Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What's Hap-pinning 1.13.16

Happy Wednesday!  We have made it to the middle of the week...the weekend is in sight!

This week I have been on a new recipe kick.  I have strayed from one of my January goals of making new recipes from actual cookbooks and instead have relied on other bloggers.  I still plan on accomplishing my goal...it just won't be done this week.

Sunday I made Jenn's Pasta Fagoili soup.  I was a bit under the weather that day - pretty much all food sounded super awful - so I didn't try it out that night, but brought it to work for lunch.  It was really good!  The beef, beans, and noodles make it a really hearty meal, perfect for these cold winter days.  I have been on a soup kick for lunch and this will definitely be added into the rotation.  I would make one tweak next time.  I think I had the noodles in too long, because they were extra done when I went to eat it.  My fault, as I let it sit a little longer to cool before putting it in the frig.  Next time, unless I am eating it right then, I will put the noodles in closer to the end time.

Next up was Sarah's Green Chile Chicken Tacos.  These are seriously so good.  I was a bit nervous making them...I have a low tolerance for heat/spice and I was worried that the green chiles and the Rotel would be too much.  However, there was just the perfect amount of heat to these which added a really good flavor.  I had made some shredded chicken in the crockpot on Sunday, which made this even easier to pull together the next evening.  Definitely a huge win in my book.  The recipe says it makes 6 tacos, but I ended up having enough filling/room in my dish for 8.  The more the better when it comes to this recipe, though...you will want to savor every bite you can!   

I have been wanting a change for breakfast so when I came across this Grab-and-Go Oatmeal recipe from Jess, I knew I had to try it for myself!  I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so I substituted vegetable oil for coconut oil.  The only other thing I was missing, or so I thought, was the applesauce.  I actually ended up running to Target, so I grabbed some applesauce, no coconut oil (I just didn't think I would use it much).  I didn't have any nuts, but I was just going to use more blueberries, per Jess's suggestion.  I started making them as soon as I got home from the store when I realized...I didn't have any blueberries.  Oops.  I thought I had some in the freezer, but I was incorrect.  I just decided to add in more oats and hope for the best.  They smelled so amazing when cooking.  And I think they turned out pretty well for having to deviate from the recipe.  Next time, I am definitely going to make sure I have blueberries.  But, if I whoops it again and don't have blueberries, I am just going to add more oats and a little more cinnamon because cinnamon is just good.

On deck for this evening are Christina's Baked Enchiladas.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them!

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi.

18 comments:

  1. My mouth watering just hearing about all these wonderful recipes!!! I always like to add new ones to my collection in the Winter especially. Great ones to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you ended up liking the Pasta Fagioli! Baked Enchiladas sound heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made them and they turned out! I'm like you--I don't like a lot of spice, but I think they ended up being the right amount without being too much. The oatmeal sounds wonderful and I'm all about a grab and go breakfast. I will save for later!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made Jenn's soup and it was delicious! I definitely need to make those tacos next, I love tacos and green chiles so the perfect combo! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tacos and oatmeal sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've got me wanting to try that oatmeal! i did that recently--swore i had some pumpkin and i didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these sound so good!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad the oatmeal worked out for you!!! I've even deviated from the fruit and added sliced up pre-cooked breakfast sausage in them.. since I love the sweet/savory combo in breakfast like that.. I have mine with me for breakfast today!! Happy Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gonna need to check out that grab and go breakfast! I'm always on the hunt for new ideas for bfast!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these recipes sound so good! It's making me super hungry haha! The green chile chicken tacos sound amazing! I'm not a huge fan of heat either, so good to know it's the perfect amount. I will definitely have to check it out!

    Xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tacos are a must-make. I really, really enjoyed them...and the leftovers!

      Delete
  11. These all sound DELISH! I really want to try Jenn's pasta fagoili which would be perfect for this weather <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all sound really good! I definitely want to check out the Pasta Fagioli. I love Olive Garden's and I'd love to find some to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have so many cookbooks, but I swear that we end up mostly cooking from blogger recipes too! One of my goals is to create a cookbook from all of my online recipes so I don't have to have my phone out all the time. Everything you made sounds so delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. drooling over the baked enchiladas! must let me know how they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those tacos sound amazing! I may have to try out that recipe :)

    ReplyDelete