Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday Favorites - Christmas Traditions

Happy Friday!  I am so excited that it is finally Friday.  Can you believe Christmas is one week from today?  The time really just has flown by.  In keeping with the Christmas theme, I will be sharing five of my favorite traditions.

The first one I have mentioned before - having monkey bread Christmas morning.  My mom has been making this for us as long as I can remember.  It is always a special treat, as we usually don't have this on a regular basis.  As the years have passed and we have gotten older, more items have been added to Christmas breakfast.  However, we always have monkey bread.  You can find the recipe here.

Opening a present on Christmas Eve.  My brother and I always open each other's presents on Christmas Eve.  I love that we do this, it is so fun to have one present to open.  Last year was EXTRA special, though.  My brother and sister-in-law told us through gifts that they were having a baby.  I opened a Wizard of Oz ornament (Auntie Em!), my dad got a super small, baby wrench and last, my mom's present was a onesie.  How cute were their gifts?  Definitely a highlight of the Christmas season for all of us.

Gingerbread cookies.  In the past few years, my mom has ordered us gingerbread cookies from a local bakery, Pfaff's.  This place is the best.  Not only are the cookies awesome, they have delicious donuts.  This is something I look forward to every year.  I kept asking my mom if she had ordered them yet, because I didn't want her to forget!

Christmas puzzles.  This is a newer tradition, but one that I am so glad we started.  My mom gets a puzzle before Christmas and once everyone is home, we start putting it together.  We lay it out on the kitchen table and various times throughout the days we will all disappear to work on it, either individually or together.  One of my favorite puzzles we have done is of different Christmas doors.



Baby's First Christmas ornament.  I have a small obsession with my Baby's First Christmas ornament.  It is the sweetest little bell-shape Precious Moment's ornament.  I always make sure that it is front and center on my parent's Christmas tree.  My perfect place is right in the middle of the tree, towards the top.  I asked my mom to send me a picture today, and when she did she let me know the back story behind the ornament.  I didn't actually have an ornament for my first Christmas.  My brother received a bunch of ornaments for his first Christmas, so my mom assumed the same would happen for me.  Therefore, she didn't buy one...and neither did anyone else!  My first Christmas was ornament-less.  After the holiday passed, my mom and grandma went shopping and found my perfect ornament.  



What are your favorite Christmas traditions?  I have been reading so many different ones, I think I am going to have to adopt a few for myself!

Linking up with AndreaApril and Amanda.

    

11 comments:

  1. I used to open a present on Christmas Eve too--that was always a favorite of mine, growing up. Loving the Christmas puzzle tradition--we are a family of puzzle-lovers so this would totally go over well with our family :)
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That christmas puzzle is pretty amazing - look at all those beautiful doors!! Hope you have a great weekend! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom always made monkey bread, too! I'm going to try my hand at it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet ornament, I always love looking back at old ornaments and remembering where they came from :-) And that puzzle is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning more about people and their traditions. We used to do the Christmas Eve gift, it was always a fun treat after service. And we do puzzles too. Not always on Christmas but we enjoy doing them when everyone is home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that ornament. I always got to open one present on Christmas Eve. It was always jammies. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. doing a puzzle with your family is such a fun idea! I love that. It sounds cozy and relaxing.. all you need are pajamas and a big cup of coffee... I wouldn't move from that puzzle for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved how they told y'all they were having a baby! And it's so funny that y'all open your sibling gifts on Christmas Eve too, because that's what we do! Ahhh i'm so looking forward to next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how your brother and sister-in-law announced their pregnancy last year! So precious. I'm obsessed with my baby's first Christmas ornaments too! I have two of them...and one of them has the wrong year. And it's not like I was born in December or January where I could've been born either year. Sheesh, parents! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I had forgotten all about Precious Moments until I saw it on your post! I got a PM figurine every year for my birthday that went along with my age--do you remember those? Anyway, love your ornament and the breakfast tradition! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete