptical of, but ended up enjoying.

The Broker by John Grisham


Another book I had sitting around for quite some time.  This is about a lawyer that gets pardoned from his prison sentence by the president on his way out of office.  The idea was that this lawyer, nicknamed "The Broker," would be sent to a foreign company where he would assume a new identity, only to have his location leaked so that those who were after him prior to his sentence would eventually kill him.  This way the government would know exactly who was after them and what they were up against.  He was somewhat of a sitting duck.  However, "The Broker," had a few tricks up his sleeve as well.  I found a few parts of this book slow, and then the ending a bit too quick, but overall I thought it was a very clever book.  If you are a fan of John Grisham, then I think this book would be up your alley.

Strong Looks Better Naked by Khloe Kardashian


Khloe is probably my favorite Kardashian.  When I heard she had a book, it went on my Christmas list.  I wasn't even sure exactly what this book was about, but I knew I wanted to read it regardless.  I was SO pleasantly surprised with how much I truly enjoyed this book.  She touches on all aspects of her life.  The main focus is obviously her fitness journey, hence the name, but she covers quite a bit more, too.  I would definitely suggest reading it.  While I have been doing pretty well with my work outs this year, reading this just heightened my motivation even more.

Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist


This book is so good.  I read both this book and Khloe's book on the plane rides to and from Florida.  I loved them both so much, but as high as Khloe's left me, this one was the extreme opposite.  The only way I can think to explain it, is that this book left me emotionally drained.  Just wrecked.  Shauna gives you all these different life stories with recipes to go with them.  They just make you feel.  I may have felt more touched by this because she lives in Chicago and vacations in Michigan, close to where my family goes, so the setting was very familiar in a way.  When I say it (rather, when I type it), it doesn't make any sense, but I loved this book, even though I felt awful afterwards.  I apologize, as this is probably not a great book review at all and may turn you off, but I definitely suggest reading this book.  And if you do, let me know your thoughts.  I am curious if I am the only person that felt this way! 

I can't wait to see what others have been reading lately.  If you have a recommendation, please leave your suggestion in the comments!

Linking up with Sarah & Victoria, Amanda and Annie.
  


20 comments:

  1. The Broker looks like my type of book. Can't wait to check it out!

    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Bread and Wine on my list for awhile, planning to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you read Khloe's book and liked it because now that means I'm going to buy it and read it! And I'm glad we share a love of the Kardashians haha!!! Thanks for linking up, Emily!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally am going to read Khloe's book! She's my favorite too-- glad it was a good read!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm adding the broker to my list - I love those kind of thrillers! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to read Khloe's book and completely forgot about it, thanks for the reminder! And The Broker sounds really interesting! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recs, lady! I've been looking for something new to add to my reading list so I'll have to check some of these out. Especially interested in the one by Khloe. I'm not crazy about the Kardashians, but I do like her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's good to know you enjoyed Khloe's book, I have been wondering about it! Like you, she is probably my favorite Kardashian, although I find myself not being able to handle the rest of them haha!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a love-hate relationship with the Kardashians, but I agree Khloe is my favorite so I am tempted to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious about Khloe's book because she's my favorite too. I'll have to add that to my reading wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually loved your review of Bread and Wine - i like books that make me feel something, but I don't want every book to be a perfectly happy book, because life isn't like that all the time. I'm excited to read it! I have it on my overdrive app waitlist, and I'm next in line so I should be getting it next week from the kindle library!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen a couple of people mention the Bread & Wine book, but I haven't looked much into it. Now I'm really curious, though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good options! I need to read that Emily and Einstein book - it sounds so good! I agree, I definitely like to read cheesy romances as well. They're just such easy quick reads to turn your brain off to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Khloe is my favorite Kardashian too, and I've been meaning to read her book! I'm glad that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i went into khloe's book with super low expectations so i was very surprised that i enjoyed it. she seems like the most down to earth for sure. that book with the husband coming back as a dog certainly sounds interesting lol. i'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you read most of your books electronically or the actual book? I wanted to read Khloe's book since before it was released but I still haven't! I know that reading it will help me get more motivated to work out.
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep wanting to reach Bread and Wine after seeing so many people read and actually recommend it. It's been on sale at our Mardel, so I might have to bite the bullet soon. If you can, link-up with me on the first Wednesday of every month for Bookworm Wednesday. I would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Khloe's book and Bread and Wine have been on my list for a while now. The broker sounds very interesting! Emily and Einstein makes me think there is a movie like that but I can't remember what it's called and now that's going to drive me crazy! Thanks for sharing!
    -Leah
    Chasing Texas

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard such incredible things about Bread & Wine, but just haven't picked it up yet. Your review has me really curious to read it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never really have been a fan of John Grisham's books. Emily & Einstein looks like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete