Thursday, December 3, 2015

Christmas Tags

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the wrapping of presents.  When I still lived at home, I would help my mom wrap presents.  I really enjoyed it!  And, I am a pretty good wrapper if I do say so myself!  

Every year my mom would pick one or two different patterns to use for wrapping all the presents.  I love the look of everything wrapped the same, or using a few coordinating papers.  To make the packages extra special, my mom makes her own Christmas tags.  All it takes is some card stock, a few other craft items and voila, homemade tags to set off already pretty packages!




Here is what you will need (items can be found in most craft sections/stores):
card stock
scrapbook paper
festive hole punches
buttons
embroidery floss
jingle bells
skinny ribbon
hot glue gun
permanent marker or address labels (Avery 8160)

To start off, cut the card stock into a rectangle that is 1 1/2 inches by 4 1/2  inches.  This is the perfect size if you decide to the use the address labels.  Then, use the hole punches to make whatever shape you like.  For these examples, we used snowflakes and holly leaves.  Take your embroidery floss and tie through your button holes.  Use the skinny ribbon for the jingle bells.  You can mix and match with these different combinations until you find a look that you like!  Hot glue the items down on your card stock, then add your to/from.  For this, I normally write on my tags.  My mom on the other hand, likes to use the computer to type up address labels.

The best thing about these tags is the ability to make them your own.  Between the colors, the different additives you can use, if you start with the base card stock, you have endless possibilities.  As you can see below, I opted to use kraft paper card stock, along with holly leaves and a tiny jingle bell.



How do you wrap and tag your presents?

Linking up with Amanda and Annie.   
  

14 comments:

  1. We always had a hodgepodge of paper at our house, just wrap with whatever you want. As I've gotten older I've started to keep a theme with my family and it's fun. Love your name tags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Such a cute way to add some personal touches to the gift tags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one you made! I was just thinking about how I wanted to do name tags this year. Last year I bought them from Hobby Lobby, but I was also thinking about just wrapping in butcher paper and handwriting on the gift itself. I may have to make yours if I can't find butcher paper!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute!!! I love the look of uniformly wrapped presents... but it never seems to happen at my house. This year I'm trying to figure out how to wrap presents so my 3 year old and 1 year old know which one belongs to who... I'm sure they will just open everything. Ah well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always try to use one particular paper per kid! Although, I don't know if that would keep them from opening the others. :) The tags are great, too, because you don't have to mess with ribbons and bows...I think they add enough themselves! Saves money and time!

      Delete
  5. I've always loved wrapping presents as well, and while we usually used store-bought tags, I love the idea of making your own! I haven't gone out and bought any this year, so I might just try my hand at getting a little crafty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun and easy craft to do! It makes the presents even more special, in my opinion!

      Delete
  6. I love these, Emily! It adds such a sweet, personal touch. I also like the idea of only using a couple of different papers for wrapping. Our tree always looks like the Target wrapping paper aisle exploded under it! Lol. We always use a ton of different papers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny! Sometimes it is hard to pick just one or two papers...there are so many cute ones! The tags are super sweet and are easy to make!

      Delete
  7. So pretty! I love making gift cards, it makes your gifts totally personal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool she makes her own! What a great idea.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! My grandma was super good at wrapping and decorating presents, I'm horrible! Kyle always laughs at my packing. I love yours, we have to send packages through the mail so there not always beautiful.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! I've been lazy in the past and just use the sticker gift tags. I think I'm going to go with more of a cohesive theme with our wrapping paper this year, so maybe I'll give these a whirl. :) Such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete