Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Snowball Surprise Cookies

These are my one of my very favorite Christmas cookies.  My aunt has made these for years for Christmas and I always look forward to having them.  It's basically a sugar cookie with M&M's and powdered sugar...how can you get much better than that at Christmas?


Snowball Surprise Cookies
3/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 3/4 cups of flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
M&M's

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds, or until softened.  Add sugar and salt, then beat until fluffy.  Next, add the egg and vanilla, beating well.  With the mixer on a low speed, gradually beat in flour until well mixed.  Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls, placing on an ungreased cookie sheet.  This recipe should make about 36 cookies.  Next, add the surprise - M&M's - to each cookie by pressing the candy into the dough ball and reshaping so that you can't see the candy.  I used two M&M's per ball.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are golden.  Place powdered sugar in a bag.  Transfer 2 or 3 cookies at a time to the bag of powdered sugar, gently shaking until the cookies are coated.  Cool cookies on a wire rack.  Once the cookies are cool, shake them in powdered sugar again.  Enjoy!

A big thanks for my aunt for sharing the recipe.  I was searching for it before making these...she sent it to me in 2008!  Crazy to think how long ago that has been!
   

11 comments:

  1. I havent had these cookies in years but they are one of my favorites!! I love me some M&Ms!!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that there is a surprise in these!! So fun and so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen these with M&M's in them!! Well that just changes things.... I was looking for a 2nd Christmas cookie to make, and this might have to be it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delish! I love a good Christmas cookie :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! I love cookies so I will have to add these to my list to make!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh yum! For some reason M&Ms + sugar cookie = amazingness. I was just thinking yesterday that I wanted to decorate a sugar cookie with frosting and M&Ms for that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, these sound so delicious! Girl, your holiday treat recipes have been on point!

    ReplyDelete